• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheArsenalis

I would LIKE top 4, but I think that is unrealistic. I EXPECT (as a bare minimum) to see improvement in the performances, particularly the defensive solidarity of the team.
As poor as we were last season i dont think top 4 is out of reach. A simple act as cutting the avoidable stupidity that took place would save 20 points.

What might be out of reach maybe the title. I'm not writing it off but i think emeri might need a season with these guys to know what else he needs.

TheArsenalis

Tangible goals:
-Top 5 (am expecting to surpass Chelsea this year, considering their situation) with a top 4 challenge & better away record than last season’s embarrassment
-SF+* in EL (given Emery’s track record in the competition)
-QF+* in FA Cup & League Cup

*depends on draw, but generally expecting to reach those targets

Intangible goals:
-Identity (development of a clear and defined style of play)
-Adjustments (tactical adjustments pregame & during the match, not making subs for the sake of it, being quick to realize what is working and what is not and not being afraid to make tough decisions)
-Character (no mental collapses and ****ting the bed, goes in hand in hand with the next point)
-Defensive stability and cohesion
-Consistency as the season progresses
-Continuing integration and development of our youth (looking forward to bigger roles for the likes of AMN and a step up from Iwobi)

Thought I was asking for too much, but on reflection, don’t think improvements in the aforementioned areas are unreasonable. If not possible by this season, definitive improvements is a must next season.
You should post more often. Very sensible

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
I think people are being too eager to relieve pressure off the new manager, as if they expect him to fail. Top four should be minimum expectation. Just as it was for Liverpool and even Tottenham to a lesser degree when they were out of it.
Now I'm not suggesting we fire him if we barely miss out on it, but presumably we replaced Wenger because he had massively underachieved result wise with this team, it's up to the new manager to get them to play to their potential and I think if he does we have more than enough to be aiming higher than just competing for top four personally.

Yeah spot on! Anything other than top 4 or trophies is a disappointing season.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
You should post more often. Very sensible
Thanks. I prefer being a lurker and reading the thoughts of others more, but dont mind posting if I feel I have something to contribute.

Even though I set a top 5 goal, I’m cautiously optimistic of securing top 4 this season. However, it’s Emery’s first season in charge in a new league, so improving on last season would be a start, which is why I think top 5 is acceptable. Even Pep went trophyless in his first season at City with much greater backing.

Title challenge would be a dream at this point, with City seemingly so far ahead and only getting stronger given their dealings in the market this summer. Honestly though, if we have some semblance of defensive solidity, that should improve us a decent amount of points. Improvements in the intangible areas (which is the result of good coaching) will improve our tangible results.

say yes

forum master baiter
It's like this forum has an auto correct on words that try to provide any nuance like 'some'.

I read a lot of well constructed arguments from some people who feel that some performance displays under Emery are not all overwhelming, what I agree with 100%. At the same time there have been matches where we enjoyed spells of amazing football closely resembling Wengerball so there is promise in that.

I also read how some people point out that Klopp, Pep and Conte had difficulty imposing their game plan and achieving results in their first season(s). They even use data to back up their claim. They realize that imposing a certain playstyle does not necessarily coincide with achieving results (Sarri anyone?), let alone trying to do so while hardly being able to spend any money.

Then there is the handling of Mesut Özil, a player I love on his day and someone I think can play a role for Arsenal now and in the future, if he adapts and if we accomodate for him. I doubt it's Emery generally disliking the player and there has been 'evidence' floating about of possible reasons why he doesn't feature as much this season. 1. He needs to adapt to Emery's mentality. 2. The board no longer feels he justifies his wages and forces Emery's hand. 3. He has actual injuries and has been sick.
I believe there is truth in all three yet some people choose to only blame the manager.

I am by no means saying Emery is doing a perfect job, but results wise he is performing as I would have hoped (purely looking at improving some players, competing for EL and our position in the table).

Playstyle wise it's a different thing. I see this season as a get back into CL by all means season and am willing (along with some other people) to sit through games where we barely scrape a result.

If you even try to use injuries, chaos at the helm of this club, financial restrictions, contract situations, some terrible weak spots in our squad, it being a first season in a new league and replacing a 22 year old regime as possible reasons for why the displayed performances might not be blowing teams out of the water or why the playstyle may not be as defined as we all want it to be, you get death threats in PM (I don't check my PM, but I'm sure they are there waiting for me). For me, if he achieves his target of CL qualification he has overperformed on my expectations.

Next season Emery hopefully has the funds to acquire whatever he deems necessary to push on to better things, whether that means going for a trophy or embedding a more clearly defined playstyle while maintaining that CL spot (or pushing on in that competition).

Agree with every word however I am somewhat confused at how this ended up in the wrong Emery thread :p

blaze_of_glory

Actually a good bump I think. Might be worth revisiting what people said back in the spring/summer

Top four or win EL, preferably both.

He can still achieve both of these things, so fair play. Would add now just trying to play with an attractive, ambitious style more consistently. Never even considered aesthetics all those months ago but I'll add that to my expectations for next year.

CanadianGooner1608

My expectations, regardless of PL rankings are as follow:

- Keep playing attacking, pressing football, the kind that made me fall in love with Arsenal.
- Make it so we concede significally less than 51 goal during the season
- Make us look like an organized unit with a plan (whether we win or lose)
- Develop some of our young ones. I'm particularly excited by what could be done with AMN, Nelson, Mavropanos, and maybe Nketiah in a first team setting.
- Get us back into Champion's League (by way of Europa or PL, I don't care), but I'd be willing to give him a year to get settled before getting impatient.
- Make us competitive in domestic cups, and look dangerous in PL. I want Utd, Sp**s, Chelsea, Pool, and City at least worried to play us.

Don't know if it's unrealistic, but that's what I'm hoping for.

So far so good, except for the "beautiful attacking football" part, although we saw some really really good football inconsistently. Still believe we're in for goal of the season with either the Ramsey goal at Fulham or the Özil goal at Leicester (I think it was Leicester)

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

CL, PL and FA Cup treble.

Disappointed he hasn’t met my modest expectations tbh.

Top 4 for me. I honestly think we’ve got the third best squad in the league.

We definitely need to strengthen in goal and defence but PEA, Özil, Mkhi, Ramsey, Lacazette is a ridiculous amount of fire power up top.

I think Chelsea aren’t that special as we’ve seen and Sp**s and Pool are overly reliant on one or two players. Target has to be getting in front of at least two of those.

As for the EL you never know if one of the big boys will drop in from the CL in January but with Emery’s pedigree I’d want at least final 4 again.

In terms of overall play, more solidity and smarter decision making in big games. Pressing game flagged badly towards the end under Arséne. We were good at a low block but pressing out of our half was often substandard.

Adapting a unified press in some games and a good low block with quick counters will really see us come on leaps and bounds imo.

So in all we’ve got a great manager, maybe the best available and it’s an exciting time.

Hopefully he can give direction to the likes of Bellerin, Xhaka and Iwobi and work with the youth talents we’ve got about to break through. COYG

Interestingly Unai has done a few of these for me, we’re better in big games, rarely get blown out aside from Anfield.

I thought Chelsea were overrated but didn’t see Sp**s and Pool kicking on as they have or Utd completely going off the boil.

Also I thought with quick counters we could really do well which we did for the first half of the season at least. Strayed from that a lot after Christmas and our play style has been more muddled since then.

In terms of player development, I think Bellerin has improved massively but there hasn’t been much noticeable improvement from the others he inherited.

All in all for my expectations he gets a B- so far.

Last edited:

Hexagon9

Interestingly Unai has done a few of these for me, we’re better in big games, rarely get blown out aside from Anfield.

I thought Chelsea were overrated but didn’t see Sp**s and Pool kicking on as they have or Utd completely going off the boil.

Also I thought with quick counters we could really do well which we did for the first half of the season at least. Strayed from that a lot after Christmas and our play style has been more muddled since then.

In terms of player development, I think Bellerin has improved massively but there hasn’t been much noticeable improvement from the others he inherited.

Do you still think we have the third best squad in the league? I have to say I beg to differ.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Do you still think we have the third best squad in the league? I have to say I beg to differ.

Yes that’s another point I was wrong on, there’s a clear gap between City, Liverpool, Utd then us.

It’s close with Sp**s but I’d say we’re better equipped than Chelsea.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Reckon my parents would have been proper chuffed if I achieved a B- anywhere

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yes that’s another point I was wrong on, there’s a clear gap between City, Liverpool, Utd then us.

It’s close with Sp**s but I’d say we’re better equipped than Chelsea.

I think we quite comfortably have the 6th best squad in the league. Chelsea may look poor currently, but on paper they have a better squad. I just don't think Sarri is getting the best out of them with the style of play he wants to implement.

We have a real shot at top four. A lot hinges on what we do in our 6 pointers and what they do around us. The minimum is a draw vs Sp**s and a win Vs United. Anything less than that and it isn't in our hands.

If our next three fixtures are WDW. We are in a fantastic position. A loss vs United would be a major dent.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think we quite comfortably have the 6th best squad in the league. Chelsea may look poor currently, but on paper they have a better squad. I just don't think Sarri is getting the best out of them with the style of play he wants to implement.

We have a real shot at top four. A lot hinges on what we do in our 6 pointers and what they do around us. The minimum is a draw vs Sp**s and a win Vs United. Anything less than that and it isn't in our hands.

If our next three fixtures are WDW. We are in a fantastic position. A loss vs United would be a major dent.

Chelsea have about one decent defender. Midfield aside from Kante is embarrassingly pedestrian.

Their success or failure completely depends on Hazard. If he doesn’t do anything they’re f*cked.

They’re injured right now but we have a lot of quality squad players.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Poor football for the most part and gone backwards as the season wore on. Not encouraging signs going into the summer.

Top Bottom