• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Folarin Balogun: Balogone

Is he better than Lacazette?

• Total voters

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Look at the market these days first it's inflated if he scores 20 goals in top level league plus the availability of good Strikers around Europe is beyond joke we'll get good fee definitely more than 25M.
First of all he is not gonna score 20 goals. Not many players in ligue 1 do. Secondly Balugon is not a huge talent. This won’t continue. The fact that you already thinking of selling a player that has 20 goals in ligue 1 and not think he can be useful here says it all

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Me either tbh haha.

I dunno, think we've had this discussion before, I think everything can be improved to some extent but usually not quite to the extent people think. But things related to confidence like composure maybe can be improved more...though I guess I agree that there are certain players whose quality on the ball and composure with it you can't teach and those lacking it who will never have it. Dunno.

I think the hardest things to teach might be teaching someone to be a natural central midfielder or a natural 9 or a natural CB. Those things you either are or you aren't, IMO, you have it in your DNA from your automatisms since before you had a single hair on your balls.
Yeah I guess you can teach it but the fact he’s already showing it so early into his loan and career is a big positive.

Maybe a player you teach to be composed will remember their lessons 9/10 times but take a rash shot when the pressure is very very high.

TornadoTed

Established Member
When you see how the youngsters talk about seeking advice from the likes of Laca and David Luiz it hits home how lacking we are in experience and shows why Xhaka has become as influential as he is in the dressing room.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
When you see how the youngsters talk about seeking advice from the likes of Laca and David Luiz it hits home how lacking we are in experience and shows why Xhaka has become as influential as he is in the dressing room.
Not really. Each of those players could be really influential and really good personalities. Just because they make mistakes or are not at the level of Bergkamp, Adams and Vieira doesn't mean they can't offer good advice.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The club should be doing what City and Chelsea have mastered. If Balogun and/or Tavares have impressive seasons, cash in with a buy back. Tavares has Tierney and Zinchenko ahead of him and Balogun has Jesus and Nketiah ahead of him.

£20m for each and either a sell on or buy back is good, assuming they carry on this form obviously.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The club should be doing what City and Chelsea have mastered. If Balogun and/or Tavares have impressive seasons, cash in with a buy back. Tavares has Tierney and Zinchenko ahead of him and Balogun has Jesus and Nketiah ahead of him.

£20m for each and either a sell on or buy back is good, assuming they carry on this form obviously.
What if Tavares comes back better than KT and Flo comes back better than Eddie?

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

What if Tavares comes back better than KT and Flo comes back better than Eddie?
Don’t see us selling either Tierney or Nketiah. Probably get more for Tavares and Balogun as well if they have good loans.

Doubt we sell either anyway though, probably bring both back to see out their contracts.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Not really. Each of those players could be really influential and really good personalities. Just because they make mistakes or are not at the level of Bergkamp, Adams and Vieira doesn't mean they can't offer good advice.
You misunderstand me totally. I was saying that Laca and Luiz have often been spoken of very highly by our younger players. I was praising them and them leaving doesn't leave many experienced heads in the dressing room. We have lost a lot of leadership and personality over the last couple of years by reducing the age of the squad, having Xhaka around is more important than ever and it's easy to see why he has become so influential.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You misunderstand me totally. I was saying that Laca and Luiz have often been spoken of very highly by our younger players. I was praising them and them leaving doesn't leave many experienced heads in the dressing room. Having Xhaka around is more important than ever.
Sorry I thought you were saying it in a negative way that if those young players looked up to the likes or Luiz and Laca it's no surprise they buy into Xhakas leadership style. Apologies.

bergholt

Exactly, I'm terrible at work but I'm really good at advising other people to be better than me

