• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Failed Arsenal Players

Arsenal_FAN1983

Following our recent signing of Theo Walcot people are doubting this move was the right one.

People look at our past failed english players: Pennant, UPson, Jeffers.

They don't actually seem to realise that players like Pennant and Jeffers had a bad attitude and it is this that had stopped them from achieving anything here at Arsenal.

People are quick to forget a World Class english player who has come through our youth ranks was made at Arsenal, the player being Ashley Cole of course. :evil: :evil:

Not to mention Hoyte

oreo

I bet walcott has a good attitude, or he wouldn't be successful in southampton too.

mungooner

Apparently Walcott will be more successful than rooney coz he can be a better role model for kids. He has a better attitude, according to the times today.

phonics

Arsenal_FAN1983 said:
Following our recent signing of Theo Walcot people are doubting this move was the right one.

People look at our past failed english players: Pennant, UPson, Jeffers.

They don't actually seem to realise that players like Pennant and Jeffers had a bad attitude and it is this that had stopped them from achieving anything here at Arsenal.

People are quick to forget a World Class english player who has come through our youth ranks was made at Arsenal, the player being Ashley Cole of course. :evil: :evil:

Not to mention Hoyte

Why does everyone say Upson didn't succeed. Brum are doing bad this year but before they were a safe mid table team. Just becausse we sold em doesn't mean they had terrible careers. Jeffers no comment.. :eek:ops:

I think its ridiculous that these these names, jeffers, upson, etc. etc. keep popping up. The fact of the matter is, they werent good enough. Arsenal are a world class team, and tbh they were not world class players.
Walcott on the otherhand....*touches wood*

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Pennant had the ability, but not the attitude.. Upson was decent enough, but couldnt wait for his shot.. Jeffers was just not good... his 3 teams since leaving can attest to that...

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think anyone with half a brain would dismiss claims that we were responsible for the 'failings' of those 3 players. As far as i'm concerned, until one of them goes on to prove Arsène wrong, then the claims are nothing short of idiotic. Pennant in particular not only had a bad attitude, but also hardly progressed the way we expected him to. There are certain risks when investing in youth and really it could go either way, depending on the player’s mental strength and determination more than his actual quality, with henry being the perfect example of that. imo every time a young english player comes through the ranks the media and fans in particular are so desperate for them to make it that they're willing to blame absolutely anyone when they don’t.

mungooner

there is a big difference between pennant and Wlacott. Walcott has apparently got good people around him, good parents etc. Pennant on the other hand came from the roughest estate in england (somewhere in nottingham). So it would have been remarkable if we had manged to change him.

phonics

Pennant admits himself that the bright light's of london being away from family and friends got to him.

Whereas Theo will be moving back in with his parents has a girlfriend and an incredibly secure middlelass life.

ccc

Upson is a good player. I remember that he was brought up as our next skipper (after adams). he was just unlucky to get injured at improper moment, though there would never be a proper moment for injury :p also, he was not patient enough to wait his time.

wookie

Pennant IS a fantastic talent. Like someone else has already mentioned, he came from one of the toughest council estates in England. His father walked out on him when he was a kid and he had no guidance during his formative years. You pay a yougster like him £10,000-20,000 a week and you 're asking for trouble. Wenger clearly thought he could tame him. His transfer (like all transfers) was a gamble and one that didn't pay off for him OR Arsenal. I understand he's given up the booze and settled down at Birmingham. His performances week in week out have been very consistent now (the stats prove this). There are even rumours that Liverpool are now interested in him, and Bruce is quoting them £7M!

My point is Walcott is a gamble as well (and at £12M a bloody large one!!) and a gamble that may not come off. The signs are that he won't come off the rails like Pennant did, as he comes from a good, stable, supportive middle class family. But, he might get a niggling injury, loose his form, get frustrated at not being able to break into the team regularly and ultimately leave Arsenal unfulfilled (ref. Bentley).

Despite the hype - he is not the messiah. He is not a new Henry or Wright. What he is is a fantastically precocious talent that we must HOPE develops into the new Walcott. Here's hoping...........

KingReyes

Established Member
PolishGooner said:
Viper said:
Pennant was a decent player, but is attitude was appaling.

you can say the same about Adams and Merson but they achieved great things.

Adams' and Merson's attitudes were appalin! :lol:

They might have loved their booze but they certainly didn't have the wrong attitude especially when it came to doing thier job for Arsenal.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom