• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA Investigating Over Suspicious Betting Pattern during an Arsenal match

RacingPhoton

Established Member
And this is the same game where he stamped the Leeds player without even a booking? Earlier in the game? Or am I misremembering?

Honestly, even without the player or referee being involved, spot betting on Xhaka yellows and reds should be a real industry.
Yes it's the same game. As you said, it's hard to be sure when the player involved is Xhaka 😂

RacingPhoton

Established Member
That tackle pissed the **** out of me (could've easily been a red, and so stupid when we were winning 3-0)--I've been complaining about it in Xhaka's thread for a few weeks now (though I incorrectly remembered it as against Norwich or Newcastle haha)--this would actually make me think higher of Xhaka and his intelligence as a player, tbh 🤣. Though remind me that in general, in life, he is just an idiot.

Tbh, if the investigation concludes it was him, he would deserve a season-long ban at the least, for me. Making a tackle like that and endangering the health and career of other footballers for money / gangland connections or pressure is really something deserving of a very, very serious ban.
Nothing proven yet. But if it is, season long ban is too soft. In cricket, players who were caught spot fixing were given five years ban.

Slug457

That tackle pissed the **** out of me (could've easily been a red, and so stupid when we were winning 3-0)--I've been complaining about it in Xhaka's thread for a few weeks now (though I incorrectly remembered it as against Norwich or Newcastle haha)--this would actually make me think higher of Xhaka and his intelligence as a player, tbh 🤣. Though remind me that in general, in life, he is just an idiot.

Tbh, if the investigation concludes it was him, he would deserve a season-long ban at the least, for me. Making a tackle like that and endangering the health and career of other footballers for money / gangland connections or pressure is really something deserving of a very, very serious ban.
That's the thing, that tackle isn't what got him the yellow, it was for time wasting sometime later. And that tackle occured before the big bets started coming in. For it to be spot fixing the ref would have to be in on it and know when to give a yellow. Arteta would have to be in on it to know not to sub him off. This grand conspiracy for a payout that is about what Granit earns in a week, really?

What's more likely is that a professional gambler saw Xhaka sliding in all game and made a smart bet. Nothing bookies hate more than having to pay out, so they whine about how it is suspicious. And note the timing of the announcement of this very disruptive investigation, right before one of the biggest games of Arsenals season against one of the darlings of the FA, Liverpool.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
The seriousness of this is being understated. If found to be true whoever it is will be facing serious sanctions.
Don't think anyone is understating the seriousness of this. Players get banned for passing on small inside info with things like transfers to a mate. If player is actually involved with match fixing directly than he deserves all the hard punishment that comes with.

At the moment though there is stil no conclusive evidence of that. Xhaka does daft things all the all the time but I will be very surprised if he is directly involved in match fixing. He simply has too much to lose. It is the reason why it is very rare to see a footballer at the very top level getting involved.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Ive just woke upto this news. Whoever it is needs not only released from their contract but sued by the club until they've met financial ruin.

If true this is one of the most damming sporting events I've known in my time following British football. Benefit of the doubt catch yourself on.
Well maybe people will think different if it is one of our youngsters who has made a mistake.
IF Merson had done something like this back in the day when struggling with off the field stuff perhaps its not a hanging offence.
It's hardly match fixing or some player taking a bung from far east betting syndicates to make money as may have happened in the past so to say its one of the most damning?
I agree though if true it is really bad but footballers are not known for their brains.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I remember watching a podcast and Leon Knight was talking about how common these kind of things are- very few actually get caught. Especially in the lower leagues.

Knight would tell his pals to stick £100-£200 quid on him to get booked. He said higher amounts usually drew attention. I suppose Xhaka is a good person to lump on, he gets booked before he even brushes his teeth.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
That's the thing, that tackle isn't what got him the yellow, it was for time wasting sometime later.
Well that seems a bit suspicious in its own right, no?

For it to be spot fixing the ref would have to be in on it and know when to give a yellow.
Why would the ref have to be in on it? He just would need to make a yellow card offence and that is what he did.

Arteta would have to be in on it to know not to sub him off.
Not necessarily either, because look Xhaka made that ridiculous tackle and even then Arteta didn't sub him off..Xhaka knows more or less that he's going to go the full 90 minutes and should he see someone warming up to replace him he could've also hurried in his efforts to get a yellow.

This grand conspiracy for a payout that is about what Granit earns in a week, really?
Well, I think it would more be like some gangland connection exerting pressure on Xhaka, and him ceding to it...I don't think the payout would be for him, really.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Don't think anyone is understating the seriousness of this. Players get banned for passing on small inside info with things like transfers to a mate. If player is actually involved with match fixing directly than he deserves all the hard punishment that comes with.

At the moment though there is stil no conclusive evidence of that. Xhaka does daft things all the all the time but I will be very surprised if he is directly involved in match fixing. He simply has too much to lose. It is the reason why it is very rare to see a footballer at the very top level getting involved.
I think you underestimate his arrogance and the negative impact that constantly being rewarded for bad behavior can have on a person's moral and logical compasses. Here's a guy who should have been binned 2 years ago who has continued to cost his side on the pitch, openly flirted with transfers off the pitch and somehow been rewarded by the manager with a raise. You only need to listen to him speak to know that he's not an intelligent person so is it really tough to see how he might have thought he could get away with doing something tremendously stupid and benefitting from it when that's basically been the summation of his time at Arsenal?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Well maybe people will think different if it is one of our youngsters who has made a mistake.
IF Merson had done something like this back in the day when struggling with off the field stuff perhaps its not a hanging offence.
It's hardly match fixing or some player taking a bung from far east betting syndicates to make money as may have happened in the past so to say its one of the most damning?
I agree though if true it is really bad but footballers are not known for their brains.
Personally id have no sympathy for any of them. They know the rules. They are paid handsomely enough to avoid situations like this. If its happened the book should be thrown at them.

dave_rwr

Established Member
Imagine if it came to light that all of Xhaka's bone headed decisions in his time at Arsenal were all related to betting? And he's actually such a composed and intelligent player, he just uses that composure and intelligence in ways to earn his friends money.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom