• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

If Boris Johnson needs a vote winner, he should come down like a lump of lard on this thing.

Harz

Honestly it's been very worrying and I've been against it all along but it's not like UEFA are capable great organizer of football tournaments. I think the next CL format is going to suck hard so I wouldn't mind clubs coming up with a better system and a better distribution of wealth but ofc that'll never happen so... still against it.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Tbh they're not wrong, something has to be done, the figures are just grotesque, that a promoted club can spend more than 4 big leagues combined...the beauty of european football is our diversity of clubs and histories from all around the continent. At this pace that basically goes away, it's already gone away to a great extent.

The strong opposers of the super league talk a lot about how it's not democratic (great hypocrisy disguised as moral outrage by the people in the game--our own Arsène included 😔--this is just a war of interests, like most things, especially business and economics), well it's not very democratic to have one league / group to be dominating financially to this extent, and there's certainly nothing democratic about 90% of Premier League ownership groups, so there's some real great irony there...

I don't know what the solution is. A massive sort of premier league tax whereby Premier League clubs are obliged to spread their money equally through Europe? A limit on first-team signings (because if you limit spending with stuff like FFP these clubs will always find a way to trick the system with deceptive payments and false sponsorships and all that crap) made in a window and a year and a 3 year running period? (I rather like this one, tbh, it would place more emphasis on strategy and award intelligent squad planning and player development more)

I don't like a super league either, I'm too old and too nostalgic to get my head around domestic leagues with so much history fading into the background, or for big European nights against massive clubs to be not a special occasion but a commonplace. But yeah I think it's pretty obvious that the people behind the Super League have a point and something needs to be done.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Tbh they're not wrong, something has to be done, the figures are just grotesque, that a promoted club can spend more than 4 big leagues combined...the beauty of european football is our diversity of clubs and histories from all around the continent. At this pace that basically goes away, it's already gone away to a great extent.

The strong opposers of the super league talk a lot about how it's not democratic (great hypocrisy disguised as moral outrage by the people in the game--our own Arsène included 😔--this is just a war of interests, like most things, especially business and economics), well it's not very democratic to have one league / group to be dominating financially to this extent, and there's certainly nothing democratic about 90% of Premier League ownership groups, so there's some real great irony there...

I don't know what the solution is. A massive sort of premier league tax whereby Premier League clubs are obliged to spread their money equally through Europe? A limit on first-team signings (because if you limit spending with stuff like FFP these clubs will always find a way to trick the system with deceptive payments and false sponsorships and all that crap) made in a window and a year and a 3 year running period? (I rather like this one, tbh, it would place more emphasis on strategy and award intelligent squad planning and player development more)

I don't like a super league either, I'm too old and too nostalgic to get my head around domestic leagues with so much history fading into the background, or for big European nights against massive clubs to be not a special occasion but a commonplace. But yeah I think it's pretty obvious that the people behind the Super League have a point and something needs to be done.
The right answer is that the Super league is a turd. They can polish it all they like.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Why should the premier league pay for other leagues?

If Barcelona and Juventus can't get their ducks in a row, they should go under.

It's that simple.

It destroys grass roots football even further.
Perhaps, this will end up like an Italian-Spanish league with 'special invites' ie PSG. The English Premier League should stay right out of this rubbish.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Why should the premier league pay for other leagues?

If Barcelona and Juventus can't get their ducks in a row, they should go under.

It's that simple.

It destroys grass roots football even further.
This is very simplistic. More than Barça and Juventus it's about Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, la Real (won't even mention Depor or Zaragoza...), Betis, Sevilla, Athletic, Valencia, Dortmund, Monchengladbach, Ajax, PSV, Porto, Benfica, Sporting, etc. etc. having some sort of chance. These clubs in european competition are facing up against English clubs with 5x the squad cost. It's ridiculous. Even the biggest club in the history of the sport is routinely facing up against squads with double the squad cost. It just doesn't make sense and it's normal that people want to find solutions. Like with any field of business that has got out of control.

Perhaps, this will end up like an Italian-Spanish league with 'special invites' ie PSG. The English Premier League should stay right out of this rubbish.
Indeed, it doesn't worry you in England because there is no worry to England whatsoever, they are in the position of advantage. The scenario you discuss here is just what I don't want. I don't want my Spanish clubs with a lot of history to all of a sudden be playing in some second division while the bigger ones play with the bigger Italian and Portuguese and Dutch and German ones. And I'm sure any Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, or German person will feel the same. It's a bit arrogant of the English to just say, nah, not for us these problems in Europe that we're very much apart of, and on top it off soothe their consciousness with moral outrage about 'democracy' when it's precisely the lack of democracy that the Premier League is propagating that has helped create this problem.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
This is very simplistic. More than Barça and Juventus it's about Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, la Real (won't even mention Depor or Zaragoza...), Betis, Sevilla, Athletic, Valencia, Dortmund, Monchengladbach, Ajax, PSV, Porto, Benfica, Sporting, etc. etc. having some sort of chance. These clubs in european competition are facing up against English clubs with 5x the squad cost. It's ridiculous. Even the biggest club in the history of the sport is routinely facing up against squads with double the squad cost. It just doesn't make sense and it's normal that people want to find solutions. Like with any field of business that has got out of control.

But you can't put say, a salary cap in England, without putting one in other leagues.

The PL should not suffer for UEFA's inability to deal with financial fairplay and the Super League solves absolutely nothing. It furthers the gap between top teams and mid-table/lower division sides.

It's basically a scam to give the bigger clubs and even large slice of the pie.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
But you can't put say, a salary cap in England, without putting one in other leagues.
There already is one in other leagues 😂. It's just borne out of utter necessity rather than regulations, which is the most powerful kind of salary cap.

(Jokiness aside, we do have a salary cap in Spain, not sure about the other leagues)

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Indeed, it doesn't worry you in England because there is no worry to England whatsoever, they are in the position of advantage. The scenario you discuss here is just what I don't want. I don't want my Spanish clubs with a lot of history to all of a sudden be playing in some second division while the bigger ones play with the bigger Italian and Portuguese and Dutch and German ones. And I'm sure any Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, or German person will feel the same. It's a bit arrogant of the English to just say, nah, not for us these problems in Europe that we're very much apart of, and on top it off soothe their consciousness with moral outrage about 'democracy' when it's precisely the lack of democracy that the Premier League is propagating that has helped create this problem.
In my view, to blame the Premier League on this is completely misguided. This is driven by Real Madrid and Barcelona, who are both very poorly run financially. Don't blame the Premier League because it is more appealing globally.

Real Madrid and Barcelona simply have to cut the cloth to fit their circumstances. There is a reason why this proposal was met by outrage in Europe.

Top Bottom