• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Football 2017/18

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
Not sure that would be a good idea. Imagine the window closing but Barca bid for your player who then kicks up a fuss and forces you to sell. You're now short of potentially your best player and are left with money you can't spend.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Not sure that would be a good idea. Imagine the window closing but Barca bid for your player who then kicks up a fuss and forces you to sell. You're now short of potentially your best player and are left with money you can't spend.

I think the benefits would outweigh any negatives. Clubs would have to conduct their business early. And if you have a player under contract, you don't have to sell him. That's a choice. Just make it a policy that you won't sell after the window closes.

carter777

Thinks Poch Is The GOAT

Player:Saka
I'm sure Wenger is just itching for an excuse to close up shop, anyways. "Ze vindow has clozed early" [throws hands up and shrugs].

Hope this goes through personally. Always thought it made more sense to get your club in order by first kick off and this would hopefully force that. granted I can see a few issues re other teams around Europe still having a few weeks to knick your players.

Also interesting to see this possibly happening the same year as a World Cup.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Starting to like Thierry a lot these days; called United the new invincibles, says Rashford is unplayable and recently said they should name the Premier League after Sir Alex Ferguson.

https://www.balls.ie/football/thierry-henry-on-alex-ferguson-371532

When I met him for the first time, I called him Mr. Premier League. Thirteen. this is ridiculous. The trophy we see right there should have his name. People might disagree with this, and I'm not a Man United fan. Thirteen times? This is too much.

GunnerFinn

For me United, Sp**s and City currently looking like the most likely title contenders.

United have done serious business in the transfer window and plugged holes in their side.
Sp**s have basically got the same side that finished 2nd last year. A few more signings needed but Poch seems to really know what he's doing (scary).
City under Pep and with a new big money squad could go either way but they've got enough big names and prospects to challenge for several titles.

Liverpool, Chelsea and us currently look like the outsides.

Liverpool again fairly poor in the transfer market, Salah's good but won't win them the league. Will struggle if they lose Coutinho.
Chelsea again poor in the transfer market, seem to have downgraded on various positions.;
And as for us, a couple of signings short to be an outright title contender but I remain optimistic.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Starting to like Thierry a lot these days; called United the new invincibles, says Rashford is unplayable and recently said they should name the Premier League after Sir Alex Ferguson.

It is called to 'jinx' someone :p The Fergie bit I think you can hold down to Henry's difficult relation with Wenger after the "coach or pundit" saga.

I would say though that you are real contenders this year. Mourinho, for all his human faults, usually is very good in the second season at a club. He knows how to win things. He'll set you to rights, and then it will blow up.

Lilwizzle

Established Member
For me United, Sp**s and City currently looking like the most likely title contenders.

United have done serious business in the transfer window and plugged holes in their side.
Sp**s have basically got the same side that finished 2nd last year. A few more signings needed but Poch seems to really know what he's doing (scary).
City under Pep and with a new big money squad could go either way but they've got enough big names and prospects to challenge for several titles.

Liverpool, Chelsea and us currently look like the outsides.

Liverpool again fairly poor in the transfer market, Salah's good but won't win them the league. Will struggle if they lose Coutinho.
Chelsea again poor in the transfer market, seem to have downgraded on various positions.;
And as for us, a couple of signings short to be an outright title contender but I remain optimistic.
I'm seriously struggling to understand why everyone suddenly views United as title contenders.

It pretty obvious to the world why they were so poor last year. They didn't finish 6th because they lacked another average 6ft center half, nor did they drop points to Stoke, Burnley, Hull and Bournemouth because they were missing an extra midfield destroyer. They finished 6th because of their pathetic conversion rate and lack of goals.

So how does replacing a bonafide 30 goal a season striker with a potentially 30 goal a season striker change or even improve the situation??

Unless people are expecting Pogba to go bang 25 goals from midfield:)lol:), I fail to see how they will make up the eventually 24 points they finished behind the champions. Matic isn't that good.

GunnerFinn

I'm seriously struggling to understand why everyone suddenly views United as title contenders.

It pretty obvious to the world why they were so poor last year. They didn't finish 6th because they lacked another average 6ft center half, nor did they drop points to Stoke, Burnley, Hull and Bournemouth because they were missing an extra midfield destroyer. They finished 6th because of their pathetic conversion rate and lack of goals.

So how does replacing a bonafide 30 goal a season striker with a potentially 30 goal a season striker change or even improve the situation??

Unless people are expecting Pogba to go bang 25 goals from midfield:)lol:), I fail to see how they will make up the eventually 24 points they finished behind the champions. Matic isn't that good.

First of all I don't understand this "24 points" nonsense, even when Wenger uses it. A new season is a new season. Leicester didn't make signing and changes to 'add xxx points from the previous season', they just played like a completely different team.

I see Man Utd as a serious threat because of the Mourinho second season factor, Martial and Rashford's constantly improving, Pogba having adapted to the Prem, Lukaku and Matic being excellent signings with probably more on the way (including Ibra in Jan) and there just appears to be a general mindset change.
+ they were the best team in the league in the opening week, no matter how poorly West Ham played.

Would you predict Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea to finish higher than them at the moment? I'm not sure I would..

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Internal progression seems to be very underrated in football discussion.

Yes I'm expecting our new signings to deliver, but I'm also expecting players like Rashford, Martial, Bailly, Pogba, Mkhitaryan etc. to improve from last season. Heck, I'm even expecting Mourinho to improve in his second season. I'm not saying we will win the title but we will have certainly improved from last season.

True there my dear friend. Probably one of the most hated things to talk about on this forum, almost forbidden. We should have signed 5 or 7 players this summer according to many and few wont argue because if they mention internal progression then the devil is on loose.

Chamberlain for example never been on as obvious way up as he is now, yet people want to sell 24 year old home grown player in hope that 35 million will add to some great new shiny toy.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Yes I'm expecting our new signings to deliver, but I'm also expecting players like Rashford, Martial, Bailly, Pogba, Mkhitaryan etc. to improve from last season. Heck, I'm even expecting Mourinho to improve in his second season. I'm not saying we will win the title but we will have certainly improved from last season.

When you beat a weak West Ham team ^

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Henry's certainly a terrible pundit. The other time he was on with Roy Keane and some other ex players and even Roy Keane seemed to be getting embarrassed about his need to praise everybody to the 10th degree beyond what was reasonable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom