• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Sp**s are not particularly celebrating top four. It wasnt and never has been a trophy and also doesnt effect our prestige in the short term as things stand for me. We've just seemingly been programmed to believe it is the be all and end all by media and former management. A new manager, project and change at the club and hey presto we are attractive to players again. Hence Auba signing in Jan, nobody seriously thinks he was signed to benefit Wenger....?
I think Auba was signed in a desperate attempt to try and get into the Top Four.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I think Auba was signed in a desperate attempt to try and get into the Top Four.
Not on your life mate. Think the club had things planned out that far ahead with the backroom guys and this signing particularly was with the future in mind. Wenger didn't know how to get the best out of Auba, that much was clear with the tika taka in front of everyone's 10 outfield players. The guy still scored a hatful despite the management.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Not on your life mate. Think the club had things planned out that far ahead with the backroom guys and this signing particularly was with the future in mind. Wenger didn't know how to get the best out of Auba, that much was clear with the tika taka in front of everyone's 10 outfield players. The guy still scored a hatful despite the management.
Auba would score goals underwater. Whether Wenger wanted him or not I don't know but I believe the board (thankfully) panicked and pushed the purchase of Auba. If we had got back into the top four they would not have sought a change of manager and waited at least until the end of the contract.

shootxhakashoot

Auba would score goals underwater. Whether Wenger wanted him or not I don't know but I believe the board (thankfully) panicked and pushed the purchase of Auba. If we had got back into the top four they would not have sought a change of manager and waited at least until the end of the contract.
Yep exactly he would. You might be right there re top 4 and contract but he didnt despite Auba input (which is telling) and guess we'll never know and personally am quite glad that part of my days supporting Arsenal is over and we'll get to see this guy terrorising defences running at full pace. Was like going on safari and watching a cheetah hunting in a small fenced compound.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think top 4 a few years ago was very underwhelming as there was only 4 teams going for it, it meant we were the worst of the top clubs.

Now with 6 very strong sides competing for it top 4 is a far greater and significant achievement.

shootxhakashoot

I think top 4 a few years ago was very underwhelming as there was only 4 teams going for it, it meant we were the worst of the top clubs.

Now with 6 very strong sides competing for it top 4 is a far greater and significant achievement.
Years ago no one banged on about top four. It was talked about getting into Europe and it was a select few not the free for all its become nowadays with multiple tenuous ways of getting in. Our former manager started the media scrum and hyperbole about trophies. Mainly to spin out that he had been "achieving" new things at the club still. Well I suppose those who "can" just make s**t up to justify their existence.

Last edited:

shootxhakashoot

Oh and also if we finish 4th now we will still by definition be the worst in the top 4..... nothing has changed there apart from media hype about it.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Interesting poll tbh. Hard split between people who expect immediate success and people who just want to see things progressing.

Expecting top 4 is, to me, a bit too much, considering there are 4 teams clearly better than you right now. Getting a CL spot at the expense of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd or Man City would be a big achievement in his first season, which to me says it's a bonus and not something to be expected.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Just want to see attacking football.

No expectations at all in Emery’s first season.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Less optimistic now than when Emery got the job. Does not seem to be the financial backing to catch clubs ahead or even stay a head of chasing pack.

Assumed we would sign quality or multiple top prospects.

Would take 5th & a cup run.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Oh and also if we finish 4th now we will still by definition be the worst in the top 4..... nothing has changed there apart from media hype about it.

I do agree that the media make far much of the top 4 and the Champions League in general which is a pretty rubbish competition until the quarter finals.

Just pointing out that finishing 4th in a 6 horse race is a greater achievement than finishing 4th in a 4 horse race like it was 5 years ago before Liverpool and Sp**s improved significantly.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
The CL is important to players and helps to attract some of the better ones. We don't have CL next season but we do have a new manager who is well known and has won things. This gives any new signing hope that we will do well. This grace period is for one season only as another finish outside of the CL places or failing to win the EL makes us a lower tier club. We don't have Chelsea/City's money or the old days prestige of Liverpool and Utd. We only have London as a draw as do four other clubs! We need to rediscover Wengerball allied with a mean defence which will put us "up there" again as a club and with the new structure in place, maybe finally give us a chance of going further in Europe. We need to become desirable as a club again and the only way we do that,is to do well.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The amount of sudden changes in this club is insane, structure, players, manager/coaches, scouts, contract negotiators, medical staff . . all in a matter of months.

Expecting all that to gel in one go is asking a lot.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The amount of sudden changes in this club is insane, structure, players, manager/coaches, scouts, contract negotiators, medical staff . . all in a matter of months.

Expecting all that to gel in one go is asking a lot.
Didn't you expect this? I hear what you are saying and I also feel it is a mountain we're making but I think the club see this as a 'now or never' type change.

So ingrained in the culture of the club is Wenger that part of this transition process must be to reinvent the club on many levels. Huge task for sure but I think we've done well.

We'll see. Don't be so eager for us to fail.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I want us to be able to hold on to a 1 goal lead comfortably from 70th minute by playing smart and conservative.

I want our defense and midfield to be comfortable dealing with opponents high pressing.

I want us to not concede cheap goals early in the game or straight after the 15min break.

I want our defenders to not fall / trip / get shoved aside in most duels.

I want us to be able to read the game and adapt our strategy to counter opponents.

If we face vastly superior opposition I want us to not collapse losing with big numbers after persisting playing headless chicken attack, but to be able to minimize damage and possibly grind out a draw.

The above will probably come at the cost of pretty fast flowing Wenger ball attacks, which is a shame for the beauty of the game, but if it means us getting results and opponents dreading to face us rather then them waiting for the Arsenal game to end their 6 game losing streak then I'll take it anyday.

Probably too much to ask for one season though.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Don't be so eager for us to fail.
Never once have I wanted us to fail, or posted anything like it. People just keep continually projecting this on to me on AM as if it’s expected.

My grandad was born in North London not far from Highbury and later moved to Westover Rd in Wandsworth. My dad was born in Wandsworth and I was born in Manchester, but we were infected by my grandad.

My family supported Arsenal long before Wenger and we’ll continue long after.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Never once have I wanted us to fail, or posted anything like it. People just keep continually projecting this on to me on AM as if it’s expected.

My grandad was born in North London not far from Highbury and later moved to Westover Rd in Wandsworth. My dad was born in Wandsworth and I was born in Manchester, but we were infected by my grandad.

My family supported Arsenal long before Wenger and we’ll continue long after.
Sorry Trax, pretty difficult to spot in that post of mine but I was being facestious and meant no harm.
I was 'infected' by my uncle but we missed my brother. Any tips to convert a lost soul who landed up being a Pool fan?

Top Bottom