• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Europa League Final: Chelsea v Arsenal | May 29, 2019 20:00 BST | BT Sport

Who will win the Europa League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
The reason I want Arsenal to beat Chelsea:
Expectations: winning a european trophy & getting CL football;
Reality: more memes about Emery bossing the EL yet again.

Last edited:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
In 2006 Arsenal played Barcelona in the Champions League final.

Thierry Henry, a man who performed miracles on the pitch with such regularity that they became the norm, missed a sitter (by his standards) that would have put us 2-0 up.

Henry had been heavily linked to Barcelona at the time - up to the point that a pitch invader draped him in a Barcelona shirt in the previous fixture against Villarreal(*). He joined Barcelona the following summer.

Taking all of the the above into account, Petr Cech must be dropped for the Europa League final.

( * - People bleating about unattractive football under Emery need to sit down and watch this game. Hell they should watch every game in this CL campaign, Wenger threw his philosophy out of the window and played a cautious defensive based game with counter attacks, reaping glorious rewards. He completely abandoned the approach the next season)

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Bullsh*t. Just wear the t-shirts, they should be grateful we're even there in the first place. I'd be embarrassed by this club if it went there and did nothing to support Mkhi, that would just be pathetic. So far most of the players are just saying "oh yeah it's really sad for him, we want to win it for him", instead of "this is a disgrace, we're really angry about this".

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

I read that people are taking Mikhi masks to wear at the game - which sounds about as advisable as turning up with a “Gay Gooners” flag.

Incidentally, I met the bloke who plays Gunnersaurus at a club event the other week (sorry, guys, he’s not actually a dinosaur) - he wasn’t even sure if he was going to the game - perhaps Azerbaijanis are Dinasauric...

Bottom line though - this remains a game of football albeit one played in somewhat absurd and bizarre circumstances, arranged by a monopoly, which has arguably mislaid its moral compass - albeit Football is a business as well as a sport - this is the dichotomy which will always leave the genuine fans at odds with the administrators.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
In 2006 Arsenal played Barcelona in the Champions League final.

Thierry Henry, a man who performed miracles on the pitch with such regularity that they became the norm, missed a sitter (by his standards) that would have put us 2-0 up.

Henry had been heavily linked to Barcelona at the time - up to the point that a pitch invader draped him in a Barcelona shirt in the previous fixture against Villarreal(*). He joined Barcelona the following summer.

Taking all of the the above into account, Petr Cech must be dropped for the Europa League final.

( * - People bleating about unattractive football under Emery need to sit down and watch this game. Hell they should watch every game in this CL campaign, Wenger threw his philosophy out of the window and played a cautious defensive based game with counter attacks, reaping glorious rewards. He completely abandoned the approach the next season)
As I recall that night, and I'll never forget it all my life, Henry was kicked to bits by Marquez and the other Barcelona thug. That was some welcome.

Ljungberg also missed a sitter. Almunia managed to score an own goal. Were they also linked heavily to Barcelona at the time?

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
As I recall that night, and I'll never forget it all my life, Henry was kicked to bits by Marquez and the other Barcelona thug. That was some welcome.

Ljungberg also missed a sitter. Almunia managed to score an own goal. Were they also linked heavily to Barcelona at the time?

It's always easy to look at something happening and then come to a conclusion using something that is very plausible. In reality you could just as easily find another plausible explanation.

Perfect example, a player plays badly, or in Henry's case misses a sitter, the speculation could have unsettled him. Which is perfectly possible. But then there could be many other plausible explanations. He was unlucky, just a bad day etc.

If i remember rightly Vieira's last kick for us was to tuck away a winning penalty. Surely he must have been unsettled, probably not knowing or in the middle of negotiations at that time. If he missed that kick it would have been easy to say he should never have taken that penalty.

NZgunner

my own thoughts are that this game means far more to us that Chelsea - not so much the trophy, but the CL place

although this cuts both ways - we could be more tense and nervous

the uncertainty around Sarri is in our favour, although the Azerbaijani "neutrals" will probably support Chelsea even though HM won't be there

bottom line, if we are properly mentally prepared I think we'll win

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny

Don’t recall Freddie’s miss. Have tried to erase the game from my memory TBF. Google returns zero hits on it. The same search for Henry’s miss returns about 45 million hits.

Freddie was a legend, but Henry was a superhuman god. I was already celebrating the goal as he was lining up the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom