• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ethan Nwaneri: Se Queda

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Very, very few of our youth players ever get the chance at senior level. I can understand if he want to leave. Players like Saka, ESR and Nketiah was already established at senior level when the current management arrived.
tbf they gave this kid a debut while he was still at school, and is the youngest EPL Player ever, so not the best example. And ESR & Nketiah were only established in terms of having played a handful of games, but under the likes of Conte would never have seen the light of day again...

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
tbf they gave this kid a debut while he was still at school, and is the youngest EPL Player ever, so not the best example. And ESR & Nketiah were only established in terms of having played a handful of games, but under the likes of Conte would never have seen the light of day again...
Not really a debut worthy of the name, though. Wouldn't say it's a serious indication of us giving him a chance.

Bucephalus

At the age he is, what other indication is realistically plausible?
Keeping in mind that he was 15 at the time, and 15-year olds are obnoxious whether they are star football players or not:

A. Several really good weeks in training, gets to train with the senior side for a week as a reward, and Arteta takes a shine to him.

B. Annoyingly acting too big for his britches, sent to train with the senior side to show how far he still has to go, but does well, and Artetat takes a shine to him.

C. Serious potential. Want to keep him, but can't throw money at him yet, because he's only fifteen, so we give the only reward we can.

Gonna guess it's mostly (C), because Arteta hasn't been good at pulling in academy players, but (A) and (B) are still possible.

Dutch D

At the age he is, what other indication is realistically plausible?
Maybe like 10 minutes in a finished game instead of 2minutes of extra time where the squad could've carried a make a wish kid, let alone a generational talent. Did he even touch the ball?

I dont know, it felt more like Arteta wanted a record than that he wanted to give him minutes. There has also been no follow-up.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Maybe like 10 minutes in a finished game instead of 2minutes of extra time where the squad could've carried a make a wish kid, let alone a generational talent. Did he even touch the ball?

I dont know, it felt more like Arteta wanted a record than that he wanted to give him minutes. There has also been no follow-up.
It's an indicator that we rate him highly and want him to stick around, imo. You just don't give PL debuts to 15-year olds normally.

lomekian

Essays are my thing

He did indeed touch the ball - I was there.

Yes the club thinks he's got huge potential, but 'follow' up, would have had him in the matchday squad ahead of senior players, most of who have significant top league experience or international caps. To get into a matchday squad of a title challenging club in any of the top 3 leagues is incredibly rare for someone under the age of 17. Not even Messi at Barca got into the squad at the same age.

To give Nwaneri regular access to the first team squad would be to treat him as a generational talent - and one physically ready to compete - which, when it comes to the EPL, Nwaneri clearly isn't.

Some seriously unrealistic expectations on here from people who've decided Arteta hates kids.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
But it’s also signs of the times that due to social media players get hyped way too much way too early. Mudryk is perfect example. Players get hyped based on attributes rather than actual work they have shown. Skelly for me has looked more impressive as well

Nah Nwaneri is the more impressive talent. But as I keep saying in professional football talent is only about 20% of it. MLS could ultimately go further in the game than Nwaneri.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
He didn't promote any so far, but the truth is we didn't have any top youth players to promote over the past 2 years. I wanted to rush Patino but can see now that he is not ready at all so fair to say Arteta knows more than me :lol:
Dont think Patino will make it here with his lack of athleticism.

Nwaneri and Lewis Skelly could. They can physically handle themselves but also have the technique to go with it

Dutch D

He did indeed touch the ball - I was there.

Yes the club thinks he's got huge potential, but 'follow' up, would have had him in the matchday squad ahead of senior players, most of who have significant top league experience or international caps. To get into a matchday squad of a title challenging club in any of the top 3 leagues is incredibly rare for someone under the age of 17. Not even Messi at Barca got into the squad at the same age.

To give Nwaneri regular access to the first team squad would be to treat him as a generational talent - and one physically ready to compete - which, when it comes to the EPL, Nwaneri clearly isn't.

Some seriously unrealistic expectations on here from people who've decided Arteta hates kids.
I'm not saying he should be in the squad every week, but surely if you bring him and the game is dead 5 minutes after the start of the second half you can endeavour to bring him on around the 80-85 minute mark instead of the 90+2?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
People can try to downplay his talent all they want if it makes them easier to let it go but truth is that he is our biggest talent along side Lewis-Skelly. They are probably the biggest talents in the country in their age group.
It'll be like when we lost Yunus Musah most likely. Musah now a pretty strong international player now, could probably do with him as one of the 8s. We're gonna lose talents from time to time, big ones too. Hopefully we don't lose Nwaneri but we'll have to see.

Top Bottom