• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Euro 2016

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Season is very nearly over for us Arsenal fans, only Villa left to play and no FA cup final to look forward to. However the Euros are coming up very soon so I decided to make a thread as I couldn't see one and the Euros are probably worth a thread right?

Anyway hosts France released there squad today:

Hugo Lloris, Steve Mandanda, Benoit Costil, Raphael Varane, Laurent Koscielny, Eliaquim Mangala, Jeremy Mathieu, Patrice Evra, Bacary Sagna, Christophe Jallet, Lucas Digne, Paul Pogba, Blaise Matuidi, Lassana Diarra, N'Golo Kante, Yohan Cabaye, Moussa Sissoko, Antoine Griezmann, Dimitri Payet, Anthony Martial, Kingsley Coman, Olivier Giroud, Andre-Pierre Gignac.

This thread is to discuss everything Euros. If people want to make specific group threads closer to date that'd be cool.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Really excited for the Euro's! I think we are going to see some big surprises.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
France can leave out Benzema but England can't even drop Rooney to the bench.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
They still lack a better CF in that squad imo. Other than that it looks quite solid. Will be interesting to see if they can put their egos aside.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Anyone going? I'm seeing Wales play but I'm also selling tickets for the last 16 game in St Etienne. HMU AM

Fonzy Fons

Belgium's squad is also anounced:

Keepers:
Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea, 1992)
Simon Mignolet (Liverpool, 1988)
Jean-Francois Gillet (KV Mechelen, 1979)

Defenders:

Thomas Vermaelen (FC Barcelona, 1985)
Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur, 1987)
Jason Denayer (Galatasaray, 1995)
Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit Sint Petersburg, 1985)
Jordan Lukaku (KV Oostende, 1994)
Thomas Meunier (Club Brugge, 1991)
Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham Hotspur, 1989)
Björn Engels (Club Brugge, 1991)
Dedryck Boyata (Celtic Glasgow, 1990)

Holding Midfielders:
Mousa Dembele (Tottenham Hotspur, 1987)
Marouane Felliani (Manchester United, 1987)
Radja Nainggolan (AS Roma, 1988)
Axel Witsel (Zenit Sint Petersburg, 1989)

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers:

Yannick Carrasco (Atletico Madrid, 1993)
Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City, 1991)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea, 1991)
Dries Mertens (Napoli, 1987)

Strikers:

Cristian Benteke (Liverpool, 1990)
Romelu Lukaku (Everton, 1993)
Michy Batshuayi (Marseille, 1993)
Divock Origi (Liverpool, 1995)

One defender still has to be dropped. Wilmots decided to take one extra since many are injury prone.
Compared to the Brazil World Cup, no more Chadli, Mirallas or Januzaj. Kompany obviously out injured. Defence seems a weak spot. Alderweireld-Vertonghen would still make a great partnership at the back, but since our fullbacks are so ****e, it's not happening.
Most realistic first 11 option at this point probably is:
-------------------------Courtois-----------------------
Alderweireld-Denayer-Lombaerts*-Vertonghen
---------------Nainggolan--Witsel*--------------------
-Carrasco---------De Bruyne-----------Hazard-----
-----------------Lukaku/Origi*-------------------------

*Lombaerts or Vermaelen is still a big question mark. Denayer seems certain.
*Dembele is in better form than Witsel, but the latter always seems to have his spot.
*First striker is probably the biggest question mark.

Heisenberg

Belgium's squad is also anounced:

Keepers:
Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea, 1992)
Simon Mignolet (Liverpool, 1988)
Jean-Francois Gillet (KV Mechelen, 1979)

Defenders:

Thomas Vermaelen (FC Barcelona, 1985)
Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur, 1987)
Jason Denayer (Galatasaray, 1995)
Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit Sint Petersburg, 1985)
Jordan Lukaku (KV Oostende, 1994)
Thomas Meunier (Club Brugge, 1991)
Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham Hotspur, 1989)
Björn Engels (Club Brugge, 1991)
Dedryck Boyata (Celtic Glasgow, 1990)

Holding Midfielders:
Mousa Dembele (Tottenham Hotspur, 1987)
Marouane Felliani (Manchester United, 1987)
Radja Nainggolan (AS Roma, 1988)
Axel Witsel (Zenit Sint Petersburg, 1989)

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers:

Yannick Carrasco (Atletico Madrid, 1993)
Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City, 1991)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea, 1991)
Dries Mertens (Napoli, 1987)

Strikers:

Cristian Benteke (Liverpool, 1990)
Romelu Lukaku (Everton, 1993)
Michy Batshuayi (Marseille, 1993)
Divock Origi (Liverpool, 1995)

Most realistic first 11 option at this point probably is:
-------------------------Courtois-----------------------
Alderweireld-Denayer-Lombaerts*-Vertonghen
---------------Nainggolan--Witsel*--------------------
-Carrasco---------De Bruyne-----------Hazard-----
-----------------Lukaku/Origi*-------------------------

*Lombaerts or Vermaelen is still a big question mark. Denayer seems certain.
*Dembele is in better form than Witsel, but the latter always seems to have his spot.
*First striker is probably the biggest question mark.
Would be absolute mental if they do not take advantage of the great partnership between Alderweireld and Verthongen. And some people say J. Lukaku is a alright LB. That leaves them only with RB as an issue. The best RB in the Belgian league could be enough when the other guys are good.
But, you are probably right with your formation.

Furthermore, I think they should go "all Sp**s" and play Dembele too. He will know the centerbacks. Then ket Wiesel and Nainggolan fight for the other spot.
Whoever they play up front seems to be quality: Carrasco, De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku. Pretty solid. And decent backups too.

OG J0E

So hard to call who will win this, each team has got problems:

France's defence is average and they have a centre back up front
Germany have a crap manager and will be missing Lahm, Schweinsteiger, possibly Khedira
Spain have lost their winning system and are unreliable at CF
England's team is rubbish bar the strikers and Hodgson will probably insist on playing Rooney
Belgium flatter to deceive
Italy are ****

If Spain can sort out their striker they are dark horses IMO.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
still got no idea how Laporte A.Bilbao defender is not called in france squad but crap player like Mangala get called.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
i think Germany gonna win it this time if not france they are well coached got many of talented player in every position.

BobP

Memri Fan
That French squad looks quite good.

-------------Lloris

Sagna-Varane-Koscielny-Evra

------------ Kante
--------Pogba--Matuidi

-------------Payet

-----Griezmann-Martial

Got to do anything to make sure France don't have to endure that donkey.

Am interested in who France opt to go with in the holding position, Diarra, Kante, or possibly switching somebody more adept on the ball there like Pogba.

Also, where the **** is Ben Arfa?

On another note, is it just me or is there a massive dearth in the fullback position?

Belgium have token fullbacks in their squad in Lukaku and Meunier. Evra and Sagna are probably close to their expiration date for France, as is Jallet and Digne has stagnated after showing initial promise. Germany are in the same boat, having to use Hector who is actually not too bad and Rudy, who isn't even a RB to start with. They have little else beyond that. Italy also have little quality in that position, except maybe Darmian who I rate despite his problems settling in at United.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

That French squad looks quite good.

-------------Lloris

Sagna-Varane-Koscielny-Evra

------------ Kante
--------Pogba--Matuidi

-------------Payet

-----Griezmann-Martial

Got to do anything to make sure France don't have to endure that donkey.

Am interested in who France opt to go with in the holding position, Diarra, Kante, or possibly switching somebody more adept on the ball there like Pogba.

Also, where the **** is Ben Arfa?

On another note, is it just me or is there a massive dearth in the fullback position?

Belgium have token fullbacks in their squad in Lukaku and Meunier. Evra and Sagna are probably close to their expiration date for France, as is Jallet and Digne has stagnated after showing initial promise. Germany are in the same boat, having to use Hector who is actually not too bad and Rudy, who isn't even a RB to start with. They have little else beyond that. Italy also have little quality in that position, except maybe Darmian who I rate despite his problems settling in at United.

If they find a way to put Coman in the team it could be special. Perhaps even over Martial as they can play Payet on the left.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Cabaye and Sissoko were always gonna go, Dechamps really likes them. If Diaby was fit enough I'm sure he would've gone too.

I hope he knows what he's doing, huge pressure from the French fans to make a good fist of it on home turf.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
still got no idea how Laporte A.Bilbao defender is not called in france squad but crap player like Mangala get called.

Laporte broke his leg pretty badly in March playing for France U21's. He's still recovering sadly. That said, I'm fairly sure he said he'd consider representing Spain internationally, he's eligible for both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom