• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fernando Calero

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Needs more meat to be considered for the PL

laurent_koscielny-1.jpg

MiiTek

ARSENAL WANT CALERO

Arsenal are targeting Real Valladolid defender Fernando Calero according to reports in Spain, with the 23-year-old said to have a £10m release clause in his contract.

Spanish outlet Cadena SER states the 23-year-old, who only made his professional debut last year, is attracting attention from across Europe despite playing so little.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
From the YT clips (yeah, yeah, I know), he has great anticipation and is confident playing out from the back. Played for the Valladoid B team until last year so seems as a late bloomer combined with his position and play style ticks all the boxes for a like-for-like Kos replacement.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Seems to fit Sven's reported targeted profile. Wonder if will trigger the RC or try to bring him in cheaper, still that's cheap enough that it wouldn't dent our finances as far as a "big buy" is concerned.

Would still like to see this better addressed in the summer with a VVD like signing in defence.

Last edited:

Song Billong

Has anyone watched him play?

He looks like he's a late bloomer, given that he's playing his first season in the seniors at 23.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Seems to fit Sven's reported targeted profile. Wonder if will trigger the RC or try to bring him in cheaper, still that's cheap enough that it wouldn't dent our finances as far as a "big buy" is concerned.

Would still like to see this better addressed in the summer with a VVD like signing in defence.
Like who they aint many VVD around and we wont pay 75m either.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I was quite impressed with his YouTube compilation. He seems to win a lot in the air, looks comfortable on the ball and I like how his head is always moving and seems very aware of everything around him.

Of course YouTube doesn't show how his reading of the game or positional awareness so ultimately it is of little use on judging his true ability but Sven and his scouting team would know that side of his game.

Last edited:

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

My thoughts exactly...we all know we need a top level CB but who? Dosen’t seem to be a standout atm.
Exactly top quality CB are hard to find and when one gets that far its crazy money, and we wont be first in the pecking order either. Taking a punt on a couple of young cbs is the way forward.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think too much is being made of VVD. No doubt he is an exceptional defender, possibly the best in the World but a defence is a unit. Liverpool wouldn't have the defence they have now without Robertson, a £10m signing from a relegated team, Gomez a £3.5m signing from League One, Alexander-Arnold coming through from youth level and of course Allison.

Every team with defensive woes seems to think one VVD signing and all their troubles will go away. One signing didn't make that defence, shrewd scouting of lower level talent and an academy player maturing at the perfect time played a massive part too. I don't think we necessarily need a VVD level player, a player with his leadership qualities would help no end however, look what Mertesacker gave us. A couple of gems from Sven, at least one a vocal leader and luck with injuries would make a huge difference. Our poor luck with injuries this season with the back 4 changing nearly every match is a massive reason for our poor defensive record in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom