• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal v Liverpool- 24/08/15, 20:00. [SS1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

If that was the only problem in our setup, Theo would've already solved it. He did nothing after coming on though, not for the first time.

I agree, a more pacy striker up front surely wouldn't hurt us, but against deep and packed defenses, he's of no use either.

Özil was indeed good, he's not the problem. It's our tendency to needlessly narrow down the Premier League's largest pitch.

Theo did nothing when he came on because Liverpool were already parking the bus by that stage! It was a horrible substitution by Wenger to remove Giroud for Theo - he should have kept Giroud on and brought on Theo and hooked Cazorla instead.

Giroud - Walcott
Alexis - Özil - Oxlade
Ramsey-Coq

We could have smashed crosses and cut backs into the box at will, instead Walcott gets isolated vs Skertl and Lovren

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
That's what I was saying.....packed and deep defenses aren't the best environment for players like Theo.

Taking Giroud off for Theo regardless of the type of game, is becoming a bad habit of Wenger recently.

baccy_man

Established Member
Watching the game last night i felt that our players got too close together when we got to the Liverpool, 18 yard box a lot of the time they were so close together they didn't have room to pass the ball and create openings,
We need to spread our players out a bit and give ourselves a bit of space at times we had 5 or 6 players in an area of about 10 to 15 meters.

pikey2000

That's what I was saying.....packed and deep defenses aren't the best environment for players like Theo.

Taking Giroud off for Theo regardless of the type of game, is becoming a bad habit of Wenger recently.

Because he wants to give Theo time up top and also wants to be able to say he gave Theo time at CF when he moves him back to RW / gets another CF

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

That was a daft substitute. I was buzzing when I saw Theo coming on, then I saw Giroud's number and I was like huh? It's weird because when Giroud goes off is when the crosses tend to start coming in, I can't understand our tactics sometimes.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Exactly.
Taking Coque off for Theo, Ramsey into the centre behind Özil and Santi with Sanchez/Theo on the wings and Giroud up front....that's what I'd been hoping for when Theo got ready to come on.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
By the way, a thread with 90 pages is ridiculous for a PL game, can't remember any other matchday thread being this big, except for the Barca home CL one from 2011.

Proof

Established Member
When I saw that Mertesacker and Koscielny were out, my confidence of winning this game dramatically dropped. I don't care how good the other players are, if your first choice CBs are not available you are in a world of trouble.

The CBs are a crucial part of a team's spine. I was happy that Chambers and Gabriel didn't have to go up against Yaya Toure, Silva and Aguero because that would have been game over for us.
Petr Cech is just a bad ************ and he knows it. He was sensational and protected our naive backline. I think the bottom line is obvious: We need more goal threats out there.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
It's funny actually, in our last 6 home games where we've failed to score in 5 of them, the only people who've managed to score in that run are players not in our first team (Walcott and Wilshere).

The players in that team yesterday have been hopeless at scoring in the league for a while now. Why are we finding it so hard to score at home atm? P*sses me off.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
It's funny actually, in our last 6 home games where we've failed to score in 5 of them, the only people who've managed to score in that run are players not in our first team (Walcott and Wilshere).

The players in that team yesterday have been hopeless at scoring in the league for a while now. Why are we finding it so hard to score at home atm? P*sses me off.
Same. It's embarrassing. Teams are supposed to fear us at home.

Iceman10

Established Member
That was a daft substitute. I was buzzing when I saw Theo coming on, then I saw Giroud's number and I was like huh? It's weird because when Giroud goes off is when the crosses tend to start coming in, I can't understand our tactics sometimes.
I get the sense AW doesn't trust Theo out wide anymore, maybe something to do with defensive cover. Could be wrong. Maybe it's just been decided Theo will focus on CF now, on the training pitch and in matches, esp. with Ox developing well at RWF.

blaze_of_glory

Theos' been pushing to play CF for years. We have Ox in addition to Ramsey and Wilshere (and Alexis as well) who can all play RW so I think Wenger is now giving Theo his shot up front as we are thin there anyway. Wenger said at the end of last season that Theo will play through the middle now.

Theo did well last year when he was starting games up top, I think he'll do so again.

Iceman10

Established Member
... nevertheless, appears pretty clear to me that we would be better off with Ox starting (as RWF) and Ramsey as CM, regardless of who AW chooses as CF. Proof is right about the emergency CB issue affecting confidence and balance, but I still feel from what I saw at Palace also that playing Caz at CM, Ramsey at RWF, and Ox on the bench is not our best line up.

Jaywood Mac

Same old crap, all our players seem to go off the boil at the same time, when we are good away from home we are crap at home and vice versa. Always two or three signings away from a title challenging squad. When we end up 3rd or 4th or wherever Wenger has a lot to answer for. No excuses, moneys there, players particularly in midfield have been there but as usual he sees our team in rose tinted glasses that can only be improved by a select few players in world football. Also sick of the Coutinho bashing on this forum. He ran us all over the place first half like he did at Anfield last season. If he was an Arsenal player wed be saying he's up there with Hazard. Embarrassing.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I get the sense AW doesn't trust Theo out wide anymore, maybe something to do with defensive cover.
Take it with a pinch of salt but another 'itk' said last season that Wenger was pissed at Theo for Kane's winner at WHL; he didn't bother tracking Bentaleb, who was free to cross from the left wing.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Take it with a pinch of salt but another 'itk' said last season that Wenger was pissed at Theo for Kane's winner at WHL; he didn't bother tracking Bentaleb, who was free to cross from the left wing.

Did Theo even play in that game?? I honestly can't remember. I remember Welbeck/Giroud were in. Sanchez was out for injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom