• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Europa League 2017-2018

Would you be okay with Wenger staying on as manager if he wins the Europa League?

• Total voters

EL is just our level at the moment and in order to progress we have to beat our current level. Win or do extremely well there and we can say we belong in CL next year.

There was no accident that put us in EL. We belong there until we prove otherwise!

skip spence

I would be happy with the EL obviously its not a CL or league title but its still a bigger trophy than the FA Cup or League Cup. You wouldnt be going around screaming about winning an FA Cup or League Cup would you? Doesnt mean its not nice to win a pot especially a european one. God knows our euopean trophy cabinet is pretty fkin empty.
I honestly rate the FA cup higher than the EL. The competition has a rich history and there's a special feeling going to Wembley in fair May. Easier to fluke with a few lucky draws perhaps but you also gotta get past better teams to win.

Never liked the EL. At least with the old Cup Winners Cup you qualified by winning something. What does it for me is that you can qualify by failing in the CL, finishing third in the group, making it a loser's Cup for any team that matters.

No I wouldn't shout in the street over a EL win, but fair enough, maybe this year a EL win would mean more than an FA Cup win, us never having won anything in Europe, and that winning the FA cup has almost been held against us after a poor league finish for some reason. But for now, good opportunity to rest the stars and audition the others.

RoadrunnerReloaded

I honestly rate the FA cup higher than the EL. The competition has a rich history and there's a special feeling going to Wembley in fair May. Easier to fluke with a few lucky draws perhaps but you also gotta get past better teams to win.

Never liked the EL. At least with the old Cup Winners Cup you qualified by winning something. What does it for me is that you can qualify by failing in the CL, finishing third in the group, making it a loser's Cup for any team that matters.

No I wouldn't shout in the street over a EL win, but fair enough, maybe this year a EL win would mean more than an FA Cup win, us never having won anything in Europe, and that winning the FA cup has almost been held against us after a poor league finish for some reason. But for now, good opportunity to rest the stars and audition the others.

You don't have to win anything to qualify for the FA Cup either so that's a "loser's cup" by your logic. Fact is, elite players don't care about winning domestic cups anymore. Just not reality.

The EL is our level. We are miles away from winning the CL so its just counter productive and elitist to act like we are too good to try to win the EL because its a "loser's cup". We already have a reputation for being losers in Europe so no reason we shouldn't win the loser's cup to you :)

When clubs that have won multiple CLs don't turn their noses up at the chance to win a European trophy we shouldn't have the snobby mindset that you have.

The rest should come from complety ignoring the domestic cups this year. Trying to win another FA Cup is pointless.

Tywin

We (hopefully) might not get another chance to win the EL so might as well take this one. Trust me once you've won enough CL you will want an EL to complete the set. After I won like 5-6 CL in a row in football manager I had to purposely finish 3rd to win the EL to complete my set.

Jokes aside Chelsea/Utd have won the EL and Pool plus a bunch of other English clubs have tried and failed to win it. Who the fk are we with next to 0 european trophies to say its not a big deal?

OSBK

Established Member
I think we can afford to take this semi serious, give fringe players a run out and if we get further in then take it serious.

Our priority has to be the league, everything must go into the league. EL is a nice fallback and another FA cup wpuld be super

skip spence

You don't have to win anything to qualify for the FA Cup either so that's a "loser's cup" by your logic.
But the best also enter, thus the Cup is not cheapened by teams that already feel disappointed dropping out of or not qualifying for the CL. All English teams may enter the FA Cup just like all English teams may enter the league system.

When clubs that have won multiple CLs don't turn their noses up at the chance to win a European trophy we shouldn't have the snobby mindset that you have.
Really not having a snobby mindset, just stating my opinion. I rate the FA Cup but don't care much for the EL and don't give a **** about the League Cup. I agree we should do a professional job trying to win the EL. But never if it puts doing well in the PL matches at risk.

I 'd like EL better if I'd get to watch Wilshere, Iwobi, Nelson, Giroud ect play.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I'm guessing the poll needs to be changed because the second option is a myth isn't it?:lol:

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
People still think Arsenal will walk into the top four? :lol:

Come 2018 the EL could be our only realistic path back into the CL.

Oh and btw Red Star won today 4-0 in their regional league.

RoadrunnerReloaded

Saw this today and I find it very relevant for us.

United earned €44,503,170 (£40m) for winning the EL in addition to earning the place in the Champions league.

Our R16 exit last year only earned us less than £20M more than United €64,573,000 (£58m)

This should really settle how important it is for us to do everything we can to win the EL. Winning the final would almost close the gap between losing in the R16 as we had for 7 straight years in addition to getting us into the CL in a far more prestigious manner by winning a European trophy than just backing into Top 4 this year.

When spring comes around, I really want to see us dedicate as much effort into winning this trophy as United and Liverpool have done the last two seasons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-United-earned-40m-Europa-League-triumph.html

DerDeutscheMann

WurzlSepp Mark 2
How can anyone who has a brain working at at least 50+% say that the EL is the loser league?
How arrogant and decadent are some ppl out there? Brain washed neo-liberal victims, go to school and try to understand at least a little bit of what is going on on this planet you muppets!

FA cup is worthless... EL is worthless...
Ppl who say stuff like this are the truly worthless ones!

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
How can anyone who has a brain working at at least 50+% say that the EL is the loser league?
How arrogant and decadent are some ppl out there? Brain washed neo-liberal victims, go to school and try to understand at least a little bit of what is going on on this planet you muppets!

FA cup is worthless... EL is worthless...
Ppl who say stuff like this are the truly worthless ones!
What in the world are you talking about?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah so do I , Fa cup last season was harder to win too . The sheer fact the FA cup is the oldest Cup and the EL in another 10 years might not be the EL tells you what's more valuable in the long run .

Smudeagle

Any travelling Gooner’s got experience with resale away European tickets? I’m in Cologne next week visiting a friend and have got potential access to (someone else’s) tickets in the away end. I know that European away tickets have names printed on them... will I get in? Any experiences to share?

Last edited:
Top Bottom