• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal vs. Leicester - Sunday 14.02.2016 - 12:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblue

Looking forward to Lineker's pants
It was a shocker from the ref, and both teams can feel like he let them down, as he did really.

Özil should have got a FK before the Vardy pen/dive. No doubt in that, just because he doesn't jump for the ball doesn't mean you can go through him, especially when he is so far from the ball.

The ref gave hardly anything in the first half for us, he let play go unnecessarily and wound the crowd right up.

Second half he seemed to want to make up for his poor first half performance by being overly card happy, coupled with the hostile crowd and overreaction from our players for every foul. All caused by his abject first half by the way!

This resulted in a dodgy-ish red, and a a possible second penalty (not for me, there was contact but he went down ridiculously). And missing a second yellow on Le Coq. But at the same time they should have had another red for that over the ball challenge on Ramsey and I seem to recall another possible second yellow?

The ref caused the hostile atmosphere, and then he let it get to him. That's the long and short of it.

A fair post Bashii, good to see some perspective.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
You've played 6 games more in the space of 6 months, you make it sound like you're playing twice a week every week. If you had conditioning coaches who knew what the hell they were doing you might not get so many constant injuries. And don't tell me there's nothing in that I see it mentioned on here all the time.

Not to mention the squad you've spent vast sums on a squad that should easily cope... but no, it's because you've played 6 games more.
I realize that you won't know, but CL games are highly intense affairs. Think of Leicester playing 6 games against Arsenal level opposition after travelling to different countries. And we, by virtue of our own stupidity, had to treat all of six of them with respect. These matches affect both the weekends around them so the impact would be felt over 10 PL matches, I think. Which coupled with the hectic PL schedule around Christmas and our injury prone squad makes it a different ball game for us. I'm prepared to wager that there won't be a PL-CL double in the near future. Conversely the growing competition in the PL makes us do poorly in the CL - its a vicious circle.
I guess you're more or less assured of CL football, so you'll get to see it firsthand next year. Lets see you remain in even the top half of the table after competing in the CL.

babyblue

I realize that you won't know, but CL games are highly intense affairs. Think of Leicester playing 6 games against Arsenal level opposition after travelling to different countries. And we, by virtue of our own stupidity, had to treat all of six of them with respect. These matches affect both the weekends around them so the impact would be felt over 10 PL matches, I think. Which coupled with the hectic PL schedule around Christmas and our injury prone squad makes it a different ball game for us. I'm prepared to wager that there won't be a PL-CL double in the near future. Conversely the growing competition in the PL makes us do poorly in the CL - its a vicious circle.
I guess you're more or less assured of CL football, so you'll get to see it firsthand next year. Lets see you remain in even the top half of the table after competing in the CL.
Of course I'm well aware of the impact, I'm taking issue with them saying your woes are basically because of that. We have a paper thin squad, you don't... it's been assembled for vast sums relative to ours. Using that as an excuse our relative positions at this moment in time, for me, doesn't wash.

I've only seen this stuff appear from a few Arsenal and City fans since we started doing well. Before that the focus was on things like Wenger not signing another striker, not being able to ever keep players fit.

Seriously, how do you get so many injuries? Does he make you train on concrete or something. It's a ludicrous amount of muscle injuries that you seem to pick up. Since Pearson came to us and installed a brand new sports science department, we've pretty much only had impact injuries. I've seen many people say it's "luck", but we've been like this all the time, year after year under Pearson.

The players get quite a lot of time off as well. Not sure how much you train, but I believe we have to full days off each week. A couple of light sessions and a couple of high intensity ones.

The owners spent a small fortune on redoing the training pitches a while back as well to replicate exactly the pitch at the walkers. The deso mix with under soiling heating etc, so they always play on the same surfaces. I presume you have all the same stuff.

haha_arsenal

to @babyblue
most of Arsenal players have international games to play, and they are decisive games. including the CL, that's more than 10 games a season.
off the pitch, all the star players have 'work' to do, media work, doing sponsor things, or stuffs organized by the club. Our fans are worldwide, the works are surely multiple. it may not be football related but it sure takes time from the players.
Sometime you just have to look off the pitch too.

babyblue

to @babyblue
most of Arsenal players have international games to play, and they are decisive games. including the CL, that's more than 10 games a season.
off the pitch, all the star players have 'work' to do, media work, doing sponsor things, or stuffs organized by the club. Our fans are worldwide, the works are surely multiple. it may not be football related but it sure takes time from the players.
Sometime you just have to look off the pitch too.
Fuchs, Kasper, Morgan, Mahrez, King, Inler, Okazaki, Vardy (now), Schlupp all regular internationals... several captains of their teams.

Morgan played 9 games over the summer in the copa america and the gold cup. Didn't have more than a couple of weeks rest and has come into the premier this season and been on top form looking fresh after a hard end to last season.

There has to be something on a more basic level. Do the players you've signed have a history of injuries, or is it just something that seems to happen once they arrive?

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Of course there are issues with our training, the amount of muscle injuries we pick up is ludicrous for a top side. Apart from that, we seem to be equally useless at managing return-dates, because the number of "setbacks" our players had down the years, is downright hilarious.

However, compared to Leicester, we haven't just played six more games (all outside England by the way), as most of our players are playing for their countries as well. Just look at Alexis, who travels around the globe all the bloody time, while playing each and every game for Chile, however insignificant it is.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
at the end of the day, we won. that's all that matters for me, as this is just another game in the league. I'll save the gloating after we lift the trophy, too soon to puff our chest

*looking down on you peasants from my high horse @Rimaal *

haha_arsenal

just watched the highlight (for the 6th time)
Leicester had penalty handball incidents at least 3 times, not a single one was given.
Sp**s had ONE ball to elbow, it was a penalty.

babyblue

Of course there are issues with our training, the amount of muscle injuries we pick up is ludicrous for a top side. Apart from that, we seem to be equally useless at managing return-dates, because the number of "setbacks" our players had down the years, is downright hilarious.

However, compared to Leicester, we haven't just played six more games (all outside England by the way), as most of our players are playing for their countries as well. Just look at Alexis, who travels around the globe all the bloody time, while playing each and every game for Chile, however insignificant it is.

We have plenty of internationals as well, as do all premier league teams. Morgan played in more games over the summer than Alexis. I know you play a lot, but other than say Man City this season you seem to have more than your fair share. It's gone on for so long with you guys there has to be a training issue somewhere.

adpree

I still don't think we have mastered the art of performing with our backs against the wall. We need to be calm under pressure, not give away needless fouls and most importantly not rush our chances. There has to be some urgency but measured. We would have comfortably won this game if the players had showed a little more composure in the final third. The crosses and balls into the box, this game, are some of the best I have seen from us in recent times.

babyblue

just watched the highlight (for the 6th time)
Leicester had penalty handball incidents at least 3 times, not a single one was given.
Probably because none of them were actually handball? You can't just blast the ball at someone and expect a handball. The others were 100% not pennos, Kante was the biggest shout but that again was from a couple of feet away, blasted into the chest / upper arm. It's not like he shoved out a hand.

haha_arsenal

I was comparing to Sp**s' one incident to our game's 3-4 incidents.

Morgan one was not a shout, I agree
but what about the Giroud acrobatic shot that hit Huth's wide spread arm ?

Jaywood Mac

Praising Vardy for going down yet slamming Alexis for asking the ref to book Simpson for his hundredth foul on him.......if they can't see the double standards there then I give up......

Then Murphy had to cheek to say Ramseys reaction was poor after Drinkwater tried to end his career, also then said Drinkwater was just trying to protect himself.......
I was fuming watching it. The hypocricy is unreal and the strange thing is I completely expected it when I turned on MOTD. Loving all this arsenal hate though. Coq, Ramsey, Monreal v Mahrez, Drinkwater, Vardy its like the er....old days with utd.....

General

Established Member
Agree with @babyblue about our conditioning. It just seems a bit off and we still struggle to match the power sides. Players like Özil and to a lesser extent Ramsey still look far too weak under pressure and it results in us turning over possession too easily. The bigger the time between our matches, the more tired we look. We are getting close to a fully fit squad and it may well be the thing that saves our season. Pace and power wins you this league and I've always felt we've lacked the latter for some time. I think it was Kanu who complained several years ago that we do too much high intensive running in training and Wenger wants people running around all the time lmao.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
It's not like he shoved out a hand.

Well, he did (just go to arsenalist.com and look it up, posting the link doesn't work sadly).

That was more a penalty, than the one you got for that Vardy "foul". He ran into Monreal and made it look like he was tackled. Clever, but if you complain about Simpson's sending off, you can't say that penalty wasn't equally soft.

And don't get me started on that atrocious Mahrez dive, or Drinkwater's "tackle" on Ramsey. Any lumberjack out there tackles wood with less malice.

blaze_of_glory

How is it running my mouth, you're talking about a totally different game. I'm talking about this one... if you want to talk about the previous one we can. Well done, you were very good.... but lucky you weren't two down before you started a come back.
Not referring to you in particular actually. There's been a rash of fans from teams we're about to play coming here and making predictions of winning and then we go out and beat them.

Lovely trend tbh.

US_Gooner

Established Member
We have plenty of internationals as well, as do all premier league teams. Morgan played in more games over the summer than Alexis. I know you play a lot, but other than say Man City this season you seem to have more than your fair share. It's gone on for so long with you guys there has to be a training issue somewhere.
Ok. We get that you don't understand how your season will basically come to an end if Kante gets injured, and you can't understand how that might happen playing 11 more games in the 3 mos of Sept, Oct, Nov. at the same intensity as yesterday's match. Doesn't have to be an overuse injury; he could receive a Drinkwater tackle.

Plutarch

Don't know about everyone else but I'm still extremely cheerful after that victory. Could hardly have turned out better, really, in terms of giving us confidence for our next games.

Marmaduke

Don't know about everyone else but I'm still extremely cheerful after that victory. Could hardly have turned out better, really, in terms of giving us confidence for our next games.
It was a very good performance that showed some passion from our players. It takes more than skill and high price tags (as Leicester have been showing us all season) to win the league. We beat the most tenacious team of this season twice. Plenty to be happy about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom