• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ethan Nwaneri: Se Queda

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nketiah-Balogun-Saka
Patino-Skelly-Nwaneri
Sousa-Walters-Saliba(c)-Norton-Cuffy
Ramsdale

It will probably never happen but this might be the best period for Hale End in decades.
That's a Wenger team :lol:. Arsène would love this lot.

A hell of a lot would need to happen for this team to even be conceptualised as a thing tbh. I expect most of the names mentioned to still be Arsenal players up to 4-5 years from now but we'll have to sell a couple IMO. I can see us keeping both Walters and Norton-Cuffy but both are RBs by trade - unless Walters transitions fully to CB, he'll be out, or maybe he edges out Norton-Cuffy! We got a couple Hale End CBs who are in with a shout aswell if developed right. That's a longshot too.

I also have a hunch that Balogun's outta here in the next couple years. Yeah, he can play wide as can Nketiah, but I just feel like Nketiah's more of an Arteta player than Balogun is. Balogun has natural ability in spades, more than most we've produced I'd say, but I don't think he defends from the front anywhere near as well as Nketiah and that's the one thing I hope he gains from being on loan. Otherwise, that's a nice lil £30-40m we could make if he continues to bang in France, or maybe a short term deal with a buyback.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I used to listen to talksport like 10 years ago, and funny it's the same two guys who are still there doing their show, but even back then I knew they were deliberately trying to get a rise out of people.

Keplaz

Both top talents for their age. What's also encouraging is that, like Jack's group, Nelson's group and Buykayo's group, beyond the obvious 1 or 2 stand out talents, there are 3 or 4 others who legitimately look like they could get to EPL level if they develop right. No harm in getting a Willock or Iwobi or Coquelin every so often to make up numbers and then generate good fees.
I remember Wenger talking about two 14 year olds who had everything. They both didn’t make it with us. One was Benik Afobe and the other was Chuks Aneke. I also remember first time I saw Jay Emmanuel Thomas play at youth level, he was bullying people like Messi. And he didn’t make it too. I’ve learnt to be cautious about young talent, but that said, I think the ones coming through are different gravy.

Arteta is less of a romantic than Arsène, and if you’re getting a debut at 15; politics aside, you’re a player. Hutchinson never played first team ball for us. And FA Cup winner Matt Smith has been warming the bench for some time.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I used to listen to talksport like 10 years ago, and funny it's the same two guys who are still there doing their show, but even back then I knew they were deliberately trying to get a rise out of people.
Was good with Ian Wright even if it was with Durham. Even Durham was good then. Just seems over the years it has become more troll like and baiting etc.

Has a few I like but it is not the main daytime ones

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I remember Wenger talking about two 14 year olds who had everything. They both didn’t make it with us. One was Benik Afobe and the other was Chuks Aneke. I also remember first time I saw Jay Emmanuel Thomas play at youth level, he was bullying people like Messi. And he didn’t make it too. I’ve learnt to be cautious about young talent, but that said, I think the ones coming through are different gravy.

Arteta is less of a romantic than Arsène, and if you’re getting a debut at 15; politics aside, you’re a player. Hutchinson never played first team ball for us. And FA Cup winner Matt Smith has been warming the bench for some time.
You know, for a long time I've been curious about how good Matt Smith would play in an Arsenal shirt. He has clear technical quality and can arguably pick out a pass as well as our best playmakers, plus he's quite happy to contest a ton of duels despite his obvious lack of pure strength and quickness. If we got a squad player out of a guy like Matt Smith, that'd be a nice return.

Melquiades

You know, for a long time I've been curious about how good Matt Smith would play in an Arsenal shirt. He has clear technical quality and can arguably pick out a pass as well as our best playmakers, plus he's quite happy to contest a ton of duels despite his obvious lack of pure strength and quickness. If we got a squad player out of a guy like Matt Smith, that'd be a nice return.

With the 5-sub rule and our MF injuries I've been a bit disappointed he hasn't got a run-out at any point so far this year. At worst it ups his transfer value if he has the perception of being a squad player on a top PL team.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

My conclusion after the summer was that Smith is an option for the cups against easier opponents or when UEL group is handled well. I hope he is. Just like you say, he could fetch us some money later on, so it's good if they trust these youngsters. Also in the sense that other youth players know there is a path.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Jack Wilshere at 15/16 scored 13 goals in 18 appearances for the U18s.
I've not seen anything of Ethan at the moment (in terms of on-field output) to say he's Wilshere level talent.

Please I am not in any way saying he won't turn out to be better than Jack or Cesc (no-one knows this), all I am saying is that whilst he is currently a really good outstanding player, putting on him same pedestal as Jack at that age is a tad too much.

Let's allow our young players develop without the 'noise'. In Wenger days, he probably will be a season or two away from playing Carling Cup games
Ethan has 4 goals and 4 assists in 9 u18 games (some of which as a 14 year old, and not all as starts), 1 assist in 59 mins of 1 u21 game - while younger than jack - and in a less dominant team. He doesn't have jack's track record at that age yet, but he's not far off and is younger.

I agree we don't want too much noise, so hope we don't see him again for a while above u21 level, but the kid is the closest i've seen to Jack's level since Jack (and there are some stylistic similarities). Of course he may never make the grade at this level, but he's a real player.

That said, his head teacher needs to STFU

lomekian

Essays are my thing

Afobe was dominant more down to physical gifts than technical, and Chuks never played with top level pace. I never thought they'd get to be more than squad players at best. JET was twice the size of everyone else and had lovely technique, but his energy levels and consistency of engagement were always a big weakness. He was more more of a boom/bust guy - if he could have found a better motor and sorted out his mentality he could have been a star, but neither improved past the age of 17.

On the whole the kids over the last few years have been consistently better than any crops I've seen since the 80s. Tactically, technically and energy wise. I've been disappointed that AMN hasn't really improved over the last 5 years given that we was decent in the Championship at 17, and Reiss Nelson's inability to impose himself has been disappointing when you look at his technical ability and capacity for interplay, but the depth (breadth if you prefer) of our scholarship groups has really improved. There are less year on year that you know pretty quickly will never make it at the club or even EPL level because they have nothing that catches the eye.

Agree that Arteta is less likely to indulge those without the quality to make it. Hutchinson had super talent, but didn't have a pro-ready style and needed a loan to try to adapt. Ironic that had he stayed we had a loan to Reading lined up, but instead he's in a slightly weaker u21 team, generating slightly less output, with considerably more players between him and the first team in his position. Idiot. I'll be amazed if smith ever becomes an EPL regular, but his style has always looked more able to 'do a job' at senior level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Ethan has 4 goals and 4 assists in 9 u18 games (some of which as a 14 year old, and not all as starts), 1 assist in 59 mins of 1 u21 game - while younger than jack - and in a less dominant team. He doesn't have jack's track record at that age yet, but he's not far off and is younger.

I agree we don't want too much noise, so hope we don't see him again for a while above u21 level, but the kid is the closest i've seen to Jack's level since Jack (and there are some stylistic similarities). Of course he may never make the grade at this level, but he's a real player.

That said, his head teacher needs to STFU
This is it for me. Nwaneri has his token appearance, and - while he's good for it - I'd rather see an extended u21 role and a Youth Cup run for him this year. If the opportunity arises for another appearance that's great but I'd rather it come off the back of an u21 run first. The hype won't die down but at the very least we can direct it away from first team matters.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
This is it for me. Nwaneri has his token appearance, and - while he's good for it - I'd rather see an extended u21 role and a Youth Cup run for him this year. If the opportunity arises for another appearance that's great but I'd rather it come off the back of an u21 run first. The hype won't die down but at the very least we can direct it away from first team matters.
I suspect one consequence of our more aggressive use of the loan system is that we are going to see more u18 players make 1st team benches in certain positions. Quite a few of our u21s are clearly not first team material or have had fitness issues they are recovering from, so there are positions we have shortages in for that age group (particularly with several of those nearer the 1st team on loan). That said, Nwaneri only made the bench due to multiple injuries.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I'll believe the hype if this brings Raiola back from the dead again.
There are rumours he is not dead and he is still operating from behind the scenes
I suspect one consequence of our more aggressive use of the loan system is that we are going to see more u18 players make 1st team benches in certain positions. Quite a few of our u21s are clearly not first team material or have had fitness issues they are recovering from, so there are positions we have shortages in for that age group (particularly with several of those nearer the 1st team on loan). That said, Nwaneri only made the bench due to multiple injuries.
no he made the bench for political reasons. Guys like cirjan made the bench before and could have. So could Amiro Duberry. Omari made the bench 8 times without getting a minute and other youngster never got minute. This boy gets minutes on his first attempt ahead of Matt Smith who was on the bench. It’s all about convincing him to sign new deal. But now he will want more bench appearances

Top Bottom