• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fabio Vieira: The Portuguese Project

scytheavatar

Established Member
Bar Mitch, I don't think I ever heard any Arsenal fan say Diaby was poor.

Maybe they got frustrated the last few years of his career here when he was injured all the time, but I am pretty sure most knew he would have been a starter here if not for that bellend Smith at Sunderland.

I am pretty sure like 99% of Arsenal fans knew Abou was a top player.

Diaby is poor, a lot of people forget that he sucks so much at one point that he made Denison look good in comparison. This is the main reason why Wenger cling onto Denilson for so long, because it is kind of hard to argue Diaby is the better player. People forget that Diaby sucks because

1) He has little football IQ and keeps making bad decisions
2) He holds onto the ball for too long
3) He sucks defensively
4) For a guy of his size he is surprisingly easy to be out muscled

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
it's weird how the Vieira thread has 88 pages, whereas Zinchenko's, an inarguably more important player, has only 65 pages 😒

Zinchenko is a mediocre player that was forced upon us due to the manager's whim. There's nothing to discuss because there's nothing we can do about him. Everybody knows he's a lot worse than Tierney but he will still start anyway. He's important because the manager wants him to be important, even if he was key to our league bottling form. As you can see, people prefer to dwell on the legend of Diaby than to talk about a player as uninspiring as him.

Vieira was an unknown entity with potential so there was a lot more to discuss about him whenever he featured, and now after an underwhelming first season about what's his place in this squad, if any. 89 pages is not much anyway, safe to say most people lost faith.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
This Diaby debate just reminds me of how poor this forum is. The guy literally had a career ending injury at 21 or something, never got his career back. A bit like Ramsey although Ramsey did manage to salvage something out of his career but definitely could've been a much better player.

There is an interview with him somewhere on Youtube where he speaks about it, really unlucky what happened to him

Tnegs

Diaby is poor, a lot of people forget that he sucks so much at one point that he made Denison look good in comparison. This is the main reason why Wenger cling onto Denilson for so long, because it is kind of hard to argue Diaby is the better player. People forget that Diaby sucks because

1) He has little football IQ and keeps making bad decisions
2) He holds onto the ball for too long
3) He sucks defensively
4) For a guy of his size he is surprisingly easy to be out muscled

It’s funny how overrated Diaby is because he was capable of pulling a few flashy moves in a game while contributing very little. Imagine not having very much money to spend but giving this guy 9 years on a fat contract in return for one good game at Anfield utterly Diabolical if you ask me.

There was a vastly superior and cheap alternative in Moussa Dembele who played for Fulham at the time and could actually do the stuff Diabolical was supposed to do (but couldn’t really) yet no we couldn’t sign him because we already had Diabolical and we needed to wait for that one good Anfield game. Also the reason why we snubbed players like Barry and Alonso was because we needed to keep the faith in Diaby, Denilson and Song.

Crazy stuff for me I remember at the time it was like being in a cult and suddenly realizing your cult leader Wenger might not be right in the head after all. First wake up call that was.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Spot on, been this way for as long as I can remember. Worst case I've seen was Abou Diaby absolutely tearing up the league at like 21/22 looking like a future world beater, to the tune of a significant amount of Arsenal fans deriding him for not being as good as prime Patrick Vieira. Meanwhile every neutral watching him was absolutely blown away by his mix of on ball ability, physical profile etc.

Think Wenger ruined Arsenal fans when it comes to young players. Simply got too much out of them, raising the standards to an unrealistic level for seemingly eternity.
I'm sad to see that WH fans have a better understanding of our club and its history and players than most people on this forum.

Great post anyways

Tnegs

This Diaby debate just reminds me of how poor this forum is. The guy literally had a career ending injury at 21 or something, never got his career back. A bit like Ramsey although Ramsey did manage to salvage something out of his career but definitely could've been a much better player.

There is an interview with him somewhere on Youtube where he speaks about it, really unlucky what happened to him

Got 9 years at Arsenal earning fat stacks doing fk all. You make it seem like he’s on the streets of bangkok begging for a living.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Another piece of **** along the line of Martin Taylor. 🤬
Taylor at least apologised to Eduardo for what he did. Smith the talentless piece of **** gave interviews years later feeling sorry for himself complaining that he was known only as the guy who broke Diabys leg.

Guys career ended in his mid 20s he's now selling CCTV hardware in Australia. He's right really he should be known as the guy who had his legs broken for what he did.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Taylor at least apologised to Eduardo for what he did. Smith the talentless piece of **** gave interviews years later feeling sorry for himself complaining that he was known only as the guy who broke Diabys leg.

Guys career ended in his mid 20s he's now selling CCTV hardware in Australia. He's right really he should be known as the guy who had his legs broken for what he did.
Looked up his career. He really did **** all that talentless piece of ****, besides injuring one of our players. Everything wrong about English football summarized in one talentless player...

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Another reminder of how little some on here understand football and base opinions on projections.

Diaby was oft maligned for not being able to dominate the midfield and use his physicality like Vieira, but equally the performances that most hark back to are the ones that had Vieira like moments.

He was never going to be a Vieira. Far far more talented going forward, but nothing like the ball-winning ability, aggression or leadership. He was in many ways an ideal player for the modern 2 attacking 8s system. Could eat up the ground, could regular beat a man, comfortable out wide and as a second striker, could bang worldies from range.

He gets criticised for his lack of consistency, but that is mostly because our view of midfielders at the time was defined by the incredibly top level consistency of Vieira, Gilberto, Petit & Cesc, all absolutely world class and scarily consistent at their best. We have to also remember its hard to be consistent when you've had your ankle shattered so badly that you are in and out of availability. And when you are played in different positions for the benefit of team balance.

Its hugely unlikely that he would ever have been at the level of a Fabregas, Vieira etc even without injuries, but he would have been a very good player, and one rather more suited to the current squad.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Yeah **** all but one painful rehab after the other.

"Fat stacks" I hate this forum sometimes.
People think other people stop being humans after they get 1 million dollars in their bank account here.. smh

Buhry

Established Member

it's weird how the Vieira thread has 88 pages, whereas Zinchenko's, an inarguably more important player, has only 65 pages 😒

Watching Fabio Vieira play for us makes me angry, it makes me want to vent.

Hope we sell him in the summer, not that I think we will.

Sparrahork

I really hope Arteta has a plan for him over the summer and for next season. For the money we paid I’d like to think they are putting his development first.

This summer he needs to really work on his strength. Fill out a bit more, put on a bit of muscle and build his robustness… nothing that’s unreasonable to expect of him.

Next season I would like him to get a loan to say a Fulham or even Brighton and get a serious amount of minutes. He is not a player that does well being thrown on in games after not having played the previous 2-3.

Vieira is very talented but needs an environment to express it. I am sure there is a top class player in there but he needs the conditions to be able to reach the level we need him to be at.
Finally a sensible message on his future with us.

He is talented and we have identified him as being so, he has not been provided with sufficient opportunity to show this last season, his confidence will also be lacking given limited minutes and increasing pressure on him.

He missed pre season last year, a pre season for him this season will be vital. A loan does seem sensible if it is felt he isn't quite there for us next season

The fan base have really turned against him the last few weeks, this despite being his first season and like many at the club not being part of the trusted group of 14 as yet.

Tets needs to think more of the group. Not vieira this time but I find it incredulous turner did not play in Europa against sporting, nor was he picked for last game of season.

TheDrunkenMaster

Can’t believe that after 8 years since he has left, people are still bigging up Diaby, a guy that after being 10 years at the club nobody knew what his position was. He slowed down attacks, was poor in the air for his height, couldn’t really defend and a clumsy tackler, poor at finishing, was tactically poor, prone to laziness and constantly injured.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Diaby was a contentious player for sure. I myself didn’t like him at the time as I just saw a permanent crock taking up space in the squad (the same frustration many fans have over numerous players today).

Adult me would have had infinite time for Diaby though and I am glad the club treated him like they did.

As for Vieira, GDeep was spot on, he’s a project. Vieira’s problem is he’s an unfinished project in a team who can suddenly challenge for the league.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Vieira is not a project. We signed him because Edteta wanted to do Jorge Mendes a favor. He has not enough talent to be a project anyway. A nothing player.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
The idea of Diaby will always be bigger than the reality of him. It's hard to tell what his true level was because of that awful injury he suffered in his early 20s. There wasn't enough body of work to assess him. I think talent wise he was special, but he was sorely lacking in the tactical and physical departments (despite his size).

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Can’t believe that after 8 years since he has left, people are still bigging up Diaby, a guy that after being 10 years at the club nobody knew what his position was. He slowed down attacks, was poor in the air for his height, couldn’t really defend and a clumsy tackler, poor at finishing, was tactically poor, prone to laziness and constantly injured.
Not having this Daiby slander. Sure he wasn't the world beater some portray him as, but he was comfortably a Champions League quality player, and in specific response a very accomplished finisher. Watch the video on the link below to remind yourself how good he'd be in the left 8 position.

A reminder...

Top Bottom