• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ferdinand and the FA

The Premier

Well, let's see what happens this week with Ferdinand's hearing at the FA. When Manchester City's Christian Negouai was charged with the same offence earlier this year, his name was kept secret, he had a private hearing, and he escaped with only a fine. By the way, I'm not claiming that doping rules should be loosened, it's just that what's good for the goose should be good for the gander, particularly since the rules on testing have not changed between the two incidents..

beaney

the hearing is today and tomorrow at the reebok stadium (why its there i have no idea)

he will get banned but not for more than 3 months i dont reckon.

i wonder when the ban will start from? instantly? knowing the fa, it will start on 1st June 2004! idiots!

The Premier

The ban will not start during the 14 days he has in which he can decide whether to appeal the decision.

Alexone234

I think they will give him a lethal injection and be burried in unholy ground so his soul can wander in that place between heaven and hell for an eternity.

A

Anonymous

the **** will get off lightly and i hope fifa nails the fa & united

because united also get off from the FA

I have a feeling united will get away from this, thats why he is still playing

A

Anonymous

Did anybody read Sepp Blatters comments about the FA and the English Premiership, can tell he hates us, he picks on a player when they are Football riots in South America and the Turk fans running rampage? this guy is a old Fart and need to be castigated out of Football, he his a Fool!

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Sepp Blatter is many things that would require lots of ****, but one thing he's not is a fool. However, one thing he is is someone that bears a grudge.

He was Havalanges 'kidee' and even got involved when havalange got ellected against Rous. Then when blatter stood against Johansen (sp) and should have lost, the brits jumped ship on Leonardt in favour of blatter. He got the votes, but despised them for it. Politically strong UK football is very bad news for Blatter, so why not come down hard. And what better way than complaining about a major name player whos 'not turned up for a drug test'. Everywhere else in the Football world he's making logical comments about drug taking. Win/win for the old git.

A

Anonymous

Exiled in no way i'm pro drugs! if Rio is found guilty of drug taking i will be there shouting for a long ban! but it all stinks a world class defender (well IMO) and failed a drug test ,dunno i dont think so.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
My honest belief is this. Rio didn't take any 'performance enhancers' but there's long been stories of him liking not quite legal 'medication' and I think he'd probably been on one recently and bricked it.

However, he avoided the drug test. If he'd taken the test and done, say, charlie the night before and got banned for it then I'd think that was crap because I think if drugs tests are going to show recreational but non performance enhancing drugs, there should not be a ban for that.

However, he avoided the drug test. Through stupidity he's now guilty of avoiding a drugs test, which counts as a +ve result. Because of that he must be banned, or else when they turn up and there's a really guilty guy, he's going to leg it rather than getting tested because he knows he'll get off. Unfortunately he must pay for bricking it (seems to be a team trait!).

Only bad thing is I honestly don't think he's anywhere near as good as rated and it'll help you him being out!

Andrew

myth said:
Did anybody read Sepp Blatters comments about the FA and the English Premiership, can tell he hates us, he picks on a player when they are Football riots in South America and the Turk fans running rampage? this guy is a old Fart and need to be castigated out of Football, he his a Fool!

Us Aussies don't like him too much either! :evil:

A

Anonymous

Exiled..i honestly don't think that one could say that he "avoided" the drug test as it has not been proved yet wether he "avoided" it or "forgot" to take it..if after the hearing it is proved that he avoided it..then you have every right to say he "avoided" it.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
ruud - to think he could possibly have 'forgotten' is naive in the extreme, and actually totally irrelevent. He was booked for the test but didn't turn up. Whether he 'forgot' (yeah right) or 'avoided' it doesn't make any diffference at all. He is guilty of avoiding a drugs test.

Jinn

Established Member
This is a very high profile case, which could do English football and European football in general a lot of damage if not handled properly.

A

Anonymous

ExiledInNewcastle said:
My honest belief is this. Rio didn't take any 'performance enhancers' but there's long been stories of him liking not quite legal 'medication' and I think he'd probably been on one recently and bricked it.

However, he avoided the drug test. If he'd taken the test and done, say, charlie the night before and got banned for it then I'd think that was crap because I think if drugs tests are going to show recreational but non performance enhancing drugs, there should not be a ban for that.

However, he avoided the drug test. Through stupidity he's now guilty of avoiding a drugs test, which counts as a +ve result. Because of that he must be banned, or else when they turn up and there's a really guilty guy, he's going to leg it rather than getting tested because he knows he'll get off. Unfortunately he must pay for bricking it (seems to be a team trait!).

Only bad thing is I honestly don't think he's anywhere near as good as rated and it'll help you him being out!

Spot on, my thoughts exactly.

Has anyone noticed how desperate the Sun are to get Ferdinand off the hook?
You think they would be doing the same if Sol Campbell was in the same position? I think not!

lewdikris

Established Member
The damage is already done, and in that sense it's irrelevant what Rio gets. What has been decisively proven is that the system for performing drug tests is rubbish, the laws surrounding drug tests are destructively vague, that the relationship between clubs, the FA, and FIFA is ridiculously inept.

Rio is a scapegoat as a result of his own stupidity. Which is fine. But because there are no standards in place as to what he should even be found guilty of, and so much ambivalence about the process itself, no action can be acceptable.

If he gets 3 months, which is the diplomatic option, even that looks like a cop out.

If he gets 2 years, that only proves that a 2 year ban - a la Athletics - should be automatic for any contravention of drug laws, and drug testing regulations.

If he gets **** all, then the FA are really as useless as they seem, and then Blatter gets full authority to dictate the terms. Which isn't good for the status of national associations, or for the egotism of big clubs, who would bypass their FAs to take on FIFA itself.

The whole ****ing thing stinks.

Piston Broke

Hmmmmm Interesting it seems now Rio wasn't rushing off because he was moving house now he say's he was shopping.
Stinks of Lies to me ?????

Quote From Skysports
"Ferdinand has Ronald Thwaites QC and Maurice Watkins to argue his case and is expected to call Manchester City's Eyal Berkovic as a witness, having met the midfielder out shopping when he was supposed to be taking his test at United's Carrington training ground"

JGooner

He has been given an 8 month ban and 50k fine, which means that England's first choice ball-playing CB will not be going to Euro 2004. English sport betraying itself once more. Well done, FA.

Given the ambiguity of the doping rules within football (as opposed to the clarity of the rules in other sports, which the media ludicrously uses as something that Ferdinand should have to measure up to), a sensible punishment would have been a big fine with maybe a three months ban. This would deprive his club of his services for a crucial period but still give the player the opportunity to get fit for Euro 2004.

The Premier

I don't see how this decision is consistent with the decision to only levy a finea against Negouai earlier in the year. The punishment should be the same, regardless of the profile of the individual and the club. At the least, the FA should have to set out why it feels the two cases were so different.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom