• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roz

Fake News Merchant
All *invited* clubs back out.

Or them not realizing the biggest problem. National football. If UEFA actually goes through with that threat there will be more than enough players and countries that don't play ball.

Alas, I don't think they can though. Too much backlash.
If this does go ahead surely they’ll just make their own International tournament too? At that stage why not? More money.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Plenty.

Refusal of work permits (if implemented by the three countries currently involved) will mean the end of top non-EU players playing for the ESL teams.

Councils can prevent games from going ahead for a 1001 reasons.

Policing costs will be passed in full to the teams (currently subsidised).

Monopoly law might be invoked against a closed-shop league.

Etc etc

I hope you're right.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
It's different, it's change from the normal. People don't like change, especially change this big. The grass isn't always greener, but we haven't seen it yet either. Nobody knows if it'll work or if it'll flop. Everyone's just throwing their 2 cents in depending on who they work for and who they side with.
Are you telling us to...
TRUST THE PROCESS?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If this does go ahead surely they’ll just make their own International tournament too? At that stage why not? More money.

How does that work considering the bulk of international players aren’t in the ESL?

If they can’t get contracts in the ESL they might not be able to play with their players. So that leaves you with a few superstars and a bunch of semi pro scabs.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Is there any realistic way that this doesn't happen at this point?

Think the Super League will only get bigger, if anything.

It could fail miserably still. Big clubs tried it here in Brazil and got nothing to show for it.

Not the same backdrop, but it had to do with breaking away from Globo having a monopoly over TV rights and how the TV money was getting split.

No real fallout tho, which is almost a guarantee in our particular case.

carlito'sway

Established Member
A YouGov poll found that 79% of football fans opposed the creation of the European Super League, with just 14% supporting it - while 51% wanted the breakaway clubs to be kicked out of the Premier League.

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp voiced his opposition to the breakaway. “I understand the fans anger because of the Super League,” he said. “I don’t know exactly why the 12 clubs did it. But … it’s always ’more games, more games’. It’s about more money, nothing else”.

blaze_of_glory

Plenty.

Refusal of work permits (if implemented by the three countries currently involved) will mean the end of top non-EU players playing for the ESL teams.

Councils can prevent games from going ahead for a 1001 reasons.

Policing costs will be passed in full to the teams (currently subsidised).

Monopoly law might be invoked against a closed-shop league.

Etc etc
I read something quickly about the UK gov't being able to issue Compulsory Sale Orders if certain types of institutions/entities are at risk but I have no idea if that could actually be on the table for something like this.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
What about the clubs in the Super League themselves, what would make them not want to do this?

They are getting mocked relentlessly now, they would look like ****** if they didn't do it now :lol:

Think with the money and power they have, this was inevitable sadly.

roz

Fake News Merchant
I wouldn't say scripted, maybe plastic would be a better word? It's just that, since there's no qualification or access to it - bar those 5 or so clubs that could "qualify" -, is there any unpredictability here?

Madrid won 3 on the trot, but before it they were a fallen giant in the competition, they built a team and Zidane came along... There's no real domination in the CL and that's the appeal to me as a neutral, City and PSG have been trying to buy their way in to the final and failed.

Only Chelsea succeed and that says a lot about the level of the competition.
Funny though as most likely either PSG or City finally win it this year.

I think plenty of champions league games were rigged to ensure certain teams won tbh. Don’t see why the super league would be any different. Especially to keep it “unpredictable” as you say.

It would end up getting so stale surely? Same teams over and over with only first place as a prize?

Top Bottom