• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fever Pitch... where to you lie on the scale

Not a football fan... but I do enjoy a stirring round of cricket

• Yeah, I like football... oooooh, you mean soccer :(

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah I watch football... sometimes

• Yeah I watch football... but I don't follow a particular team

• I'm really only interested in who's winning...

• You love Arsenal with all your heart... but at the end of the day its just a game

• Its all about Arsenal don... f*k what you heard!

• You can relate to Paul Ashworth so much, watching Fever Pitch is like looking in the mirror

• You love Arsenal so much, you make Paul Ashworth look like a spuds fan.

• Arsenal is everything, everything is Arsenal... giving up your left nut(or boob), would be a small p

• You're so obsessed... relegation would provoke thoughts of ****

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A.M.A.G.

Just saw it today (all of it anyway)... was going to watch it yesterday, but i chose to look into a different type of arse ...

Just wondering how many of you saw this... I thought it was a decent flick... maybe the main character was a little scary... Arsenal is a lot... but not everything. Not too many sports based movies seem to be done from a fan's perspective... well I can't think of any at the moment anyway... plus with everything being focused on the players... i was hoping to shift gears for a bit... and focus on us the fans... so here's question...

In terms of your love for the team how do you rate yourself...

A

Anonymous

Very good film, but the book is better.

I can see so much of myself and especailly my old man in the main character. It is scary at times. When they are watching the Anfeild 89 game and he says "shut it Pleat" my dad said it at exactly the same time and in the same way.

One big big mistake in the film though is showing them drinking Holsten beer. No self repecting Arsenal fan would be caught dead drinking that, especially in the 80's and 90's!

A

Anonymous

The movie is great, shows how much arsenal means to people! i love the street party at the end too..i always wanted to be there, and then last may when we beat spuds to win the league i went down highbury, and it was just like in the movie. Best day of my life

burnsjed

Established Member
Thought the film was very weak compared to the book.
They are making a U.S version of it around baseball with
Drew Barrymore playing the female part and a guy from
SNL playing the lead...how piss poor is that

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I never thought I'd hear myself say it but the attitude displayed by some here towards Vieira who hasn't even said he wanted to leave has made me realise it is only a game.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but I ain't as bad as Mr Ashworth, not by a long way. I remember seeing it in the cinema and when Mickey scores, this guy in front of me jumped up and went "GET IN!" My girlfriend was just happy that I was not of the same mind :)

burnsjed

Established Member
My problem with it was it got a typical hollywood do over.
The book is all about Hornb's passion with Arsenal and how everything else is secondary.
The film however is more to do with relationships with Arsenal as a back drop.
I like Drew Barrymore to, didn't mean the actors, mean't the theme, baseball fans do not come close to Football fans (or soccer to our U.S friends)

Sonic Youth

that's true it's not gonna be the same as the book, but neither is the english film version
i mean

the book is an autobiography of nick hornby told in stories around arsenal matches in the period 68-92

the uk film takes the most glorious season from the book and makes a film out of it that is influenced by some quotes from the book, but which has different characters and story lines

and the us version of fever pitch will be about a different game, it just used the same scenario, it's not the same as hornby's book, but i think it will still be fun to watch.

burnsjed

Established Member
I strongly believe that the book is a must read for anyone who considers themselves to be an Arsenal fan

thegame24

Established Member
"shut it Pleat"

I love that quote.

I always do it when watching arsenal on TV. EG when ally mcoist comes up with some ****.

burnsjed

Established Member
There couldn't be an Arsenal supporter alive watching that game and thinking or saying the same at the time, was the most ridiculous pieces of commentry ever

Sonic Youth

yeah it's a great book
but it makes me kind of sad cause i get the feeling i was born 25 years too late when i read it
it seems so great to me to stand on the north bank for a few quid and be able to watch every game of the season
the little skirmishes on the terraces seem quite fun to me as well :twisted:
the highbury atmosphere also looks much better than it is now, the way nick hornby describes it during the 70s and 80s.
too bad we didn't win much trophies back then but the most important thing is the atmosphere and having fun at the game.

Gator

For me it's either "Shut it Ferguson you red nosed jock twat"

Or

"Shut it Tyldesley you manc git"

burnsjed

Established Member
didn't seem that much fun at the time I can assure you.
We were pretty average for most of that period excluding a few cup runs, and being on the terraces during 'skirmishes' certainly was not fun.
It was bloody scary from time to time.
I remember the game against West Ham when Millwall's game had been called off, and a bunch of their fans turned up in the North Bank, and there were Arsenal, W Ham & Millwall all in the North Bank!
Someone let off a smoke bomb and everyone spilled onto the pitch, right laugh that was...not

Nick Hornby is god!

I loved both the movie and the book. Colin Firth was excellent doing Paul, but the book is a MUST to every football fan, especially Arsenal. I was barely alive for most of the periods described in the book, I only started being an Arsenal fan after the book was published, but when I read the book some years ago, it made me want to learn more about our club history. also, it sums up everything I feel about Arsenal today...

To all non-English fans: You better read it in English rather than your native language. when I read the Hebrew translation it wasn't as good as reading Hornby himself...

Biggus

Established Member
The book is all about Hornb's passion with Arsenal and how everything else is secondary

Nick Hornby said the book is about anyone who has let any obsession take over their life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom