• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA: Arsenal vs Manchester United | 03/04/04

Adam

Established Member
It is only because it is Man United we are truly dissapointed - this is the same competition we won last year but did not acknowlegde as being a success.

If we had played and lost to Sheffield United (who probably played better than United did today against us last year) then users wouldn't be so
low.

We still have more important things to worry about, and when the season started - i didn't expect to win the FA Cup again, and was just satisfied with the Premiership. United may finally get their joy in the cup after some bad years - fair play to them, but now, and inevitably - we have bigger fish to fry.

reggiepaul

That's true, Adam it is because it's United but in many ways were trying to be some saviours of football too. We're the best in the country, no doubts, but we're admired as well for our football and ethic while United are hated for destroying the game, burdening not only the UK but the world Footballing industry as well as producing psycho looney irishman Roy Keane.

We're still the best, they know it.

thegame24

Established Member
No adam its the fact that we were cheated, and we lost to a team we should be whipping. Also the treble was on, and they injure 2 players!!!!

reggiepaul

Ljungbergfan said:
Did anyone from the arsenal camp give an interview after the match?

Yeah, Vieira came to the BBC reporter with some scissors, clipping away saying "Barber, your balls are mine!!!"

IW8

reggiepaul said:
Ljungbergfan said:
Did anyone from the arsenal camp give an interview after the match?
Yeah, Vieira came to the BBC reporter with some scissors, clipping away saying "Barber, your balls are mine!!!"

You're on form today Reggie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JGooner

Greatest team ever? The **** we are.

Campbell, Toure, Clichy, and Reyes did their jobs today. The rest were either poor or an outright disgrace.

Firstly, it was – as everyone here appears to agree – ridiculous to start Aliadiere. I can understand resting Henry, but Henry AND Reyes? Replaced by an unproven kid? In a semi final? Against Manchester United? Insane. But that was Wenger’s only mistake. The overwhelming burden of blame is with the players:

Lehmann – When is this man going to grow up? If screwing up his kicks isn’t bad enough, he also goes out of his way to get involved in scraps with other players. The push on Ronaldo was the most pointless and unprovoked offence he has ever committed. He doesn’t seem to comprehend that these stupid bookings not only cost us suspensions, but disrupt the flow of our play and add pressure to our defence. I hope Graham Stack is as good as he is supposed to be, because, although Lehmann is a talented keeper, I don’t want a total headcase guarding our goal for much longer.

Lauren – Not as bad as he usually is, but he is clearly a weak link in the side. There was a moment in the second half when he passed the ball straight to a Manure midfielder and I thought “Yup, it’s over”. Treble-winning teams cannot afford to carry first team regulars whose distribution is as erratic as Lauren’s.

Edu – Quite simply the single worst performance I have seen from an Arsenal player this season. Worse than any of Gilberto’s many, many footballing atrocities. Only Lauren against Sp**s at home comes close. His passing seemed to have a 0% success rate today. His shot at goal when Reyes flicked the ball to him was an embarrassing joke. Worse, he didn’t even care – he just grinned like Pires and Wiltord do, as if the whole thing is a casual hobby to them. Truly atrocious performance. 0 out of 10.

Pires – What the ****? At least Lauren and Edu have the excuse that they are not much better than average footballers, but Robert Pires is the most technically proficient player in the country (including Henry). He should be physically incapable of this level of incompetence. And I mean incompetence. It wasn’t simply that he didn’t give a flying **** all afternoon (although that was true as well) but that he made so many mistakes: crap passes, miscontrol, failure to beat his man, and that missed header from Bergkamp’s cross. Again, he didn’t seem to care much. He looked gloomy on the bench but that was probably because of his scraps with Keane, Solksjaer, etc.

Ljungberg - Lots of running around. Totally ineffectual.

Bergkamp – Good in the first 10 mins, crap thereafter. By the last 20 mins, he was passing like Edu.

Vieira – Good in the first 30 mins, mediocre thereafter. Gave away foul after foul, which disrupted our flow and allowed the clock to pass time.

Henry – I know he was only for half an hour, but why did he even bother? I’m as big a fan of him as anyone, but his posing and preening is irritating when we’re trying to save the game. He likes to think of himself as the ultimate team player, and most of the time he is. But there are still occasions when his first concern is looking cool.

This was a big game, and none of our big players. They lacked hunger, which is why it reminded me so much of the league game against Manure at OT in December 2002. They also lacked basic competence. When was the last time we passed the ball so poorly?

