• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fabio Vieira: The Portuguese Project

Bucephalus

He was objectively terrible. Except for the two absolute world class assists. Either commit to playing him 20 minutes a match, or send him out on loan to Huddersfield to learn how to get properly clattered. The talent is there, but Cesc at 16 stood up to the physicality better than this.

Alternately, Mikel's "rotation" is absurd. If Viera is terrible as an ACM with Partey and Xhaka behind him, he should be judged. How the hell am I supposed to fairly judge him with Elneny and Sambi behind him?

(For that matter, I'd like to see Sambi play again with 2/3 of our regular midfield. Sometimes our non-first eleven players only get in, in a situation set up for failure.)

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
100%

He has some talent and a good final ball if given time and space but he’s a square peg in a round hole in an Arteta system built around running and pressing and tempo and speed.

He’s not the same player as Pepe but it’s kind of the same effect. Has some talent but just doesn’t really fit with what the manager wants and what the other 10 players on the pitch are doing.

Pepe a very good comparison and one i hadn't thought of.

mpower2540

The guy is extremely talented no doubt about that.

Just needs that Bernardo Silva strength and conditioning regime and he’s good to go.
He needs to be brave enough to demand that ball because he's got the ability imo. Too early to say which way his Arsenal career is going to go but I still think he can have a big impact for us this season if he wants to, all feels mental to me with him.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Frankly, I think this was a good match for Vieira. Not because I think he played well for most of the match, but because he still found a way to be decisive despite not being at his best.

Vieira needs to put on some muscle and improve his conditioning, but this is common for new players in the EPL. Some players need just need half a season or a whole season to adjust to the league.

Oxford were set up to press us like crazy and to be physical with us. Vieira struggled in the first half, but so did Saka, Nketiah, and Martinelli.

The match changed when Xhaka and Zinchenko came on and we were able to control the midfield. Once we had more control, Vieira was able to find space to receive the ball and he quickly got two assists and we won 3-0.

I think the rest of his game will improve.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Meant no disrespect. Point was he is a more final ball player as against Ødegaard who can be all action/controller. Different styles.

I actually think its quite a good comparison. Based on his performances to date, he's a poundshop Mesut - good end product but without Özil's skills/touch and ability to set the tempo. Problem is that kind of player is a luxury we can't afford in Artetaball.

I'm not writing him off yet, he hasn't had long enough and I'll give him till the start of next season. But if it stays like this and he can't help control tempo and look after the ball better then he's not for us I'm afraid.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Since joining i loved his long passing and creativity but apart from that he just hide most game and physically still weak because of that he struggle to dribble and escape tackles he really need to get these things sorted he obviously very talented guy.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He was objectively terrible. Except for the two absolute world class assists. Either commit to playing him 20 minutes a match, or send him out on loan to Huddersfield to learn how to get properly clattered. The talent is there, but Cesc at 16 stood up to the physicality better than this.

Alternately, Mikel's "rotation" is absurd. If Viera is terrible as an ACM with Partey and Xhaka behind him, he should be judged. How the hell am I supposed to fairly judge him with Elneny and Sambi behind him?

(For that matter, I'd like to see Sambi play again with 2/3 of our regular midfield. Sometimes our non-first eleven players only get in, in a situation set up for failure.)
Sending him to Huddersfield in a rubbish league with rubbish players won’t do him any good and is waste of time. He is better than that as he excelled in Portugal

I give him time because he is still showing moments of quality. He needs to pick his moments better and his battles better though

Tom349

12 months ago Ødegaard was having similar struggles with the physicality and adapting to English football. Now he has squashed most of those concerns.

No guarantees that Viera follows a similar path but at the very least he has found a way to contribute in nearly every game where he has been asked to shoulder some responsibility, which gives me hope that if he can adjust then he will be very important player moving forward.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
12 months ago Ødegaard was having similar struggles with the physicality and adapting to English football. Now he has squashed most of those concerns.

No guarantees that Viera follows a similar path but at the very least he has found a way to contribute in nearly every game where he has been asked to shoulder some responsibility, which gives me hope that if he can adjust then he will be very important player moving forward.
Ødegaard's talent is on another level, at 16 he was wanted by half of Europe and he is just now reaching his full potential.

Vieira is decent, with some physical improvements he could be a useful rotation player for us in a few positions, but I don't see him going further than that, and that's still fine as we could use a player like that

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Poorly scouted by Arsenal - Arteta won’t even bring him on in a game against Newcastle when we have no other attacking talent on the bench because he doesn’t believe he is physically up to it against a big, strong Newcastle team

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He doesnt even have to be a build up master, we’ve got other players for that (Zinny, TP, Ødegaard ect). He’s got the one thing you can’t really teach though, elite technique.

Let’s face it, KDB isn’t exactly Modric or Xavi in the build up but he’s an all timer because of his delivery and end product. Obviously not saying FV is anywhere near this but it’s nice to have someone in the squad now like him.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
He doesnt even have to be a build up master, we’ve got other players for that (Zinny, TP, Ødegaard ect). He’s got the one thing you can’t really teach though, elite technique.

Let’s face it, KDB isn’t exactly Modric or Xavi in the build up but he’s an all timer because of his delivery and end product. Obviously not saying FV is anywhere near this but it’s nice to have someone in the squad now like him.
You can't have elite technique if your first touch is often heavy.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant

KDB has physicality. Vieira biggest issue will be he has no physical attributes. He isn’t elusive like Bernardo, David Silva, Cazorla, Özil, Ødegaard etc… If he’s pressed, he’ll lose the ball or turn backwards.

He hasn’t got any pace, if he’s shown down the line, again, he’ll have to turn back.

A good final ball isn’t enough for what we expect from our midfielders.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
KDB has physicality. Vieira biggest issue will be he has no physical attributes. He isn’t elusive like Bernardo, David Silva, Cazorla, Özil, Ødegaard etc… If he’s pressed, he’ll lose the ball or turn backwards.

He hasn’t got any pace, if he’s shown down the line, again, he’ll have to turn back.

A good final ball isn’t enough for what we expect from our midfielders.

Let’s wait and see, the guy has played a handful of europa league matches with the B team and the odd game with the first team, in which he’s made an impact in most of throes games.

Top Bottom