Euros Nostalgia

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
Forgot about Dias, yes he would partner Stones.

Palhinha (I rate highly and want to partner Rice for Arsenal) Vitinha also but no way are they getting into the team ahead of Rice and Bellingham.

B.Silva is a quality player but he isn't getting in the team ahead of likes of Bellingham, Folden, Saka, and Palmer.

Vand de ven would partner Stones. De legit isn't getting in ahead of stones. Simmons doesn't make it ahead of Folden. De Jong is quality but doesn't make it in ahead of Bellingham.

You're assuming a certain formation though. Play 3 at the back with attacking wing backs and you suddenly have a much more balanced team in terms of quality.

It does feel like there are fewer world class defenders today compared to the early 2000's. All the kids want to be like C. Ronaldo and Messi these days rather than Cannavaro and Nesta.

No one grew up wanting to be Cannavaro or Nesta ffs :lol: Every kid wanted to be Ronaldo, Beckham, Ronaldinho etc.

There are plenty of world class defenders around, the main difference is every second of their performances is captured, analyzed and shared on socials, so every minor mistake gets magnified 100x compared to the older generation. Gabriel can play 3000 minutes of borderline flawless defending and get clowned on for weeks for one mistake because it spread to millions.

I'd really encourage you to sit down and watch a game from the 90s in full, it's absolutely staggering how **** the football is.

Thrice

Euro 2024 Superbru Champion 🏆
I'd really encourage you to sit down and watch a game from the 90s in full, it's absolutely staggering how **** the football is.
Yeah, prime Nesta, Cannavaro, Thuram, Dunga,... were terrible to watch... I have no idea how anyone could idolize these plumbers...

Just because there was no ticki-tacka-1000 passes for one shot on goal football doesn't mean the game was worse.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Yeah, prime Nesta, Cannavaro, Thuram, Dunga,... were terrible to watch... I have no idea how anyone could idolize these plumbers...

Just because there was no ticki-tacka-1000 passes for one shot on goal football doesn't mean the game was worse.

There are a lot of games from the 90s on YouTube and i have seen some of them. Very entertaining football and great players. Faaaaar away from the stale and pedantic shìt we have to see today. And less diving since the refs barely cared about rough challenges.

Dokaka

I didn't call them plumbers. I said the overall quality of the game was ****.

Look at this ffs:

dB57MNZ.gif

4jJBY7S.gif

You know Gabriel, Saliba or any other modern CB would be ****ing killed on social media for that display there.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

I didn't call them plumbers. I said the overall quality of the game was ****.

Look at this ffs:

dB57MNZ.gif

4jJBY7S.gif

You know Gabriel, Saliba or any other modern CB would be ****ing killed on social media for that display there.

We can get examples like that from "modern" football aswell.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Footballers weren't perfect back in the 90s/00s, or course they all made mistakes no one is saying otherwise...but it's not like we also don't see loads of errors today too.

Just that how football was generally back then was more enjoyable to watch since it was more based on skill than systems, players were allowed to express themselves more.

I do think the general level was higher then to now, but not by much...my main issue is the game being very percentages based now, it's less fun.

Dokaka

Footballers weren't perfect back in the 90s/00s, or course they all made mistakes no one is saying otherwise...but it's not like we also don't see loads of errors today too.

Just that how football was generally back then was more enjoyable to watch since it was more based on skill than systems, players were allowed to express themselves more.

I do think the general level was higher then to now, but not by much...my main issue is the game being very percentages based now, it's less fun.

I agree it was a lot more enjoyable to watch, but it's so blatantly obvious that current top level footballers are just on a different level, the floor has been raised significantly. This doesn't mean the former greats wouldn't have been great today as well, they'd have the benefits of modern training methods and all that.

The main thing that stands out like a sore thumb is how genuinely terrible the squad players were - the stars were stars for a reason, but those guys who made up the other half of the starting XI.. oy vey. I genuinely refuse to believe anyone who constantly says the players were better has actually sat down and watched a full game from back then.

But it was definitely more fun to watch. Much more open, way more individual expression etc.

Riou

And let's also not act like there wasn't many elite defensive players back in the day too, tbh.

Sure more would have been made fun of more in the social media era as there is just more access to clips, but we all still made fun of our rivals players to our friends when they ****ed up back then... didn't mean they weren't top players, banter is banter though!

...still not seen a better tackle than this in terms of timing and technique from any Arsenal player since, new iPad based technology training or not 🤷‍♂️

Dokaka

And let's also not act like there wasn't many elite defensive players back in the day too, tbh.

Sure more would have been made fun of more in the social media era as there is just more access to clips, but we all still made fun of our rivals players to our friends when they ****ed up back then... didn't mean they weren't top players, banter is banter though!

...still not seen a better tackle than this in terms of timing and technique from any Arsenal player since, new iPad based technology training or not 🤷‍♂️

In fairness, that tackle is a red today :lol: Studs up, full leg extension. Not even joking, that's a red card.

That's one thing people don't talk about enough with defending then vs. now. Defenders were simply allowed to do more, and it's not even close. Watching some of those 90s matches you genuinely see 5-10 challenges per game that would be borderline red cards today.

Today you give away a penalty for a slight shirt pull. Different world really.

outlawz

Southgate's waistcoat knitter
You're assuming a certain formation though. Play 3 at the back with attacking wing backs and you suddenly have a much more balanced team in terms of quality.

No one grew up wanting to be Cannavaro or Nesta ffs :lol: Every kid wanted to be Ronaldo, Beckham, Ronaldinho etc.

There are plenty of world class defenders around, the main difference is every second of their performances is captured, analyzed and shared on socials, so every minor mistake gets magnified 100x compared to the older generation. Gabriel can play 3000 minutes of borderline flawless defending and get clowned on for weeks for one mistake because it spread to millions.

Another win take. Back in the day, you would rely on highlights, Ceefax or radio to get your fix with the odd game being shown live, so you would have limited footage and reference points of how good players really were, and more specifically how consistent they were.

I remember watching Arsenal Invincibles era on MOTD and how great we looked in highlights, especially our transitions which looked amazing and tailor made of highlights. Many years later I'd download full matches from that era and was surprised at how little possession we would have and how often we played on the break with the opponent bombarding us.

The spotlight is greater than it's ever been, the neurotic incels track every second of every performance of every game of every season. Players look way worse than they are relative to those of the past, because the level scrutiny is 10x greater.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
When I first saw this goal, I was shocked at it's absolute brilliance.

Probably The best ever goal scored in Euros.

Van Basten, what a striker, shame it ended too early for him

• Applause
Reactions: A_G

Riou

🤔
This is still better than 2016, when Portugal ****housed their way to the title, as Koscielny gave a nothing player in Eder a place in history of Portugal.

When will a current Arsenal player start and win an FA cup final, nevermind 2 of them 🤷‍♂️

Riou

I thought Euro 2016 was better than this one, tbh.

Portugal were ****houses that won it, but that could easily be France this year...plus good defensive football isn't totally awful, some quality teams and matches back in.2016.

France had much better balance that tournament, Germany were fun to watch in 2016 and as Rex said Wales were a proper enjoyable underdog team (they didn't need the best 3rd place nonsense to qualify either)

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]
Top Bottom