If we win the league, then it will be easy to forget about today or at least look upon it as an isolated occurence in which we simply played ****e. But Chelsea are only 4 points behind us now, and our game in hand is no walkover (Liverpool). Today's game - just like last week's capitulation - may represent the beginning of a loss of form. Reyes and Ljungberg are out for most of the rest of the season. As Lewdikris wrote recently, this group of players simply will not be able to recover if we fail to win the league this season. Right now, I am more concerned about next weekend's league games than Tuesday's CL game.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Once again..we are too hard on players. I think Viera besides the complainign was the man for us today!!!He kept on going the whole time. You guy have to realise that they had 5 guys in the midfield. Since PIres was almost non-existence today...Viera and Edu simply had too much pressure on them. This restricted their movement forward..and once again in that case we usually rely on Pires to provide support to the guys upfront..and he simply wasn't there today. Ali just had a bad game..had nothign to do with him not being ready for the "big occassion".
I am really impressed with Reyes..and very disappointd that he is injured. He gives us a whole new dimension to our attack.
Well we will recover guys!!!!!We got the team and the coach to take us there!!!!

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Just back.

****ety ****ety ****ety **** **** **** ****....

I am so pissed off with our performance, with the result, with the Ref with Manure and their scummy triumphalist supporters.

Bottom line; we should have been 2 up after 10. We had how many chances? We didn't score. They had one half chance (good take from Scoles) & scored. We never looked like scoring second half. Don't remember a single decent shot. Big time players didn't show; Wenger got it badly wrong with Aliadiaere; he wasn't up to match speed. Should have played Henry from the start; I've been saying this for weeks; success builds it's own momentum.

I'm cerain we'll win the Prem but we'll have to seriously raise our game for Tuesday.

Oh, Exiled, I looked for you but couldn't see you anywhere! Which row were you in?

A

Anonymous

as i said before we need a natural world class striker that can gets us gabbage goals.

we hav'nt got one. until wenger starts to get a decent striker, then we might have a chance.

wenger is so predictable now and the rest of the league has suss him out

when the going gets rough, he brings on kanu. what in this gods earth this elephant **** ever done for us. - nothing

if everyone is down now. just wait for tueday! :angel

thegame24

Established Member
wenger is so predictable now and the rest of the league has suss him out

LoL

and thats why we are unbeaten in the league?

A

Anonymous

JGooner said:
Greatest team ever? The f**k we are.

Campbell, Toure, Clichy, and Reyes did their jobs today. The rest were either poor or an outright disgrace.

Firstly, it was – as everyone here appears to agree – ridiculous to start Aliadiere. I can understand resting Henry, but Henry AND Reyes? Replaced by an unproven kid? In a semi final? Against Manchester United? Insane. But that was Wenger’s only mistake. The overwhelming burden of blame is with the players:

Lehmann – When is this man going to grow up? If screwing up his kicks isn’t bad enough, he also goes out of his way to get involved in scraps with other players. The push on Ronaldo was the most pointless and unprovoked offence he has ever committed. He doesn’t seem to comprehend that these stupid bookings not only cost us suspensions, but disrupt the flow of our play and add pressure to our defence. I hope Graham Stack is as good as he is supposed to be, because, although Lehmann is a talented keeper, I don’t want a total headcase guarding our goal for much longer.

Lauren – Not as bad as he usually is, but he is clearly a weak link in the side. There was a moment in the second half when he passed the ball straight to a Manure midfielder and I thought “Yup, it’s over”. Treble-winning teams cannot afford to carry first team regulars whose distribution is as erratic as Lauren’s.

Edu – Quite simply the single worst performance I have seen from an Arsenal player this season. Worse than any of Gilberto’s many, many footballing atrocities. Only Lauren against Sp**s at home comes close. His passing seemed to have a 0% success rate today. His shot at goal when Reyes flicked the ball to him was an embarrassing joke. Worse, he didn’t even care – he just grinned like Pires and Wiltord do, as if the whole thing is a casual hobby to them. Truly atrocious performance. 0 out of 10.

Pires – What the f**k? At least Lauren and Edu have the excuse that they are not much better than average footballers, but Robert Pires is the most technically proficient player in the country (including Henry). He should be physically incapable of this level of incompetence. And I mean incompetence. It wasn’t simply that he didn’t give a flying f**k all afternoon (although that was true as well) but that he made so many mistakes: crap passes, miscontrol, failure to beat his man, and that missed header from Bergkamp’s cross. Again, he didn’t seem to care much. He looked gloomy on the bench but that was probably because of his scraps with Keane, Solksjaer, etc.

Ljungberg - Lots of running around. Totally ineffectual.

Bergkamp – Good in the first 10 mins, crap thereafter. By the last 20 mins, he was passing like Edu.

Vieira – Good in the first 30 mins, mediocre thereafter. Gave away foul after foul, which disrupted our flow and allowed the clock to pass time.

Henry – I know he was only for half an hour, but why did he even bother? I’m as big a fan of him as anyone, but his posing and preening is irritating when we’re trying to save the game. He likes to think of himself as the ultimate team player, and most of the time he is. But there are still occasions when his first concern is looking cool.

This was a big game, and none of our big players. They lacked hunger, which is why it reminded me so much of the league game against Manure at OT in December 2002. They also lacked basic competence. When was the last time we passed the ball so poorly?

If we win the league, then it will be easy to forget about today or at least look upon it as an isolated occurence in which we simply played s***e. But Chelsea are only 4 points behind us now, and our game in hand is no walkover (Liverpool). Today's game - just like last week's capitulation - may represent the beginning of a loss of form. Reyes and Ljungberg are out for most of the rest of the season. As Lewdikris wrote recently, this group of players simply will not be able to recover if we fail to win the league this season. Right now, I am more concerned about next weekend's league games than Tuesday's CL game.

You make some good points there, but we cant really attack Pires, Vieira, Henry and Lauren, they have been excellent all year.

We have lost a game that we deserved to lose, and we are not used to it. We were not at the races today, why I dont know. But we shouldnt go over board on the players.
We are now under HUGE pressure, and it could all easily go very wrong. We need to support the players and lot lot more than the support they got in Villa park today.

Starting Ali was a BIG BIG mistake. It made NO sense what so ever, and we paid the price.
We have taken a blow, and we need to get up again and keep going.
This game needs to be put behind us now and we all should forget about it.

jeremiesgirl

I love the way that everyone goes on about the biggest mistake of the game was starting Ali :roll: . As I've said on another topic, I was very surprised he started after his long time away with injuries but it wasnt the sole reason we lost today. Wenger made a decision to give one our brightest prospects a chance to shine and unfortunately he didnt get a major chance to show his potential, he did however make some tackles and made some good passes, the one to Freddie in the first half was a good chance but it was Freddie who didnt make the most of it.

It is all SO easy to slate our young player, we all have to blame someone so Ali is being made out to be the scapegoat. I'm sure he is felling s**t afterwards as more than anyone he would have wanted to have gone out there and proved himself. I personally think he played as well as can be expected but it wasnt the right game for him to make an Arsenal return to.

However, Wenger thought he was doing the right thing by resting Reyes & Henry and even when they came on they couldnt get us goals. Fair enough Reyes played well but I thought they were disappointing in the circumstances and who knows whether the result would have been any different if they had started.

I do think its out of order when so called Arsenal fans launch attacks on their own players. Fair enough there is a lot of passion involved over todays game and yes we are all gutted to go out, especially to Man U but this is the team we support so lets just stick by them and look forward to the Champions League. Get your spirits up and cheer for the lads on Tuesday who have been wripped to shreds to today.

People who say Wenger should go are stupid. He has been an amazing manager and I dont think anybody could do a better job. Lets face it, Man U have nothing else to win where as we have 2 chances left. Man U were going to go for it 150% today, they were desperate and it showed. Thats why there were so many dirty tackes and thanks to the ref they got away with it and lose 2 of our most important players. As they say s**t happens and that is what happened today. Lady luck wasnt on our side but the whole team didnt perform as they should - we can go on making excuses but it doesnt change anything.

Lets use some of this passion to spur on the lads to beating Chelsea on Tuesday :)

JazzG

Established Member
Our biggest make was starting Ali, if we had started with Reyes or Henry we probably would of scored. The boy has a bright future but he isn't ready yet. When we were on top he wasn't involved nor was he when we weren't on top. When Reyes came on he was getting involved in everything and showed he can cut it right now at the top, we should of started with him.

Like Sol said I agree with some of what JGooner is saying but its abit harsh flaming them over one match when they have been so good for so long.

Stim

Starting Ali was not a mistake, we needed to rest players, Ali has scored for fun lately so he deserved a start. Unfortunately he couldnt get invloved but i thought today he looked much more bulkier than he was before. A lot like Thierry Henry except couldn't get into the game as much. So it's definately harsh saying it was a big mistake now, after the match is finished. I know i would of done the same if i was Wenger.

Overall it was a bad day and not many players performed well today and the luck was definately out today. Edu was particularly appauling but we can take positives from Reyes' performance.

Look forward to Chelsea and make sure there are no more slip ups in the season. The players wont want to feel like this again.

JazzG

Established Member
Reyes should of started with Bergkamp, later on we could of bought on Kanu and Henry and taken off Bergkamp and Reyes. Even Wiltord would of been a better option, Ali has never played a big match like this so it was stupid to use him.

Ali looked lost, henry was at least trying but not very easy to do something when as soon as you touch the ball you have 3 or 4 players around you.

Dunno what happened to Edu today, he has been so good in recent weeks. He usually always has a good game against man utd but today he was half asleep and wouldn't pass quick enough.

Just can't wait till Tue, can't stop thinking about todays match :(

bobbypires

Established Member
There are games along the season where you try and can't do anything.
I don't understand the attacks to some players. We dodn't lose since January! (and it was in the Carling Cup)

Eastrek

Here are my individual player ratings for today...
Lehmann (6)
Lauren (7)
Campbell (7)
Toure (7)
Clichy ( 8 )
Ljungberg (6)
Vieria (6)
Edu (5)
Pires (6)
Aliadiere (6)
Bergkamp (7)

Henry (6)