Ex-Gunner Watch

Is it wrong to still love Giroud

• Yes he’s no longer a gooner

• No he will always be a top man

Results are only viewable after voting.

Toby Andrl

Part Time Stuttgart Fan
Trusted
I did not know Wenger approached Sven though, the media always spun it like he was an unwelcome interference from the dictatorship Wenger was running.

Reading Wenger's book though, he always liked to bring "the best of class" to the club for their expertise and looking at Sven's career trajectory at the time it makes sense.

Also speaks for Wenger. I always maintained one of his biggest mistakes was not bringing fresh backroom and coaching staff once in a while like e.g. Ferguson did every now and then to support him with the challenges of modern football, divide some responsibility and infuse fresh ideas on the pitch. E.g. I haven't really thought it out in any coherent manner, but I think it's really no coincidence Wenger and his free flowing, expressive football got into trouble with the arrival of highly organized spacial defending and gegenpressing, minimizing space and time you got on the ball thus making it harder to play as expressive and defined by individual choice as Wenger wanted to. Also you do need a certain standard of quality player for such football and the increased transfer fees for such players did the rest. It's actually baffling Wenger kept pulling out relative bargains and made them work for such a long time before the market soured completely and every guy with two feet suddenly cost 20m. A fresh assistant versed in such tactics could've worked wonders during Wenger's later years imo.

Coming back to my first thought - if Wenger approached Mislintat to revamp and strengthen his transfer department that actually speaks against my initial thought of Wenger not trying to change it up with backroom staff.

Riou

A-M's Resident Jobber

France - Euros
Madrid - Champions League
Arsenal - Double
Chelsea -Double

...such a weird player Anelka...clearly a brilliant footballer, with a great career...but also "wasted potential", who never quite had the career he should have :lol:

dashsnow17

Sounds Like Hairspray
When fans talk about transfers they often assume the player has total power and can always choose exactly where they go, obviously that also happens, but sometimes the business is done above their head and professional footballers don't have total control of where their career takes them.

Hunta

Shivering Right Now
Trusted
When fans talk about transfers they often assume the player has total power and can always choose exactly where they go, obviously that also happens, but sometimes the business is done above their head and professional footballers don't have total control of where their career takes them.

Have to remember this was under the rule of that scummy bastard Raul. That’s how they do things in Spain.

kash2

Obsessed With Jury
We all know where's this going, right ?
jack is a real hero of mine. Flawed, foolish and immature ...growing up in the highest presssure at Arsenal, in a club under decline and turmoil, mocked by media, referees, fans alike...but he managed to survive it all... and still is on the field ...

some players you admire, some you revere.... but jack has always been loved by arsenal fans. He is one of us.

Riou

A-M's Resident Jobber
Jack Wilshere, a flawed talent...but I think that makes me love him even more, tbh.

You can say his career never took off the way it should, but Wilshere will always be a big part of the first Emirates era team to win a trophy for this club...proud to say that.

Good luck to him in the cup quarter final today!

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator
When I see how Foden has developed and carefully managed by Pep, I often think of Jack.

Foden has a lot of similarities that Jack had in that he plays with that swagger, chest-upfront confidence as he makes those runs. Their positions are not the same but Foden might turn into the star that we all hoped and expected Jack to become.

Riou

A-M's Resident Jobber
When I see how Foden has developed and carefully managed by Pep, I often think of Jack.

Foden has a lot of similarities that Jack had in that he plays with that swagger, chest-upfront confidence as he makes those runs. Their positions are not the same but Foden might turn into the star that we all hoped and expected Jack to become.

Foden doesn't play for Arsenal, so refs won't turn a blind eye when defenders dangerously hack him down, so he should develop fine for them.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes
Wilshere is right to be planning his next move as he won't have many years left at this rate, I'm sure he'll have plenty of regrets but it is what it is. Hopefully he can become a successful coach.

Hunta

Shivering Right Now
Trusted

Charlie Patino is a similar type, more of a 6 than both Foden and Wilshere but he carries it like both.