• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ex-DFB boss Zwanziger attacks FIFA, Qatar and Infantino

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
What do Fifa actually do, plan a World Cup every 4 years and the Club World Cup?

Create rankings, dish out a balon d'or, dictate sponsorship and what the players can and cant wear, they just seem to be 'hosts' with history, confused as to why big nations put up with them.

Can they not be f***ed off and those tournaments recreated by another governing body, are Fifa really that necessary? Excuse my ignorance, not overly sure what they do.

I just imagine if the top nations really wanted too they could refuse to play in the World Cup, create another tournament and all the other nations will follow.

I'm now thinking they hold player registrations etc, but again why, surely they dont 'own' football.

Someone please enlighten me as I'm actually interested in why they are this evil necessary. :)

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Great German report on the slave labour of Nepalese workers in Qatar in light of the WC 2022.

I activated subtitles automatically translated to English, but I don't know if the link copies that. You cn also do that manually.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Great German report on the slave labour of Nepalese workers in Qatar in light of the WC 2022.

I activated subtitles automatically translated to English, but I don't know if the link copies that. You cn also do that manually.

Lots of BS too.

Agreed that the conditions are deplorable but they get food, and they have insurance, and they earn a little money.

Trust me, the same people would have struggled to even survive back in Nepal

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just last week, one of the tea boys got very sick and got treated in a hospital for free. He had his job back when he recovered. Would have died back in Asia, and his family probably would have been on the streets.

Yes, they work in the sun, stay in cramped quarters like insects, and don't get treated fairly. But it is still better than back home.

Toby

Just last week, one of the tea boys got very sick and got treated in a hospital for free. He had his job back when he recovered. Would have died back in Asia, and his family probably would have been on the streets.

Yes, they work in the sun, stay in cramped quarters like insects, and don't get treated fairly. But it is still better than back home.

It's still a ****ed up thing anyway. Let's not act like Qatar are doing good stuff here, giving Nepalese people a chance to work and escape their poor home. It's a scheme to profit off of the poor. "Let's lure people from one of the poorest countries to work in one of the richest countries building on their hopes things might get better, and put conditions in that sweet spot where it's just that tad "better" than at home so they keep coming, but not exactly good." It is exploitation purely on the back of countries and people being poor. And don't forget they can't actually leave because their passports are taken away.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's still a ****ed up thing anyway. Let's not act like Qatar are doing good stuff here, giving Nepalese people a chance to work and escape their poor home. It's a scheme to profit off of the poor. "Let's lure people from one of the poorest countries to work in one of the richest countries building on their hopes things might get better, and put conditions in that sweet spot where it's just that tad "better" than at home so they keep coming, but not exactly good." It is exploitation purely on the back of countries and people being poor. And don't forget they can't actually leave because their passports are taken away.
yes it is exploitation. But aren't we all exploited in various ways? I'm not condoning this in any way, but it's either this, or a life of incredible hardships for everyone in their family.

Lots of these exploited people are able to make homes for their families, get them married and educated.

I don't envy them, but they are giving up their lives and youth for their children. Their children will have much better lives. They will go back and be able to enjoy the rest of their lives.

The ground reality is **** for poor people. There is no way out for the majority of them back in the country. They take huge loans to get out. This is the sad part, that they will probably work for the initial few years just to pay back their debts.

Toby

Lots of these exploited people are able to make homes for their families, get them married and educated.

In this case, apparently not.

Here's the starting tweet of the thread:

We're not talking "regular" foreign workers here, in which they (have to) leave their homes to make a living and then they are actually able to provide for their families back home. That's the "regular" exploitation you're talking about and for which the stuff you say applies.
But Qatar is a ****show a level above that. They get stripped of their papers and can't leave, they don't get pay and some actually die. They can provide **** for their families. This is an absolute disgrace for football.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In this case, apparently not.

Here's the starting tweet of the thread:

We're not talking "regular" foreign workers here, in which they (have to) leave their homes to make a living and then they are actually able to provide for their families back home. That's the "regular" exploitation you're talking about and for which the stuff you say applies.
But Qatar is a ****show a level above that. They get stripped of their papers and can't leave, they don't get pay and some actually die. They can provide **** for their families. This is an absolute disgrace for football.
that is pretty sad reading. you seem to be right in this case. cannot make a case for this ****show. Pretty horrible circumstances really.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

"6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar as it gears up for World Cup"

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...grant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

Estimate is apparantly likely "to be an understimate". Perhaps it is hyperbolic, but it is hard not to claim that FIFA has blood on their hands. Qatar should never have been given the World Cup, and FIFA has failed on all accounts here.

Any company that advertises during the World Cup is culpable as well.

Toby

"6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar as it gears up for World Cup"

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...grant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

Estimate is apparantly likely "to be an understimate". Perhaps it is hyperbolic, but it is hard not to claim that FIFA has blood on their hands. Qatar should never have been given the World Cup, and FIFA has failed on all accounts here.

Any company that advertises during the World Cup is culpable as well.

Time to boycott this ****.

Top Bottom