• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Premier League 2010/11

RC8

Established Member
I think it's time we get back to have a thread to put everything Premier League related not deserving of its own thread.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Re: English Premier League

Outstanding save by Gordon today from Zak Knights all-but-scored attempt at goal. The kind that wins you games and one that any 'keeper can be proud of.

Shame the weathers killed of most of the games this weekend, was looking forward to the Utd/Chelsea game.

Rorz

Established Member

West Ham bottom at Christmas then, are they doomed?

fabo

6.51 / 10

Goalkeeper

Joe Hart (Manchester City) - Name one slip-up Joe Hart has committed this season. Ok, apart from that one at home to Blackburn. Exactly. The unassuming 23-year-old is as solid as they come and belies his tender years with consistently mature performances. That he's already made himself Fabio Capello's No. 1 for England is an example of just how highly he is regarded.

Defence

Nedum Onuoha (Sunderland) - Do not adjust your set, I really do mean Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha, currently on loan at Sunderland. The likable right-back has been one of the reasons Steve Bruce's side have shot up the league to the heady heights of sixth, taking scalps from the likes of Chelsea (where Onuoha scored a goal of the season contender - think John Barnes v Brazil, only past Paulo Ferreira instead) and Manchester City along the way.

Vincent Kompany (Manchester City) - The second City player to make the team (well, third if you are being picky and want to include Onuoha) and one of the reasons Roberto Mancini's side have been thoroughly stingy at the back. The Belgian with the weird shaped head was a relative snip at £6 million from Hamburg two years ago compared to the riches lavished on his team-mates but has been one of their most reliable performers.

Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United) - A return to form for the bullish Serbian who has been a colossus at the back for United after a frustrating 2009-10 season. Sir Alex Ferguson's side have kept 10 of their 12 clean sheets this season in all competitions when the burly centre-back has been on the team sheet. Coincidence? I think not.

Leighton Baines (Everton) - The Merseyside-born left-back has long been one of the most consistent defenders in the Premier League and the Toffees' poor league position this season is an unfair reflection on the former Wigan man's performances. Rather unfortunate to have the world's best left-back in Ashley Cole ahead of him for national team selection but will have done future chances no harm this season, especially with the dazzling run and cross that set up Jermaine Beckford's equaliser at Stamford Bridge.

Midfield

Chris Brunt (West Brom) - Not a familiar choice for the right midfield slot but the former Sheffield Wednesday winger has been in sensational form out there as the Baggies creep quietly up the league. Currently sitting top of the bottom half, Roberto Di Matteo's side will be more than happy if they finish the season there and have Brunt to thank - not least for his inch perfect free-kick at Everton during a barnstorming 4-1 win.

Samir Nasri (Arsenal) - Not many players would be able to ease the pain of Cesc Fabregas' absence but the silky Frenchman has done just that with a flurry of goals and match-winning performances. Highlights include the sublime double against Fulham, which saw the playmaker make a mockery of the Cottagers defence twice.

Cheik Tiote (Newcastle United) - Haven't heard of the Ivorian midfielder? That's probably because he has been going about his job quietly and effectively, shielding the Magpies back four and supplying the likes of Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton to do the damage going forward. Former manager Chris Hughton regularly raved about 'The Lion King' who is surely the best player whose nickname comes from a Disney movie.

Gareth Bale (Tottenham) - Europe's best midfielder? With the way he has destroyed a myriad of defenders, including Maicon - formerly considered the best full-back in the world before succumbing to the powerful legs of the Welshman - it's not unfair to say Bale is a contender to that title. An impressive hat-trick at the San Siro goes down as a season high and countless assists mean the Sp**s man can look forward to a Player of the Year nomination if he keeps it up.

Attack

Andy Carroll (Newcastle United)- Love or loathe the alice-band wearing Newcastle forward, his impact this season has been undeniable. Scorer of 10 goals this term, although none in the 5-1 drubbing of neighbours Sunderland which no doubt would have left the bullish striker frustrated, he has set the tone for a fruitful campaign and brought an England cap to boot. Not bad at all.

Johan Elmander (Bolton) - A classic case of zero to hero. This season was the last chance for the Swedish striker to impress after a frustrating two years at the Reebok but he has taken that chance impressively. Combined with the 'new' free-flowing, stylish Bolton under Owen Coyle, Elmander has benefited and already scored eight goals, more than during his previous two-year stint. The highlight was a beautiful swivel and finish at Wolves.

PL team of the season so far......<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/12/20/2269386/goalcom-special-premier-league-team-of-the-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2 ... the-season</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hart shouldn't be in there IMO. I'd have Nani and Cech ahead of Hart and Brunt.

Herbas

Does Onuoha play even better than Sagna? I find it difficult to believe.

mo50

Established Member

It was that goal at Stamford Bridge that's clouding their judgement. He hasn't been better than Sagna, who deserves to be in there.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Sagna is clearly the top RB this season.

Van Der Vaart probably should be in there aswell, maybe the injuries played against him.

And although Elmander has improved a great deal, I fail to believe he's been better than the likes of Tevez and even Chamakh.

fabo

6.51 / 10

:lol:....missed that.

I'd say it's debatable whether Bale is even the best midfielder at Tottenham, never mind Europe.

ricky1985

Established Member

I'd take Modric by a long way, who I think is a really classy player. Even he's a long way from the best players in his position in the world though.

Danni

What I think has been impressive about Modric this season is that he has added more grit and determination to his general play, which is vital to succeed in such a physical league. When he came to England, he was seen as an attacking midfielder who would be beyond tracking back etc, but he has adapted to his central midfield role very well this season. I would certainly have him over Chris Brunt.

Sagna and Tevez should have been one of the first names on the list, to be honest. They have performed to a high level this season, and deserve to be there.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

It looks like there will be real football on today!

Everton for the upset or the foul sight of ManC on top?

Herbas

Did you know that one is equal to "countless assists"? Apparently someone lost track by counting to one.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

B-but, Bale is a Welsh wizard and his peg is a wand, they said so. Oh, well ...

draft_lens2333525module13026261photo_1236224281Ron__broken_wand.jpeg

MAK 14

Established Member

Mario Balotteli: 'I don't know who Jack Wilshere is.'

"I am delighted to receive this award,'' said Balotelli to Tuttosport. "Who should have won this award but me? Two years ago I finished sixth and a year ago fourth. It was finally my turn.

"I don't know who Wilshere is but the next time I play against Arsenal I will keep a close eye on him.

"Perhaps I can show him (Wilshere) the Golden Boy trophy and remind him that I won it!"

Taken for The Lobby. His arrogance, and ignorance, is really starting to get on my nerves.

outlaw_member

Established Member

Wilshere has only just come into our side this season. Plus, I doubt Balotelli follows football like us fans do.

MAK 14

Established Member

You'd still expect him to know who Wilshere is. That wasn't really my problem with his interview though, it was just his general arrogance. There was another part of the interview where he said he was better than Rooney, Fabregas and van der Vaart too, apparently.

entropy13

Established Member

If not for Football Manager 2009 I wouldn't have heard of Balotteli in the first place :lol:

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity

MAK 14 said:
Mario Balotteli: 'I don't know who Jack Wilshere is.'

"I am delighted to receive this award,'' said Balotelli to Tuttosport. "Who should have won this award but me? Two years ago I finished sixth and a year ago fourth. It was finally my turn.

"I don't know who Wilshere is but the next time I play against Arsenal I will keep a close eye on him.

"Perhaps I can show him (Wilshere) the Golden Boy trophy and remind him that I won it!"

Taken for The Lobby. His arrogance, and ignorance, is really starting to get on my nerves.
Wow, what a douchebag.

Top Bottom