• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Europa League 2017-2018

Would you be okay with Wenger staying on as manager if he wins the Europa League?

• Total voters

Liam Slamcock

So this is to be our European competition for the year, and we find out our group draw on the 25th of August.

In my opinion it offers us a great - and for once realistic - chance of European silverware, and with it a real springboard of experience and confidence to take into the 2018-2019 Champions League, which we would qualify automatically for if we win this.

I was interested in everyone else's thoughts on whether we should take this competition seriously, or keep our players back for their domestic exertions?

tcahill

The one advantage of having a bloated squad is our current squad depth. Just playing our squaddies and younger players, and keeping our first XI fresh for the league.
With a 'B-team' that looks something like Ospina, Gabriel, Chambers, Holding, Monreal, Bellerin, Wilshere, Elneny, Iwobi, Walcott, Giroud, we should steamroll everyone until the semis/final.

{reed}

Poundland GDeep
The one advantage of having a bloated squad is our current squad depth. Just playing our squaddies and younger players, and keeping our first XI fresh for the league.
With a 'B-team' that looks something like Ospina, Gabriel, Chambers, Holding, Monreal, Bellerin, Wilshere, Elneny, Iwobi, Walcott, Giroud, we should steamroll everyone until the semis/final.
We play our B-team in the EFL Cup and get knocked out quite early.

be alot of resting for the group stage games, especially with vital man city and chelsea games on the sunday after a europa league Thursday game.
quite excited about the europa league in a weird sense, first really good chance of winning a european trophy for along time, might help to build confidence on a european stage.
was becoming frustrating and predictable,constantly losing to bayern in the last 16

You don't get to "steamroll" anyone in the Europa League with your B-team. We've seen it time and time again. Teams with weaker squads on paper advance simply because they take things more seriously.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Back 3
Bellerin Wilshere -------- Elneny/Coquelin Gibbs/Youth

Nelson Iwobi

Giroud

This team should be good enough to see us to the semi finals at least. Then we take a call as to whether we play our first team or not.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Back 3
Bellerin Wilshere -------- Elneny/Coquelin Gibbs/Youth

Nelson Iwobi

Giroud

This team should be good enough to see us to the semi finals at least. Then we take a call as to whether we play our first team or not.
That team could barely get past relegation fodder. What makes you think they'd challenge for a European title.

I know it's Europa people, but we don't play the blind school every week here. There are a few decent teams here and just takes one off night to eliminate us.

tcahill

You don't get to "steamroll" anyone in the Europa League with your B-team. We've seen it time and time again. Teams with weaker squads on paper advance simply because they take things more seriously.

That's true, I hadn't considered the team's mentality which could be a serious detriment. I still believe, however, that we are far stronger in depth that even some of the 'big clubs', and that we should still be favourites in most of the EL games. If you look at the players I listed, it is still a strong squad, without even a single first XI player. The 'weakest' player there would be Walcott or Elneny.

BBF

I think we should take it seriously if we are able reach the quarter finals. Anything else is a waste until then.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm mixed personally.

On one hand, I wouldn't mind seeing us take it seriously, but on the other hand I want to see the youngsters get a chance to play, and not bullshit 5 min cameos either.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I'm mixed personally.

On one hand, I wouldn't mind seeing us take it seriously, but on the other hand I want to see the youngsters get a chance to play, and not bullshit 5 min cameos either.
We'll just have to mix it up. Give real game time to guys like Nelson, Iwobi, Holding who are already quality. Somebody like Giroud is not a starter in the league but is more than good enough for Europa. Alexis will not be pleased sitting out the games. We just have to protect the likes of Ramsey, Koscielny etc. We'll see a good mix of talent and experience, without it beeing a B team.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Play the "B team", especially away from home, and if we can still go through from the first knock-out phase then I'd start taking it more seriously

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
We should solely use it as an opportunity to rotate and develop our young players. We want to be top 4 at the absolute minimum which will require all of our focus in the league. If we miss out on top 4 because our best players are fatigued from some Thursday night fixture on a minefield in the Ukraine then that will be a real dereliction of duty on Wenger's part. We should prioritize the League and then the FA Cup.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Wenger has already said he will use fringe players for the EL. I can understand that due to the fact that the last 2 PL winners have had no European football to play but he needs to be careful not to blow our chances in both. At least if we are still in the EL come April, we can use it as a ticket to the CL next season if we are out of the PL race.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
What's the difference between top 4 and winning this if they both get you CL? (other than money that doesn't affect me)

WakeupCall

Even our second string team can win the EL be serious guys. I dont like this underrating of our team all the time. We are not up there with the best, but lead the rest. Ive heard Everton will finish above us i mean wtf?

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Mourinho won it last year so Wenger is gonna make a point of not giving a **** about it this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom