• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Football 2018/19

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
DwRKbMLWkAAPXSq.jpg

DwRKbMJXcAYeEn1.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

@GoonerJeeves can't understand why you dislike Leeds so much

Dreadful club. The entitlement that ran through that place during the Ridsdale years were something to behold. The experience of visiting Elland Road in the 90s were not something that made you like the club. In addition the club has always been full of ****s like Dorigo, Batty, Michael Brown, Ian Harte etc...

Don't mind Bielsa, but I sincerely hope Leeds stay where they are...I'd rather see Stoke come up again.

Reactions: A_G

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
But at what cost to the Premier League's quality and overseas marketability?

Big factor here is the universal language and media machine surrounding it. There are COUNTLESS fans of top PL clubs here, and a fairly decent chunk of mid-table club fans as well. A big part of this is the players speaking a language we understand in interviews, the debate surrounding the teams being done in English etc.

If anything, more British players could well be a boon to the popularity of the league. Many foreign English speaking fans tend to rally around British players, although not exclusively obviously. England's national team is also easily one of the most talked about national teams here, even when they're ****e.

It might hurt the league's popularity in Spanish speaking regions though.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Big factor here is the universal language and media machine surrounding it. There are COUNTLESS fans of top PL clubs here, and a fairly decent chunk of mid-table club fans as well. A big part of this is the players speaking a language we understand in interviews, the debate surrounding the teams being done in English etc.

If anything, more British players could well be a boon to the popularity of the league. Many foreign English speaking fans tend to rally around British players, although not exclusively obviously. England's national team is also easily one of the most talked about national teams here, even when they're ****e.

It might hurt the league's popularity in Spanish speaking regions though.

I don't know. I think fans want their clubs to have the best players possible. I don't think they care if English is the player's first language. Fans want their teams to do well in the league and also, if they finish high enough, do well in Europe. I don't think many watch with a player's native language in mind.

Imagine if suddenly there were virtually no players from outside the British Isles playing in the Premier League (as was pretty much the case in the 1970s). According to UEFA, almost 70 percent of PL players are foreign. That's 350 out of 500. The 150 or so players left would fill the rosters of just the Top 6. That's 14 teams that would be playing with British players who are playing in the lower divisions. Of course it wouldn't in this day come to that extreme, but a significant reduction of foreign players would mean a big drop off in quality and, I would argue, style. A big drop off in quality and style would make it harder to attract the best foreign players. Players such as Salah, Hazard, Aubameyang, De Bruyne, Pogba and Eriksen would be playing for Barcelona or Real Madrid or somebody like that. It would be really difficult for West Ham to attract a player like Felipe Anderson or Everton a Richarlison.

There are a lot of English-speaking fans in the United States who support Barcelona or Real Madrid or Bayern because they have great players and play with style. I would also argue that the Premier League is most popular because it has the best TV package that reaches the most people. But if the quality of play dips, will that always be the case? If La Liga were on NBC instead of beIN, it might be just as popular. I think it's important for the Premier League to maintain the highest standard of quality in order to keep pace in all parts of the globe.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Long overdue. If they were smarter they could have got Big Sam in months ago but they persisted with the hipster and now they're pretty much doomed.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
It's Championship, but did you get to see how Bielsa has completely annihilated the journalists and pundits over the "Spygate scandal".

He showed them a tactical pre-match masterclass. Not too many armchair A-M can beat that kind of analysis :)

This article provides a nice summary and some funny reactions :)

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...-the-funniest-twitter-reactions-37720083.html

The twitter feed of this BBC journo (who was amazed at MB's brilliance) and the replies to it are absolute gold :lol: :lol: :lol:

:) :)

Latest posts+

Top Bottom