• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
It’s not ‘expectations’, it’s all about spend bro.

Spending 5th and hoping for top 4 is the reason Arséne got into this mess.

Kroenke needs to pull his wallet out and give the new boy a chance.

Well, we'll see how the summer goes. But there's a difference between spending to keep up with City and spending to keep up with Sp**s and Liverpool. Arsenal can't keep up with City in terms of spending. Thankfully, league position rarely coincides exactly with spending. It's a factor, but it's not the only one. There's such a thing as spending wisely. Arsenal did that in January, swapping Alexis for what proved to be an upgrade (at least for Arsenal) in Micki, getting Aubameyang at a bargain price and identifying a talented young center back in Mavrapanos. This summer, they need to reinforce the defensive end, but they don't have to spend £300 million to have a top 4 team. There's plenty of talent there already, including some young guys who should be ready to contribute.

I view the 2017-18 season as more of an aberration. Alexis really hurt the team a lot with his attitude and selfishness. Lacazette was a much better player without him (he and Aubameyang were fantastic together late on). Auba and Micki will be here for the whole season. It seems as though the intent is to reinforce the defensive end. And a huge factor may be that the toxic atmosphere created by a particularly loud segment of the fan base over the past 2 or 3 seasons has been lifted. All that negativity had to have had an effect on the squad. Even if they managed to avoid it on social media, they couldn't miss it in the stadium.

Now we just need to trust Unai Emery to build on the foundation Arsène Wenger has left him. It seems he has a plan. My plan is to trust him.

Jae

I just want to see the performances and away form improve more than anything.

If the team starts playing better and I can see that players are giving 100% commitment, we are building towards something and we are clearly making progress then I'm not fussed if we finish outside the top 4.

I'm not bothered if we don't win every game as long as he makes us harder to beat and we stop conceding soft goals, making stupid mistakes and getting embarrassed by the other big clubs.

Dj_sds -

I'm not saying we should give up. You're inventing your own narrative here. I'm saying in terms of expectations we shouldn't be expecting top 4 if we spend less then 4 or more sides above us.

Yeah, in a game of football it's possible to beat a better side. That's not debatable here. Heck it's possible to overachieve over a short period, but put it this way Emery's job shouldn't be on the line if we finish below 4th after spending less than sides who've finished ahead of us.

Emery should be given the chance i agree. Wouldnt want him gone if we dont make top 4, but arsenal has a capable team and getting in the top 4 is still realistic even if others spend more.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
I'm not saying we should give up. You're inventing your own narrative here. I'm saying in terms of expectations we shouldn't be expecting top 4 if we spend less then 4 or more sides above us.

Yeah, in a game of football it's possible to beat a better side. That's not debatable here. Heck it's possible to overachieve over a short period, but put it this way Emery's job shouldn't be on the line if we finish below 4th after spending less than sides who've finished ahead of us.

I don't think anyone thinks Emery should be under threat just for failing to get top 4.. You then look at the whole picture(point total, performance in the cups/big games, player development etc) to see if he's taking us in the right direction.. A season similar or worse to this one would be really poor from Emery and his job will naturally come under scrutiny, but if we show improvement across the board I'm pretty sure most will be positive even if we fail to meet expectations this season..

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Not sure anyone has mentioned belief in all this if we are doing descriptive word brainstorm. There are some that still believe the chuckle brothers defending and dog s**t football in terms of competitiveness of the last few years has been worthy of a club the size of Arsenal.
The expectation in that situation ater such a long time should be change and we have finally got it. That's a good thing and I for one am celebrating. I think expecting top four is pushing it considering the mess wenger has left. Maybe after after a couple of years of squad trming and restoring that would be reasonable. I hope for a top four finish a run in Europa and better. Mostly I just expect a change in style and less tactical arrogance from our new manager. I think we will see that with emery in charge.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Well, we'll see how the summer goes. But there's a difference between spending to keep up with City and spending to keep up with Sp**s and Liverpool. Arsenal can't keep up with City in terms of spending. Thankfully, league position rarely coincides exactly with spending. It's a factor, but it's not the only one. There's such a thing as spending wisely. Arsenal did that in January, swapping Alexis for what proved to be an upgrade (at least for Arsenal) in Micki, getting Aubameyang at a bargain price and identifying a talented young center back in Mavrapanos. This summer, they need to reinforce the defensive end, but they don't have to spend £300 million to have a top 4 team. There's plenty of talent there already, including some young guys who should be ready to contribute.

I view the 2017-18 season as more of an aberration. Alexis really hurt the team a lot with his attitude and selfishness. Lacazette was a much better player without him (he and Aubameyang were fantastic together late on). Auba and Micki will be here for the whole season. It seems as though the intent is to reinforce the defensive end. And a huge factor may be that the toxic atmosphere created by a particularly loud segment of the fan base over the past 2 or 3 seasons has been lifted. All that negativity had to have had an effect on the squad. Even if they managed to avoid it on social media, they couldn't miss it in the stadium.

Now we just need to trust Unai Emery to build on the foundation Arséne Wenger has left him. It seems he has a plan. My plan is to trust him.
It’s fine margins at top level football, and you can’t afford any weak areas or you’ll get punished. Liverpool found that out last night.

But nevertheless City, United, Sp**s and Chelsea have fewer weaknesses than us and probably deeper squads. Liverpool have strengthened greatly and still have money to plug the last couple of holes, goalkeeer the main one.

We need the money for top quality CB, DM and goalkeeper. Then Emery might stand a chance of top 4.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Getting back into the CL is the ultimate goal, either through top 4 or EL.

I expect a better challenge for top 4. I won't consider not getting it a failure as the league's very competitive right now, but we should be closer.

Tactically I expect to see a more organised defence, and a more cohesive defence/midfield that doesn't leave so much space to be exposed. I also want to see more direct play and risk taking in our attacking play, we've become very bland and cautious in our passing in recent years.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
We’re good enough to win any domestic cup.

For me, we need our place back among Europe’s elite. I am looking forward to Emery playing in a competition he’s dominated recently, but we’re Arsenal, we need CL footy back.

I want to see us continue playing football in the Arsenal way but with slight differences. I want to see more intensity without the ball, I want our players to play with freedom but also within a structure.

I want to see some of our players reach new levels. The obvious names, Bellerin, AMN, Dinos etc. But I also want to see the likes of Xhaka and Kolasinac play under different management.

Emery has been a success wherever he’s been. Including PSG, where he won the treble, more than Ancelotti managed- a guy who a few wanted to see come here.

We have a good squad in need of fine tuning, we need to trust Emery to get it right.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
wishful ...toxics wont just disappear
You clearly hope that's the case. Because why anyone would think the atmosphere wouldn't or shouldn't change for the better is bewildering. I mean, ffs, it changed immediately after it was announced Wenger was leaving.

Ironically, fans like you, if you were within 5,000 miles of the stadium, would be most toxic. Just as well you're not.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
It’s fine margins at top level football, and you can’t afford any weak areas or you’ll get punished. Liverpool found that out last night.

But nevertheless City, United, Sp**s and Chelsea have fewer weaknesses than us and probably deeper squads. Liverpool have strengthened greatly and still have money to plug the last couple of holes, goalkeeer the main one.

We need the money for top quality CB, DM and goalkeeper. Then Emery might stand a chance of top 4.

Liverpool's net spending over the summer 2017/winter 2018 windows was £10 million. Sp**s spent £14.8 million. I think that's certainly within Arsenal's reach. In fact, Chelsea's £68.1 million is certainly well within reach if Arsenal's budget is £70 million plus money from outgoing transfers. I suppose relative weaknesses and depth are debatable, but I don't see any of those squads as being particularly more well-stocked than Arsenal. The money is there to bring in quality players at DB, DM and GK. Not every player has to be a £100 million galactico.

While it's true that it's difficult for a club on a budget to keep up with the ridiculous spenders such as City, it's just not as simple as tallying up spending and predicting the league table. West Brom spent £44.2 million in the two transfer windows and went down. Everton was the 3rd highest-spending team at £84.3 million and finished 8th. You're taking the squad cost thing a bit too far. There's a general relationship, but not such a rigid one.

morpho

Established Member
If he gets us to the CL either way, Im fine. As long as he gets my blood pumping of course, for the right reasons. I want to be entertained. And see that we have the ability to learn from our mistakes.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
its the off season.

That didn't keep things from being toxic last offseason. Or the offseason before that. The "Wenger Out" crowd screamed and kicked their feet, *****ing and moaning about transfers and calling for Wenger's head all summer. It wasn't in the stadium because there were no games, but it was all around us.

Don't be like them.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Its the loser mentality wenger has instilled in this club. Some people in here are really amusing. A club of arsenals stature should be challenging for titles. People talking about top 4 being too much to ask, gtfo. 10 more years of wenger and these same people would talk about how not getting relegated is an achievement for arsenal. Arsenal is and always will be a big club and if fans dont see it that way why the **** would others, sickening.
A club of arsenals stature should be challenging for titles? Arsenal isn’t the arsenal you remembered anymore. Do you really think we now have a title challenging squad, or anything close to what we used to have 15 years ago?

And it’s not loser mentality, it’s about being realistic. If all city’s first team players lost their legs in a car accident just after the transfer window closed, the most rational expectation for them is to fight against relegation next season. It’s has nothing to do with club stature, or what they’ve achieved in the past. Being realistic is to look at what you have, and make the most logical prediction.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
That didn't keep things from being toxic last offseason. Or the offseason before that. The "Wenger Out" crowd screamed and kicked their feet, *****ing and moaning about transfers and calling for Wenger's head all summer. It wasn't in the stadium because there were no games, but it was all around us.

Don't be like them.

it was hardly toxic.. at this time last season, we were basking in the glow of an FA cup win...life was nice...the sun was shining....the toxics had been shown their place, and gazidis was kneeling before wenger with a contract. After that they were pretty much left to whine and moan..and do silent empty seat protests in meaningless games..

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
A club of arsenals stature should be challenging for titles? Arsenal isn’t the arsenal you remembered anymore. Do you really think we now have a title challenging squad, or anything close to what we used to have 15 years ago?

And it’s not loser mentality, it’s about being realistic. If all city’s first team players lost their legs in a car accident just after the transfer window closed, the most rational expectation for them is to fight against relegation next season. It’s has nothing to do with club stature, or what they’ve achieved in the past. Being realistic is to look at what you have, and make the most logical prediction.

I agree it's unrealistic to expect Arsenal to challenge City for the title next season. It's every bit as unrealistic to think a top 4 finish is an unrealistic expectation.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
it was hardly toxic.. at this time last season, we were basking in the glow of an FA cup win...life was nice...the sun was shining....the toxics had been shown their place, and gazidis was kneeling before wenger with a contract. After that they were pretty much left to whine and moan..and do silent empty seat protests in meaningless games..

That's a very selective memory you have there.

Top Bottom