• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Premier League 2014/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Season is less than a month away.

Alvaro Negredo has broken his foot and will miss several months of the season, while Steven Gerrard has just announced his retirement from international football.

Harry Redknapp and QPR are back, Van Gaal enters English football for the first time, Arsenal have had a good summer with decent signings, while we say goodbye to Suarez who joins Barcelona.

Brett

I am excited but, I think it is high time that epl clubs stop selling their best players every year to Real Madrid and Barca.....
I understand Spanish players wanting to go there.....but at least British players like Bale should have stayed here.........
Clubs should be more open to selling these players within England.....It happens all the time in Spain and Italy...

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Disagree 100%, **** the league. If Arsenal can't have the best players in England I don't want to see them there at all.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I'd like to see more English players go abroad. Not so much to help the national team, more that they're all ****heads.

Suave Gooner89

Established Member
Brett said:
I am excited but, I think it is high time that epl clubs stop selling their best players every year to Real Madrid and Barca.....
I understand Spanish players wanting to go there.....but at least British players like Bale should have stayed here.........
Clubs should be more open to selling these players within England.....It happens all the time in Spain and Italy...

I'm already paranoid that Ramsey will be the next to follow suit - I might lay a bet down to alleviate the pain if it indeed comes to fruition.

wishful_llama

Brett said:

If Bale had been playing for Utd, City or Chelsea I doubt he would of moved to Real Madrid last summer.

Anfield 1884

AM's Resident Liverpool Fan
"Coutinho is the brain in our team, the continuity player," said the boss later. "He might not score many goals, but he's a wonderful reference for the team.

"He is the one that gets the team ticking, gets the movement in front of the ball. He goes and gets on the ball. He's a fantastic talent for such a young player and he's still gaining his fitness.

"He makes the crowd get off their seat. For someone so small, he's very tough and robust. He's a wonderful technician that has a great idea, tactically, of the game."
Rodgers wanking off Coutinho quite a bit in recent weeks. Wonder if he'll focus more on a well balance team that plays good football, rather than overkill football which relies on the team attacking in numbers.

2014/15 will see what Brendan is made of, a successful league run and a respectable CL campaign will verify his greatness. You just know we'll be handing out a CL asswhooping.

Anfield 1884

AM's Resident Liverpool Fan
I'm hearing Herrera played well on his United Debut. F**k.

To be fair to Moyes, he was his choice. As was Shaw. Van Gaal being the sideman that he is just had to go along with it.

Suave Gooner89

Established Member
Anfield 1884 said:
2014/15 will see what Brendan is made of, a successful league run and a respectable CL campaign will verify his greatness. You just know we'll be handing out a CL asswhooping.

Not trying to have a go but it's a bit pathetic that you think Rodgers having a successful league campaign and "respectable" CL run would cement his "greatness"... Brian Clough was great, Alex Ferguson is a great, Arsène Wenger is great - how can you throw Rodgers in that bracket?

You have to win multiple titles/build great sides/have an indelible impact on the game to be a true great - Rodgers has done nothing.

Caz19

Anfield 1884 said:
I'm hearing Herrera played well on his United Debut. F**k.

To be fair to Moyes, he was his choice. As was Shaw. Van Gaal being the sideman that he is just had to go along with it.

Not that it really matters, but isn't that Woodward guy or whatever he's called in charge of transfers at Man U?

Crooner

Carroll out for another 4 months, what a pity. He became the butt of the odd joke when he came back from injury at Liverpool but on his day he was a Drogba esque figure. No doubt he can still be a good player, but Sam won't be happy with the amount of time he has spent on the injury table. He makes the football they play under him alot more effective too (which in a sense makes it a bit more exciting).

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Happy Carroll is out. I've lost my patience with him, he's Bendtner-like in terms of not taking his football seriously. Sam was apparently horrified by his fitness level when he returned to pre-season, having been on a 2-3 month binge around the world.

This means Valencia, Zarate or.. Cole is starting up top. Let's see if Sam is serious about making us more exciting to watch.

-------------------Valencia-------------

----Zarate --------Morrison-------Downing/Jarvis

---------------Noble---------Kouyaté

---Cresswell - Reid - Tomkins - Demel/New RB

Nothing amazing by any means but should be enough to keep us up and stay mid-table. The team is at least nicely balanced. Doubt Morrison will start though, sadly. We've got a pretty strong bench atm with Nolan, Cole, Vaz Te, Diamé, Poyet, O'Brien etc.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Interesting stat about Drogba on the news that he'll be going back to Chelsea, one that I've just seen on twitter.

Drogba has only managed to score more than 16 goals in 2 out of his 8 seasons he spent at Stamford Bridge.

Now Giroud has managed to get more than 16 (17 in his first and 22 last season) in both of his seasons with Arsenal thus far. Then you can also add the record he had for Montepellier.

Now I'm not for a second suggesting Giroud is better or even equal to Drobga, but I've always found Drogba to be quite overrated. The main thing that's been pointed out is his excellent cup final record..... right, he scored in several league cup and FA cup finals? Yet we're told the FA Cup isn't important anymore while Drogba is still being credited because of his excellent cup record. Yes I do acknowledge the final vs Bayern too, but besides all that he hasn't been a terribly consistent player for Chelsea. 04/05 he was poor, 05/06 he had an ok scoring record. 07/08 was really all over the place although the semi-final in the CL vs Chelsea really saved him that year. 08/09 had an astonishingly poor record. Then his last two seasons he really started to have virtually no impact apart from the header in the CL final.

Yes he has played well in some big games, but at the end of the day the only thing we can really give him credit for is the 2012 CL final because the other cups don't actually matter according to most Chelsea fans.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Drogba is insanely overrated as people put him up there with someone like Henry. He was a big-game player and when he was on form, albeit only for 2 seasons, he was so dominant that you almost felt he was unstoppable.

It just shows you that fans rate you higher when you win. Several players in the invincibles starting XI wouldn't get into the current/recent lineup, yet it's laughable to some to suggests otherwise.

If you want another example, see Eric Cantona. That guy is ranked MUCH higher than even Bergkamp and Henry by virtually all Man Utd fans.

Caz19

Dokaka said:
Drogba is insanely overrated as people put him up there with someone like Henry. He was a big-game player and when he was on form, albeit only for 2 seasons, he was so dominant that you almost felt he was unstoppable.

It just shows you that fans rate you higher when you win. Several players in the invincibles starting XI wouldn't get into the current/recent lineup, yet it's laughable to some to suggests otherwise.

If you want another example, see Eric Cantona. That guy is ranked MUCH higher than even Bergkamp and Henry by virtually all Man Utd fans.

How so? I reckon only Kolo wouldn't get into our starting lineup today since Kos is better. Sanchez "may" edge Ljungberg based on his stats in his final season in La Liga but we have no idea if he will replicate that form in England. Besides that the Invincibles are stronger than our current lineup in every position

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I don't think Lauren is guaranteed to start over Debuchy tbh, Gilberto might miss out because a Ramsey-Vieira partnership might work. I'd say either Alexis or Walcott (maybe Cazorla too) would easily displace Ljungberg also as they offer a lot more.

Then Özil would easily at least be back up to Bergkamp (who was 34 at this stage so Özil might get several games anyways). One of Koscielny/Mertesacker would start and the other would be immediate back-up.

I don't think what Dok is saying is too far-fetched. Sometimes nostalgia skews everything. I mean what if our current crop of players won the Champions League next season, they'd all individual be seen as a level up from where they are currently. If Alexis was to score 30 goals next season, then believe it or not, the Henry comparisons would already start to come out (although we know he wouldn't win the argument).

GDeep™

League is very weak
Other than Sagna, we haven't had a player in the Emirates era who would get into our invincibles team.

Debuchy isn't a patch on Lauren either for me.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Drogba is quite odd, he peaked late, he was already into his 30's before he showed the form that made him a Chelsea "legend."

I remember when a few on this site would compare him to Henry, laughable stuff that. Made me feel a bit sick also.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
GDeep said:
Other than Sagna, we haven't had a player in the Emirates era who would get into our invincibles team.

Debuchy isn't a patch on Lauren either for me.

I'm surprised you wouldn't put Walcott in there over Ljungberg.

Considering what Ljungberg offered to that team at Walcott's skillset I think that's a no-brainer.

I'd say Walcott, Koscielny, Ramsey and perhaps even Szczesny could make a case for a place in that team.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Dokaka said:
Happy Carroll is out. I've lost my patience with him, he's Bendtner-like in terms of not taking his football seriously. Sam was apparently horrified by his fitness level when he returned to pre-season, having been on a 2-3 month binge around the world.

This means Valencia, Zarate or.. Cole is starting up top. Let's see if Sam is serious about making us more exciting to watch.

-------------------Valencia-------------

----Zarate --------Morrison-------Downing/Jarvis

---------------Noble---------Kouyaté

---Cresswell - Reid - Tomkins - Demel/New RB

Nothing amazing by any means but should be enough to keep us up and stay mid-table. The team is at least nicely balanced. Doubt Morrison will start though, sadly. We've got a pretty strong bench atm with Nolan, Cole, Vaz Te, Diamé, Poyet, O'Brien etc.
Maybe you'll sign Bendtner on a one year deal as temporary cover for Carroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom