• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
It all depends on a few results. Win the Palace game or yesterday's game, and everyone would say that's it's a 7/10 for his first season..

Now unfortunately it's not good enough. But he deserves another year at least.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

10% of people thought we'd be competing for the title.... this forum cracks me up. :rofl:

Haha I was one of them! I was blinded by Wenger's lack of preparation, I wayyyyy overrated the impact of this + I also thought Özil and Auba were going to strike up a dynamite partnership :(

blaze_of_glory

There are lots of areas where we’ve improved statistically (e.g. points).

The thing that is keeping me most optimistic however is our improved performances against the big teams.
We did do well in some big games, it's true. Not enough for me to be optimistic at this point though considering everything else.

We'll see how we get on next year I guess.

blaze_of_glory

If we played football that was somewhat fun to watch I'd be so much more forgiving at this stage. The style of play is tough to take when the results aren't any better than previously.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
A wee bit of revision re Wenger is fair. It was widely agreed that he wasn't getting anything near the most out of the squad. That it was a squad, although imperfect, with good quality and just a bit of organisation would work wonders.

Well it didn't. Wenger was getting out of the squad pretty much what the squad was, as has Emery.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
A wee bit of revision re Wenger is fair. It was widely agreed that he wasn't getting anything near the most out of the squad. That it was a squad, although imperfect, with good quality and just a bit of organisation would work wonders.

Well it didn't. Wenger was getting out of the squad pretty much what the squad was, as has Emery.

I think we almost were all guilty to think that this squad was better than it really was.

2 successful manager have failed to get any better from this squad, so maybe the squad is the real issue here.

Emery won't be in charge of rebuilding our squad since he's the head coach, not the manager and he's never been really involved into recruiting.

Edu/Sanheli are the one who are going to rebuild our squad.

gunnergoa

If he wasn't our first choice then I do not know why he was signed ,but then again our first choice was Arteta . I am done with this it's time to take the paint to the banner. Sack him ! and get Murinho I say if you want to win then get a winner.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

We got more points, went unbeaten for a very long period and got to a final. We DID look better organised, particularly against the better sides. Emery done better than Wengers last season. That's factual. People expected too much. I suspect it's because they were staunch Wengerites for so long, but either way, he's gone.

Jae

We've been bottling it for years, particularly during the later Wenger years, we famously bottled the league in 15/16, but apparently this a new thing and it's all Emery's fault. :lol:

Jae

Whilst I'm at it, the atrocious 2011 FA Cup Final loss to Birmingham City who got relegated that season still stings.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We got more points, went unbeaten for a very long period and got to a final. We DID look better organised, particularly against the better sides. Emery done better than Wengers last season. That's factual. People expected too much. I suspect it's because they were staunch Wengerites for so long, but either way, he's gone.
Nope, ain't buying it, mate. We went out to Atletico (2-1?) last time when we had half of this squad. Wenger would have beaten Atletico with this squad

The only thing I would say in Emery 's defense is the injuries.

In a way, it is better that it ended like this. Now we know where we are

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We've been bottling it for years, particularly during the later Wenger years, we famously bottled the league in 15/16, but apparently this a new thing and it's all Emery's fault. :lol:
bottling the league in 15? We were never in it. Wenger never bottled the league except 2007 when Henry left and Eduardo got injured.

Apparently, there's a difference between bottling a league by losing to united and Chelski , and bottling 3rd place by losing to crystal palace.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Up until yesterday I wouldn’t have minded him staying another season to see if he could make his mark but the manner of yesterdays implosion has changed my mind. Not the person to bring us forward.
Come to think of it, I think somehow this season felt worse than last and last season was the worst I have experienced as an Arsenal supporter. Its just going to get worse isn't it :(

Check

Well, if someone told me at the start of the season that we would be competing for top four until the last day of the season and reach the EL-final, I would've thought Emery had a good season. However, I'm quite disappointed how we bottled the league. An easy win against Brighton at home would've done it. An EL-final against Chelsea is a match that can be lost (Still disappointed how we lost it, but we have to admit that Chelsea is a decent side as an opponent in an EL-final).

Still think injuries played a huge part as well. Holding and Bellerin were very good before their injuries. Without those two injuries I think we would've played the whole season with 4-2-3-1, like we did before their injuries.

I'm willing to give Emery one more season. If he doesn't make the CL, he has to go. Hope we will look at club legends like Vieira, who did quite well at Nice (especially defensively).

roz

Fake News Merchant
Well, if someone told me at the start of the season that we would be competing for top four until the last day of the season and reach the EL-final, I would've thought Emery had a good season. However, I'm quite disappointed how we bottled the league. An easy win against Brighton at home would've done it. An EL-final against Chelsea is a match that can be lost (Still disappointed how we lost it, but we have to admit that Chelsea is a decent side as an opponent in an EL-final).

Still think injuries played a huge part as well. Holding and Bellerin were very good before their injuries. Without those two injuries I think we would've played the whole season with 4-2-3-1, like we did before their injuries.

I'm willing to give Emery one more season. If he doesn't make the CL, he has to go. Hope we will look at club legends like Vieira, who did quite well at Nice (especially defensively).
Injuries always play a huge part though no? Thats what being a top manager is all about. As you said the way we bottled the run in and the way we capitulated last night perhaps shows that he isn't the man to take us forward.

Check

Injuries always play a huge part though no? Thats what being a top manager is all about. As you said the way we bottled the run in and the way we capitulated last night perhaps shows that he isn't the man to take us forward.

Agree about the fact that injuries always play a role, but two season ending injuries in december and january at two positions where our back-ups aren't good enough, is very unlucky to say the least.

The run-in and last night maybe shows that he isn't our guy. But on the other side, 22 games unbeaten earlier in the season and the way we presented ourselves against the topteams, in the league and Europe (Valencia and Napoli) perhaps shows that he is our guy. That's why I'm willing to give him one more season. If he can fix especially the away form next season with a squad of his own, then we have to give him credits for it. If he doesn't deliver with his own squad, he has to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom