• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ferdinand and the FA

IW8

POSTED ON A MAN U FORUM

From today's "The Sun" (22/12/03)

Utd extracted the urine
By STEVEN HOWARD

THE look on Rio Ferdinand’s face said it all.

As Manchester United’s lawyer Maurice Watkins announced on Friday evening there would be an immediate appeal against the eight-month ban, Ferdinand stared vacantly ahead.

But inside his scrambled brain, you knew the one question he was asking himself: How the hell did it come to this?

Because, Rio, you went against your gut instinct and allowed your club to talk you into attempting a defence of the indefensible.

Ferdinand’s own judgment on himself was to take whatever punishment the FA were to hand out as soon as possible and return in time to play for England at Euro 2004.

When he finally realised the FA meant business, it was too late.

Instead, he was browbeaten into conforming to the general Old Trafford policy of fighting every perceived slight — especially when it came via the FA, the authority United want removed from administering the national game in favour of a Premiership-run body that leading clubs will control.

What started as a simple case of a player, either wilfully or not, failing to provide a urine sample has ended with United rightfully punished for their cack-handed attempt to euphemistically “extract the urine” themselves.

What actually was said behind closed doors at the Reebok Stadium during the FA tribunal on Thursday and Friday — apart from a general, leaked precis — may never be known.

That is why, if the drugs issue really is such an important one to the most popular sport in the world, these hearings should be held in public.

Like a televised US Senate committee, the people that fund the sport, either through season-tickets or TV subscriptions, are entitled to hear what purports to be the truth.

Only then can the clouds of collusion and compromise — along with the deep mist of cynicism that surrounds everything in football — be dispersed.

On the subject of truth, Ferdinand unwisely put his faith in Manchester United.

To date, they have failed him miserably — and they will continue to do so if they go ahead with their appeal.

Worse, they have used him for their own ends in their non-stop war of attrition with the FA , a battle far more important to a 100-year-old club than eight months out of a career of a player, however much he may have cost.

United and Gordon Taylor — to me as much a despot in his own sphere as the lamentable, vote-seeking Sepp Blatter is within FIFA — claim Ferdinand was hung out to dry.

He was, but only by the ineptitude of United and the PFA chairman.

Their total inability to recognise the fact that failure to take a drugs test, with its inherent suggestion that the player involved has something to hide, has resulted in a lengthy ban for the most expensive player in the country.

Despite agreeing with the punishment handed down by the FA, though six months would probably have been enough even for Blatter, this is not a cause for rejoicing.

And, strangely, I have a certain sympathy for Ferdinand, a player who thought he was being led to water only to find a cup of strychnine on offer.

Yes, he conformed to the image of the idiot footballer for walking out on his drugs test.

Yet, if we were all judged on mistakes we have made at various moments in our lives, we would all be in the dock.

This does not make me a Ferdinand apologist. I have not agreed with those who defend the England centre-half. But if there is blame to lay, which there most certainly is, it should rest at United’s door.

They have become so accustomed to riding roughshod over a fragmented FA that they thought they could get away with it again.

Their first mistake — apart from their customary arrogance — was to try to pick holes in the FA’s dope-testing procedure.

This was not the point. The crux of the matter was that Ferdinand, either with or without United’s complicity, left the United training ground.

Their defence on that matter was something that, in my humble opinion, should haunt Ronald Thwaites QC for the rest of his £250-an-hour career as a barrister.

The same man who, whatever his reasons for accepting high-profile cases, represented both Jonathan King and road-rage killer Tracie Andrews.

Their second error was misreading the mood of the public.

Ferdinand’s team — and that includes the equally culpable Alex Ferguson — thought this was just an in-house football matter.

They thought people who believe in Manchester United could not separate right from wrong.

That their loyalty to the club would preclude many of them from coming to a reasoned judgment — just as Ferdinand’s own judgment was clouded.

United failed to realise that the Rio Ferdinand case was more than just football. They failed to realise the general public has become increasingly disillusioned with the vulgar excesses of some of the modern-day players.

They failed to realise that, despite the example set by players such as David Beckham, Thierry Henry and Zinedine Zidane, the profession is besmirched by the usual coterie of louts and big-headed show-offs who think they are above the law.

United, as a club, are tarred darkly by the same brush.

Likewise Gordon Taylor, the discredited £650,000-a-year boss of the PFA.

How reassuring it was to see his simplistic, puerile arguments torn to shreds by the BBC Newsnight programme on Friday.

Sadly, for a game he professes to love — and what an inflation-proof pension he has got — I have little reason to doubt he will be right behind United’s appeal and stirring the spoon deep in the treacle.

If he has any shame, he will leave Ferdinand to serve his eight months rather than encouraging an appeal that could well double the initial punishment, a process the FA fear.

And if Taylor has any wisdom, which I think he has, he should go against his natural instinct to encourage his “anointed successor” Gary Neville to cause problems within the England camp.

As this newspaper points out quite clearly, trouble-makers in the England squad will no longer be tolerated.

As for drugs in football, I think we should concentrate on the performance-enhancers rather than the type used for recreational purposes.

The general feeling is that football, mercifully, is free of the sort of steroid use that pollutes some sports.

Long may that be the case.

FA chief executive Mark Palios has stood firm in his belief that this war against drugs should continue.

And he has to be applauded rather than used as a lever for football clubs, the PFA and interested TV companies to wrest control of the national game from the FA.

Certainly, no footballer will now ever “forget” to take a drugs test.

Not often I agree with the Sun, but if they are going against Man U then there is definitely wrong.

A

Anonymous

So if he never took drugs what you are saying he sould have said yes i did take Drugs?
And if he did miss the drug people by a few hours (transscripts) He gets Crushed? But the law is the law he gets his comeuppance to the delight of the rest of the top teams and fans.
Lewdikris i have come to terms with it! like i've said in other posts Rio will be like a 12th man in training Wes is fit and plenty of money in the bank if Sir Alex thinks he needs a replacement.

IW8

Ahhh come on Myth, you know what he meant. As for other fans being delighted, the only reason I'm pleased that he got such a "lengthy" ban is that it will serve as a deterrant to others who might think about "forgetting" they've been asked to take a drugs test.

A

Anonymous

I just Hope Rio Says I'll except the ban!
Then Manchester Uniteds Lawers sets about Blatter and the Football world Spend 10s of millions policing FIFA looking at their every move?

A Man U Police for the world of Football :evil: !!

that sounds like what happend after the last time somebody thought he could take over the world! but the USA became the police after that little ding dong.

The Premier

lewdikris said:
Myth, mate, you've obviously given up on an argument you can't win....

It's so f****g SIMPLE.

Ferdinand has not been done for the possibility of his having taken drugs, but for having failed to take a test.

In Athletics the law is simple. Miss a test, two year ban.

In football, which is so badly regulated, there is no clear law.

So one needed to be set.

As Alex Ferguson is about to find out, what he said about English law being based on precedent has another side. As well as relying on precedent, it also relies on new precedents being made.

From the very beginning of the Ferdinand case, he was the ultimate example of someone who's actions HAVE to be used as an example to others.

Why? Is it harsh on him? Simply because he is a high profile player at a high-profile club. One willing to contest the rule of law in football. One that has the power to do so. So when that club, and it's player makes one of the STUPIDEST errors possible, it needs to provoke a situation in which the messy way in which this sport is run can be resolved. That's the way things work.

Arsenal got fined 275k for another act of stupidity. We deserved it. Stupidity is the biggest crime in football - it's barely possible to commit another type. We pay for our stupidity, Rio and Man U can pay for theirs. And if that ensures that doping procedure finally gets sorted out once and for all, so be it.

Rio will recover, just as Tony Adams and Eric Cantona did from their enforced absences from the game. He's good enough. Man U can cope. They're rich enough, and Fergie's good enough to deal with it. But it ain;t about Man U, it ain't about Ferdinand, it's about the well-being of the game in general. Which frankly is rubbish after what we did, after Grosvenor House, after Turkey and so on. A line needs to be drawn that says someone's in control of this mess, and it's been drawn here.

Deal with it. It's better in the longterm.

I can agree with this post. Let's hope that the FA does actually stand by this new line in the sand.

A

Anonymous

Good post Lewdikris But i still think a Jump From £2000 to £50,000 and a 8 month ban is really a nice thing and Rio sould have been given the full inpact of other sports law 3 years and a bomb dropped on Manchester 3 kilotonne one, but not 50 kilotonne hang on We dont have a 50 Kilotonne bomb. thats OK we will wait untill we make one then we can use it.

AFCG7

Established Member
Interesting.. now Man U want the FA to clarify in writing the reasons for Rio's punishment.. i can sum it up nicely for them :

Rio missed a test.
He deserved a ban.
He got a ban.
If i were you lot i'd be happy we didnt give him a full 2 years.
Lucky for you we made that deal and only got him 8 months.

A

Anonymous

They want to now why the 25 times the fine and 8 months when he phoned and asked them to come back and do the test! they said no.

AFCG7

Established Member
the issue isnt whether or not they should allow him to come back...
he missed the test..
and the problem is while he may claim to have forgotten he cannot prove this..
but the fact that he missed the test is a fact.

Life is unfair.. Rio Ferdinand just found out why.

A

Anonymous

look..the question isn't wether rio was at fault or no..he clearly was (but not proven that it was intentional) and the argument is the punishment recieved..Just two days ago 2 egyptions were tested positive for a banned drug(tested positive!not missing a test..but worse.tested positive) and they only got 5 months and 7 month bans...
and Stam who took drugs also got 4 months and Davids didn't get months either..so the question still exists..why was Rio given months when people guilty of TAKING drugs were far less?..

AFCG7

Established Member
ruud .. like is said.. life isnt fair.. Rio now knows.. stupid prat should have taken the test

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

This is a dead argument that all other sportd got over long ago.

It's about time the manure boys got ovver it too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom