• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL Promotion & Relegation

Rumour

I do enjoy the annual relegation fights. Wasn't too keen on Hull staying up but the Marco Silva hiring now seems inspired - whether or not he keeps the team up, he's certainly enhanced his reputation and will be in high demand when the season ends. Speaking of reputations...

Not a Sam Allardyce fan at all but he's good at what he does, namely saving relegation-bound teams from the drop. Would dearly love to see him lose the 'never relegated from the top flight' tag some day but, alas, that day doesn't seem to fall in this current season - just as it didn't last year when the wrong (IMO) north east team went down.

As for Swansea: what the hell happened?! Seems like yesterday they were being hailed in most quarters as a model team, both on and off the pitch, for other 'small' clubs coming up the divisions to aspire to. Now the Swans are not particularly interesting to watch play, plus the ownership has made a couple of questionable managerial changes (firing Monk, hiring Bradley) that have called the chairman's previously perceived brilliance into doubt.

To sum up, in seasons like this one where the title is basically won with a few rounds of matches to go, I find the struggle at the bottom of the table for Premier League survival quite fascinating. Arguably there's more at stake for those teams as their very existence could be in jeopardy should they go down and not make it back up in a year or two - one only need look at ex-PL teams like Blackburn, Coventry and Portsmouth for some cautionary tales.

Deathstroke

The Terminator
As for Swansea: what the hell happened?! Seems like yesterday they were being hailed in most quarters as a model team, both on and off the pitch, for other 'small' clubs coming up the divisions to aspire to. Now the Swans are not particularly interesting to watch play, plus the ownership has made a couple of questionable managerial changes (firing Monk, hiring Bradley) that have called the chairman's previously perceived brilliance into doubt.

The chairman and the shareholders sold out to a pair of American 'sports franchise' operators without consulting the supporters' trust, who I believe had a stake. Cue faultlines being triggered...

Bradley was hired by the American owners, ahead of Giggs, whose interview apparently appalled them incredibly. :lol:

mm76

Yer Da
Bradley was hired by the American owners, ahead of Giggs, whose interview apparently appalled them incredibly. :lol:

did he tap a rolled-up paper ball into a waste paper basket and go running around the room with his shirt off by any chance?

Deathstroke

The Terminator
"The story goes that Giggs was very highly considered by those in charge at Swansea but that he had been ‘awful’ in the interview for the job.

When asked to come up with plans on how to improve the teams fortunes it seems that Giggs could only come up with a confusing list of cliches and promised to make the team ‘work harder’ without going into detail on how that would be achieved.

Contrast that with the interview of former USA boss Bob Bradley, who was given the job, and had already prepared information on the strengths and weaknesses of the Swansea team, how he would alter set plays and which sort of players the club needed to bring in."

http://www.theunitedpages.com/giggs-swansea-interview-was-awful/

Rumour

The chairman and the shareholders sold out to a pair of American 'sports franchise' operators without consulting the supporters' trust, who I believe had a stake. Cue faultlines being triggered...
I knew that a major (controlling?) stake had been sold to Americans but not that the suporters' trust had no say in the decision :(

I can see why based on what you posted later :lol: But was there no other candidate in the frame aside from these two? Regardless of how poorly Giggs came across in person or what sound ideas Bradley had on paper, surely league experience had to count for more. Guidolin had already kept them up last season and was actually not doing so badly, some tough early fixtures rather than poor performances appeared to be the main reason for his departure.

Seems to me like the new investors were more keen on getting what they saw as a big name manager (in Wales or the US) rather than the right person for the job. Not the worst managerial change of the season - that 'prize' undoubtedly goes to Birmingham City - but a poor decision all the same. Clement seems decent enough but his appointment may be too little to late for Swansea.

Deathstroke

The Terminator
I knew that a major (controlling?) stake had been sold to Americans but not that the suporters' trust had no say in the decision :(

I read that though there is a supporters' trust representative on the board, the guy was not included in the decision-making at all. Thereafter, the new owners burnt their bridges by failing to engage with the supporters and remaining incognito, leading to protests and statements condemning Huw Jenkins & the board for selling out in favour of making huge personal profits, before finally going face-to-face at a Q & A (shareholders' meeting?) where they admitted they got the Bradley appointment wrong ('but we also got it right by sacking him quickly').

I can see why based on what you posted later :lol: But was there no other candidate in the frame aside from these two? Regardless of how poorly Giggs came across in person or what sound ideas Bradley had on paper, surely league experience had to count for more. Guidolin had already kept them up last season and was actually not doing so badly, some tough early fixtures rather than poor performances appeared to be the main reason for his departure.

Seems to me like the new investors were more keen on getting what they saw as a big name manager (in Wales or the US) rather than the right person for the job. Not the worst managerial change of the season - that 'prize' undoubtedly goes to Birmingham City - but a poor decision all the same. Clement seems decent enough but his appointment may be too little to late for Swansea.

I can't quite recall, but I think Clement was also interviewed at the time. Certainly the media were championing their favourite Manchesthair Utd ex-assistant, while the owners clearly had other ideas.

There were rumours that Kaplan & Levein intended to build up Swansea City as a brand in the US. Perhaps that may also have been a factor in the Bradley appointment. The man certainly had a reputation as an experienced old head (though not in the PL/at European heavyweights) and could have talked a good game, different from the usual "pashun", "running" or "up an' at 'em!".

As you said, Clement seems decent rep-wise at least; from his time at Derby, he was known to be more on the cautious side (another ridiculous sacking). I agree that it may be too little too late; a revitalised Hull have been resurgent under Marco Silva, while Swansea, still 2 points behind them, seem too dependent on Sigurdsson & Llorente to deliver the goods, and lack the requisite quality and depth to overtake the Tigers and save themselves.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I'm pretty happy with Sunderland's relegation. Annoying bunch of cvnts who've done fvck all over their entire history to have any sort of relevance at all. Surprised they survived for so long.

Deathstroke

The Terminator
if he actually tried to run a shop it would be out of business within a couple of months

totally and utterly useless - i'd hate to be a fan of whichever club takes this fool on next

He's a charlatan and a negative Nancy who loves to blow his own trumpet.

I saw him mentioned as a candidate for the Scotland national side. :confused:

mm76

Yer Da
He's a charlatan and a negative Nancy who loves to blow his own trumpet.

I saw him mentioned as a candidate for the Scotland national side. :confused:

why do these people even want to work at their age when they're multimillionaires?

there's something really wrong with these people - Moyes could just retire in luxury - better for him and for football fans everywhere that he does...

Deathstroke

The Terminator
why do these people even want to work at their age when they're multimillionaires?

there's something really wrong with these people - Moyes could just retire in luxury - better for him and for football fans everywhere that he does...

Possession 1.jpg

mm76

Yer Da
Don't like to say it but Hull are almost certainly down. Can't believe they let Sunderland beat them at home yesterday

their next two matches are Palace and Tonttensh*te whereas Swansea have Sunderland and W Brom and are in the driving

ok so Palace have struggled, Tottensh*te lost at W Ham and Sunderland have won a game but still i think the odds are on Swansea staying up now

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Don't like to say it but Hull are almost certainly down. Can't believe they let Sunderland beat them at home yesterday

their next two matches are Palace and Tonttensh*te whereas Swansea have Sunderland and W Brom and are in the driving

ok so Palace have struggled, Tottensh*te lost at W Ham and Sunderland have won a game but still i think the odds are on Swansea staying up now
Yeah Swansea likely to stay up now. but wouldn't be surprised if Marcos Silva manage a PL team next season most midtable and bottom half clubs will want him.

mm76

Yer Da
Yeah Swansea likely to stay up now. but wouldn't be surprised if Marcos Silva manage a PL team next season most midtable and bottom half clubs will want him.

yeah unless he feels loyal to Hull like Benitez did to Newcastle

i bet the Hull fans will want him to stay

Top Bottom