• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Chelsea v Arsenal - 19/09/15 - 12:45pm - BT Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

Forget about Gabriel for moment and think about balls.
If idiots like costa show up you just have to kick the **** out of him. The whole team should have tackled him, fouled him, but real fouls, pain and maybe he would have had a broken leg.
Why our squad is so feminin?
Feminine? Have you ever watched women play football? Its a bloodbath.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

People have short memories - we used to get red carded regularly when we "gave some back" in the days of Vieira et al.

Posters here would have called them naieve as well. The fact is, if refs were competent, they would card/send off the perpetrators.

How was Gary Neville allowed to stay on the pitch in that fateful game, how was Ruud allowed to stay on the pitch, why did A Cole get a yellow for his first foul? It's stuff like that, our players look at the injustice, their tempers rise and lose their emotions only for a fraction - when you have a ref hellbent on sending off players, this is what happens.

I'll say it again - the root cause is incompetent/biased/corrupt officiating and not our players.

Revolution

People have short memories - we used to get red carded regularly when we "gave some back" in the days of Vieira et al.

Posters here would have called them naieve as well. The fact is, if refs were competent, they would card/send off the perpetrators.

How was Gary Neville allowed to stay on the pitch in that fateful game, how was Ruud allowed to stay on the pitch, why did A Cole get a yellow for his first foul? It's stuff like that, our players look at the injustice, their tempers rise and lose their emotions only for a fraction - when you have a ref hellbent on sending off players, this is what happens.

I'll say it again - the root cause is incompetent/biased/corrupt officiating and not our players.
What Neville did to Reyes gets overplayed. Ferdinand's challenge on Ljungberg was grim and he should've been off. Riley let the occasion get the better of him and Rio got MOTM. No one seems to talk about that; everyone just remembers the rough treatment Reyes got.

Inconsistent refereeing is a problem. Weak, incompetent, yes. But calling it corrupt officiating is small time. The players are no angels. They aren't malicious, but their naivety often or not shows. Getting provoked into taking stupid action. Which Wenger acknowledged when defending the red-card record.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

What Neville did to Reyes gets overplayed. Ferdinand's challenge on Ljungberg was grim and he should've been off. Riley let the occasion get the better of him and Rio got MOTM. No one seems to talk about that; everyone just remembers the rough treatment Reyes got.

Inconsistent refereeing is a problem. Weak, incompetent, yes. But calling it corrupt officiating is small time. The players are no angels. They aren't malicious, but their naivety often or not shows. Getting provoked into taking stupid action. Which Wenger acknowledged when defending the red-card record.

How is it over played? He had at least 2-3 yellow card worthy challenges on Reyes before he even received his first yellow - it's criminal that he was on the pitch. Ferdinand should have been off as well - blatant red. RVN also somehow managed to stay on the pitch after raking Cole's knee with his studs - right in front of the linesman mind you.

Anyway, my point is that, as a player (and I speak from playing low level sports) - when you feel like the ref/umpire isn't fairly adjudicating the game, you get more and more frustrated - yes you are told to just get on with the match but there comes a point when the inconsistency is so ludicrous that all reasoning/calmness goes out the window - these guys aren't robots.

ScotVieira

Established Member
What Neville did to Reyes gets overplayed. Ferdinand's challenge on Ljungberg was grim and he should've been off.
Call it small time or whatever suits. I call it corruption because similar things have been getting repeated over and over again. Maybe not so much now as then but the seeds remain in the old brigade such as Dean.

Revolution

How is it over played? He had at least 2-3 yellow card worthy challenges on Reyes before he even received his first yellow - it's criminal that he was on the pitch.

Yes, but what about Phil? He was also guilty.

Ferdinand should have been off as well - blatant red.
Of course, which was my original point. You didn't seem to mention that earlier though. Hence my comment. If Rio was sent off ASAP, United's tactics would have shifted completely. They may or may not have targeted Reyes more. Henry certainly would find a way in the game, as he was a no-show that day.

RVN also somehow managed to stay on the pitch after raking Cole's knee with his studs - right in front of the linesman mind you.
Yes, and he should've been sent off.

But Cole's challenge on Ronaldo in the box could have easily seen him off, and United awarded another penalty. But he was given the benefit of the doubt.

And that was more of a penalty than Rooney's dive.

Anyway, my point is that, as a player (and I speak from playing low level sports) - when you feel like the ref/umpire isn't fairly adjudicating the game, you get more and more frustrated - yes you are told to just get on with the match but there comes a point when the inconsistency is so ludicrous that all reasoning/calmness goes out the window - these guys aren't robots.
No one can keep their emotions intact.

But football would be a far duller sport if everything was perfect and there were no pantomime villians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom