• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal vs. Bournemouth - 28/12/15 - 5:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

adpree

I'm glad we got battered instead of just defeated. I expect the team will be pouncing on this to redeem themselves now.

These kinda drubbings are double edged swords if you ask me, Can go either way for confidence. Glad we have a game soon after a defeat.

kopzilla

Always Negative
We should score first early on...then put in a few more goals while we have the momentum...other wise we very much take the foot off the gas, relax and let the opposition back in the game with a scrappy goal.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Match day!

tumblr_m3sd1mhlZ91qdpmao.jpg

kopzilla

Always Negative
I feel the same way for every match..especially now with all the injuries and minimum rotation in the squad....very nervous about which Arsenal will turn up...the 'The 'little bit jaded side - ready with excuses before the match' or the 'we need to bounce back- pacy, urgent, hungry' side.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Worst thing about the Southampton loss is we've completely ruined a goal difference and are now lagging behind City and ****ing Tottenham.

Haha, worst thing about the Southampton loss is the loss!

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
5-0 to us.

**** it, living on the edge. That's how Arsenal **** with me :lol:

OK since the Soton thread is locked, I'll break the whole thing down here.

We lost to Southampton, or rather, we got dominated by Soton, simply because they nullified us tactically. Not because of mentality.

Once every few league games, there comes a manager, who knows to beat Arsenal you just have to set up your team in a very specific way to counter our team. In this case, Koeman was probably licking his lips: he knew that Arsenal under Wenger are extremely easy to beat if his team plays the right way.

Having this knowledge, Koeman set up his team as follows:

1.defensive set up to beat us:

A.50% pressing. the whole Soton team thus sat back behind the halfway line, and pressed aggressively whenever we entered their half.
As a result, our attack got absolutely pwned.

B. Man mark Özil. Teams who want to stop us from attacking man mark Özil, and as a result the attack just stops flowing.

C. Dominate physically. Wanyama and the other guy physically destroyed our players.

As a result, it's simple: any manager who implements tactics A, B and C when defending against us can easily neutralize our attack.

2. attacking set up to beat us: park the bus then counter with long balls.

A. Long ball to strikers over the midfield.

Koeman told his players to whack long balls to Long and the other striker to attack. As a result, our midfield was bypassed.

BY using this tactic: they soak up pressure then counter, exposing our defense.

hence, what would a team using this anti-wenger tactic need? lets break it down:

1. a disciplined team willing to sit back and press
2. physical midfielders that are big, strong and aggressive: Wanyama and clasie.
3. hardworkers strikers that, the moment their team win the ball, bust their ass upfield to run for a long ball: Long and Mane.

Last edited:
part 2:

Wenger's inability to deal with managers who tactically beat us: his tactical inflexibility

As evidenced by the 4-0, the 6-1 (Jose) and several others, we thus deduce that the moment a manager setups his team in the way I mentioned above :(lets call it the anti Wenger tactic), we have a very high chance of losing.

Managers like Koeman and Jose clearly have Wenger in their back pockets, tactically speaking.

Hence, Wenger's inability to change, to adapt to these tactics is exposed, and is one of his key weaknesses and why I still would like Wenger to resign after this season.

Last edited:
part 3:

solutions to nullify the anti wenger tactic:

it's actually very simple.

Arsenal have to play counterattack. Soak up their pressure and hit them on the counter. That means several things:

1.,Arsenal have to sit back in their own half and absorb rather than press upfield. It's silly that WEnger lets his players press so high up. To me, this tactic makes no sense.

2. Giroud cannot play striker. Walcott has to. This is fairly self-explanatory..

part 4:

a weak spine.

Having explained how managers nullify Wenger tactically, and provided the solution (just bloody play theo, bench giroud and play counterattack)
, another issue is the weak spine.

Flamini, Giroud, and Mertesacker are too weak to be our spine. This could be seen as a result of Wengers faith in players and refusal to bring in replacements.

For example: Giroud should never have been our starting striker for so damned long. Ironically, I started supporting Arsenal at the end of 11/12 and at the start of 12/13, hence... sadly I have known only an Arsenal defined by Giroud.

Flamini should never have been playing in the first place.. A proper DM would help alot. Having said this, El Ninny might help with replacing Flamini.

Mertesacker should be benched by Gabriel.

part 5: summary

Hence, if we put it all together,

Arsenal can be easily nullified if managers set up their team to sit deep, press hard and play counter with long balls.

Wenger's inability to beat this tactic, and showing us that he repeatedly gets rekt by it several times a season, is one of his main weaknesses.

I also disagree that we lose due to mentality. Honestly, to me, this weak mentality thing is not the true reason for why we lose like this. It's a tactical loss.

Maxim

part 3:

1.,Arsenal have to sit back in their own half and absorb rather than press upfield. It's silly that WEnger lets his players press so high up. To me, this tactic makes no sense.

2. Giroud cannot play striker. Walcott has to. This is fairly self-explanatory..

I agree with most of what you say but you can't just sit deep against a team a goal up and trying to counter themselves.

That would be a quite ridiculous sight to see.

Back to Bournemouth - we are fortunate that Josh king is out. Glenn Murray might be the worst striker in the league.

I agree with most of what you say but you can't just sit deep against a team a goal up and trying to counter themselves.

That would be a quite ridiculous sight to see.

Back to Bournemouth - we are fortunate that Josh king is out. Glenn Murray might be the worst striker in the league.

No, I disagree, we are lethal on the counterattack. IT's our best style of attacking. and I hate that Wenger doesn't use it more. If Giroud isnt' starting, Theo is up top, we can slice teams to bits on the counter.

also sorry for the abrupt first post: I was bloody pissed off at 4-0 and I suspect I see exactly why it happens, hence me posting here.

Maxim

No, I disagree, we are lethal on the counterattack. IT's our best style of attacking. and I hate that Wenger doesn't use it more. If Giroud isnt' starting, Theo is up top, we can slice teams to bits on the counter.

You misunderstand. No matter how much you want to counter, you need the opposition to come out and leave space behind.

Once Martina whips that beauty in Southampton will not come out.

You misunderstand. No matter how much you want to counter, you need the opposition to come out and leave space behind.

Once Martina whips that beauty in Southampton will not come out.

well yes that's true. But one thing that can be done is not press over the halfway line. That would force them to come out slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom