• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Folarin Balogun: Balogone

Is he better than Lacazette?

• Total voters

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
People on here have been saying he should be playing for us & constantly slagging the manager for not doing so. Its the same with Azeez. Forum is full of absolute jokers who just wanna send Lambs to the slaughter.
He did ok tbf all things considered.

Tonight showed though that only ESR & SAka are 100% at the level needed.

Hopefully Balo gets hatrick now against Chelsea 👍

Saka showed nothing tonight. In fact Martinelli was good if anything, but we can't see that because of unbalanced XI. ESR did well too but he needs help.

The problem was Arteta mostly, you can't just lineup three forwards and just one midfield-forward mix in ESR. You need to have more ball-dominant players to balance it out.

Listen, Pepe is a forward, but despite his excellent finishing, he isn't good on the ball and specially off-the-ball, in fact he provides negative value in these aspects, gives the ball away too much and is bad defensively, just can make his work off-the-ball. He is good only when he is shooting.

Martinelli worked very hard without the ball with his runs attacking the space and also made a lot of recoveries and sucessful pressures (in fact Arsenal was winning the "expected goal match" until he goes out), but he was denied by Arteta's XI, Martinelli isn't a ball-dominant player and at least he isn't used as such. I see him more of ceiling player rather than floor raiser player.

Balogun bad game was not only poor service from the team, but his receptions, first touches, and he also looked overpowered in most of the duels, wasn't good defensively and wasn't OK with playing with the back to the goal, that was the impression. Nketiah's average match is usually better.

Alexs

Can’t be judged on this game. If so, ESR plays, Tierney and Lakonga make the bench and that’s it.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Saka showed nothing tonight. In fact Martinelli was good if anything, but we can't see that because of unbalanced XI. ESR did well too but he needs help.

The problem was Arteta mostly, you can't just lineup three forwards and just one midfield-forward mix in ESR. You need to have more ball-dominant players to balance it out.

Listen, Pepe is a forward, but despite his excellent finishing, he isn't good on the ball and specially off-the-ball, in fact he provides negative value in these aspects, gives the ball away too much and is bad defensively, just can make his work off-the-ball. He is good only when he is shooting.

Martinelli worked very hard without the ball with his runs attacking the space and also made a lot of recoveries and sucessful pressures (in fact Arsenal was winning the "expected goal match" until he goes out), but he was denied by Arteta's XI, Martinelli isn't a ball-dominant player and at least he isn't used as such. I see him more of ceiling player rather than floor raiser player.

Balogun bad game was not only poor service from the team, but his receptions, first touches, and he also looked overpowered in most of the duels, wasn't good defensively and wasn't OK with playing with the back to the goal, that was the impression. Nketiah's average match is usually better.
I thought SAka did fine when he came on. Martinelli worked hard but doesnt have the ball playing ability of Saka.
He is imo more similar to Auba when he is out there.
Im sure Gabby will develop but Saka imho plays the position & links up play better at the moment.
I have a bit of sympathy for Balogun but his hold up play was not at the level & he didnt offer much of a threat in the air. He will develop though however imo Eddie looked sharper pre season and is still ahead of him .
Pepe was Pepe on the right, has good moments now & again but largely inconsistent & £72m of frustration.
We did have a young team out and i think we will improve. Brentford was always gonna be tough nut 2nite. The fixtures have been cruel in that regard especially leaving us without Partey & Gabriel who i think couldve made a difference.
We were ok on the ball but got done physically. I said on the match thread it reminded me of a Wenger team away at Stoke.

Last edited:

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Needs to bulk up, he's just physically not ready for PL. Not sure if he'll do much better in championship tbh.

Haphazard

Felt for him, can't judge him considering the state of the team. When your tactic is to pass to tierney and him whipping a cross in to players (none of whom are dominant in the air except for maybe Martinelli a bit ) You can't expect much. Arteta Tax is insane.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
o9TufRW.gif

:lol: It only took one match. Fickle.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
People on here have been saying he should be playing for us & constantly slagging the manager for not doing so. Its the same with Azeez. Forum is full of absolute jokers who just wanna send Lambs to the slaughter.
He did ok tbf all things considered.

Tonight showed though that only ESR & SAka are 100% at the level needed.

Hopefully Balo gets hatrick now against Chelsea 👍
And using Balogun as a stick to beat Nketiah with as well. Watch people turn to the next scapegoat now. He is the same player he was yesterday - talented but very raw and in need of loan time in a lower division.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
And using Balogun as a stick to beat Nketiah with as well. Watch people turn to the next scapegoat now. He is the same player he was yesterday - talented but very raw and in need of loan time in a lower division.

Balogun has promise, Nketiah not so much. It's very hard to breakthrough as a striker at the highest level. Cause you will always be expected to produce goals, which is the hardest thing to do. TJJ has promise mainly cause he is very well rounded as a forward.

Barry

Balogun has promise, Nketiah not so much. It's very hard to breakthrough as a striker at the highest level. Cause you will always be expected to produce goals, which is the hardest thing to do. TJJ has promise mainly cause he is very well rounded as a forward.
Think that's quite subjective though, that's my point. You may think one has promise and the other doesn't but Nketiah has achieved more so far at every level than Balogun. Is he the better player right now? No idea, but it just annoys me how people line Balogun up to fail in exactly the same way they were doing with Nketiah before him. A couple of bad games and then he'll be"trash" or whatever word of the day is.

I'm not aiming this at you specifically by the way. It's just a general feeling I pick up on here.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Think that's quite subjective though, that's my point. You may think one has promise and the other doesn't but Nketiah has achieved more so far at every level than Balogun. Is he the better player right now? No idea, but it just annoys me how people line Balogun up to fail in exactly the same way they were doing with Nketiah before him. A couple of bad games and then he'll be"trash" or whatever word of the day is.

I'm not aiming this at you specifically by the way. It's just a general feeling I pick up on here.

What has Nketiah achieved over Balogun? He scored slightly more goals in the youth team mainly because he was playing in some of our best and most creative sides in the last 10 years at that level.

He scored early when he was introduced into the first team, I think it was league cup or FA cup game, Balogun did the same when he got minutes in the Europa league.

When I say Balogun has more promise, I mean he has more raw talent. He is stronger, more athletic and better on the ball. He can shoot with both feet from outside the box.

Nketiah looked decent in pre-season, but I have also seen Oxlade Chamberlain run riot in pre-season. Just don't think he is talented enough to make it here. But it will be difficult for Balogun, TJJ and Martinelli to become great players here too.

At this point, I am looking at the fullback position, CB, GK and versatile wide playmaker as the best positions to breakthrough. It will be very hard for an academy player to breakthrough and have an impact as a CM, CF or AM, unless they are generational talents which none of these guys are.

TinFish

Why do we never loan our youth prospects? Look at Chelsea with Trevoh Chalobah. Loaned to a series of clubs the past few seasons to aid his development. He looked ready today.

Meanwhile we have reserves like AMN, Nketiah, Balogun, Reiss Nelson, Azeez (and more) who are rotting away on our subs bench. Players not ready for even the first team squad yet...

Shambles...

Barry

What has Nketiah achieved over Balogun?
He's scored more goals at youth level in fewer matches; he's had more minutes and goals at different age groups for England as an international player; more senior starts and goals for Arsenal in the first team.

I get the promise point, but until he has proven something it's just wishful thinking really. He may turn out to be amazing but it's speculation to the highest degree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in the "back the youth" camp. But it's annoying when people flip flop on players without ever being realistic about what they have or haven't done. Balogun hasn't done or proven anything yet. He needs to go to the Championship for a year and then we'll see if he can get 25 goals like Tammy Abraham did for example.

Last edited:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
People always need a scapegoat, and unfortunately, it's rarely a guilty party. Such a shame they'e choosing a child barely out of the Hale End crib to pick on this time.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Why do we never loan our youth prospects? Look at Chelsea with Trevoh Chalobah. Loaned to a series of clubs the past few seasons to aid his development. He looked ready today.

Meanwhile we have reserves like AMN, Nketiah, Balogun, Reiss Nelson, Azeez (and more) who are rotting away on our subs bench. Players not ready for even the first team squad yet...

Shambles...
Great point Chelsea, despite the billions are an excellently run club.

Latest posts

Top Bottom