Ex-Gunner Watch

Discussion in 'Arsenal History' started by Bossa, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

this man never forgets us

Jury, Ash10, Gooner416 and 5 others like this.
  2. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast CIES Loyalist

Two-time Arsenal double winner Gilles Grimandi is the new technical director at Nice -- which I think is very nice. Good luck Gilles!

3. baccy_man

baccy_man Active Member

Ash10, Mrs Bergkamp, krackpot and 5 others like this.
  4. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

And good luck Nice.

carlito'sway and Slartibartfast like this.
  5. carlito'sway

carlito'sway Established Member

Was about to post this as well. My favorite AFC player the last 10 years. Magical two footed talent.

6. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Tore his ****ing ACL a 3rd time sounds like.

Sad news. Hope he figures it all out in retirement.

Tir Na Nog and krackpot like this.
  7. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

very sad. Good fortune to him.

He looked so good when he broke through. Was good at Fulham too.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  8. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Ex-Troll

9. BaZZe

BaZZe Bitterswede

WAIT WAIT hold up, Frimmy played in the Swedish first league? Had no idea :rofl:, Eskilstuna is only an hour and a half from where I live as well! :lol: To think I missed an opportunity to be blessed by the Dench. :(

10. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

His career went downhill since these Dench stuff he had potential

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  11. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Was actually his torn ACL that messed him up. When he tore it a 2nd time in the same knee, he was never gonna play at the levels he could have had he not gotten injured. Same with Afobe - could have had a way different career were it not for 3 ACL injuries.

krengon, krackpot and yousif_arsenal like this.
  12. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

I didn't know this. I remember both breaking through and being so hopeful they'd make it here.

krackpot likes this.
  13. Slartibartfast

Bob Bradley's pep talk has turned Carlos Vela into Lionel Messi. Well, at least close enough for LAFC anyway...

Mudi, krackpot and Toby Andrl like this.
  14. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

Must be something Bradley does on the training ground, cause that talk was kinda cringey:lol:

Always like Vela, think he could've come good as an understudy/backup to van Persie. The MLS is gradually doing better now, but it's still a bit funny how some decent forward coming from Europe is turning into Messi. I mean Giovinco and Vela always had more in them than what they ended up doing in European leagues, but still.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  15. Slartibartfast

To be fair, Vela has some pretty good years at Real Sociedad. He scored 21 goals for them one season. And Giovinco was coming off a 16-goal season for Empoli when he moved. Both made the move when they were 28 years old, as well, so they were still in what would be their prime. But of course MLS just isn't the same level (although the games are entertaining and of an increasingly high quality).

It was difficult for Vela at Arsenal, largely because it took a couple of years before he could even get his work permit, so he had to be loaned out to Spain. Then he had some bad luck with injuries. I was sorry to see him leave, but completely understood his decision. I'm glad he's doing so well in MLS now. He's a lot of fun to watch.

16. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

Parlour supposed to be on the radio from 6am tomorrow morning :lol:

Jury and Slartibartfast like this.
  17. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory Moderator Moderator

MLS is getting better and better, but I really think increase in the overall level of attacking talent has outpaced the level of defenders and GKs. Which is why guys like Gio and Vela are able to do so well when the come in.

Toby Andrl likes this.
  18. Slartibartfast

I think that's true, largely because of the league's financial structure which is geared toward paying big money to stars or potential stars (who usually tend to be forwards or midfielders). There are some excellent goalkeepers in the league, such as Zack Steffen (who will be joining Manchester City in July) and the wonderful Jamaican Andre Blake, along with some older guys such as Howard and Guzan, but there's not the same death in quality as you get with some of the goalscorer and playmakers. Almost every team has some decent attacking players.

Same with defenders, really. The Red Bulls have a couple of good ones in center back Aaron Long and the speedy Jamaican Kemar Lawrence, which is why they had the best defense in the league last year. The defending champs, Atlanta United, have a couple of good ones in the Argentine center back Leandro Gonzalez Pirez and the German fullback Julian Gressel. LAFC has Walker Zimmerman. But again, not the same depth of quality the clubs have up front and in the midfield.

Toby Andrl and blaze_of_glory like this.
  19. Slartibartfast

By the way, for those who may have missed it, Gedion Zelalem became both an ex-Gunner and an MLS player today with his transfer to Sporting Kansas City. Hopefully this move with kickstart his career. Kid has some sublime talents, but it seemed like every time he began to make progress at Arsenal he had some sort of injury setback. His lack of physicality didn't help.

krackpot and blaze_of_glory like this.
  20. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

He wowed me during the preseasons when he broke through.

He was immediately hyped. Hope he has a great career

Slartibartfast likes this.