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

BALOGUN REVEALS ARTETA’S CHALLENGE BEFORE REIMS MOVE​

PlayersLoan playersMen
@AAllenSport
September 21, 2022

Folarin Balogun says his decision to join French side Reims was a response to Mikel Arteta’s challenge to use this season to ‘develop as a man’.
Approached by clubs at home and abroad, the England under-21 international took the path less travelled by opting for an adventure in Ligue 1 and has, so far, impressed with five goals in six league starts.
His decision to cross the Channel certainly got Thierry Henry’s attention, who told Amazon Prime Video in France: “When I heard he was coming to France, it made me think he has a refreshing mindset.
Back in England for international duty with the Young Lions, Balogun reflected on how the latest stage of his career is going.
“Before I moved, Mikel (Arteta) just wanted me to develop as a man,” he said.
“It was kind of like an open answer and it was for me to interpret what he meant by ‘develop as a man’.
“By moving abroad, I’m starting to learn what he meant by that. It doesn’t just mean on the pitch but also off the pitch. I think by the time I go back I’ll be in a better place to compete than I was before I left.”
While things are going well on the pitch, the striker admits his real challenge over the coming months will be to learn French so that he can better integrate with his teammates.
“I think it’s very important to just throw yourself in at the deep end, as I’m trying to do, and hopefully I don’t drown.
“Pretty much every training session there’s something I’m confused about so I’ve got to ask a lot of questions, I’ve got to pick up on key words and that’s how I’m learning the language at the moment.
“Just asking questions and, if I’m not sure on something, trying to remember phrases I’ve heard before.
“If you sit on the edge, it will take longer to understand things. I’m still learning the language. I’m going to be learning it for a long time.
“It’s difficult but I’m trying my best to integrate myself with everyone. The (French) lessons are once a week for an hour. I tried to do a bit longer but it started to give me a headache.
“You actually need it a lot, because there are maybe only three English-speaking people at the club. The players just speak French.”
Balogun is still keeping an eye on what’s going on at Arsenal and was pleased to see a fellow academy graduate make their debut at the weekend. It turns out the attacker was already familiar with 15-year-old Ethan Nwaneri.
In an interview with Sky Sports, he revealed: “I noticed he trained with us a few times. I spoke to the ’18’s manager. He told me that ‘he’s a really good player’ and he said that ‘he has a bright future’.
“I definitely had an eye out for him, then it was just really good to see making his debut. You hope that he can carry on impressing and staying in the first team.
“There have been a lot of players in the past who have kicked on really early. The likes of Reiss Nelson and Bukayo (Saka). They made their first team really early.
“Bukayo I think made his debut at 17. I am sure Arsenal have a plan for him. I am sure if he keeps his head down and works hard, then he will see through that.”

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

PlayersLoan playersMen
@AAllenSport
September 21, 2022

Folarin Balogun says his decision to join French side Reims was a response to Mikel Arteta’s challenge to use this season to ‘develop as a man’.
Approached by clubs at home and abroad, the England under-21 international took the path less travelled by opting for an adventure in Ligue 1 and has, so far, impressed with five goals in six league starts.
His decision to cross the Channel certainly got Thierry Henry’s attention, who told Amazon Prime Video in France: “When I heard he was coming to France, it made me think he has a refreshing mindset.
Back in England for international duty with the Young Lions, Balogun reflected on how the latest stage of his career is going.
“It was kind of like an open answer and it was for me to interpret what he meant by ‘develop as a man’.
“By moving abroad, I’m starting to learn what he meant by that. It doesn’t just mean on the pitch but also off the pitch. I think by the time I go back I’ll be in a better place to compete than I was before I left.”
While things are going well on the pitch, the striker admits his real challenge over the coming months will be to learn French so that he can better integrate with his teammates.
“I think it’s very important to just throw yourself in at the deep end, as I’m trying to do, and hopefully I don’t drown.
“Pretty much every training session there’s something I’m confused about so I’ve got to ask a lot of questions, I’ve got to pick up on key words and that’s how I’m learning the language at the moment.
“Just asking questions and, if I’m not sure on something, trying to remember phrases I’ve heard before.
“If you sit on the edge, it will take longer to understand things. I’m still learning the language. I’m going to be learning it for a long time.
“It’s difficult but I’m trying my best to integrate myself with everyone. The (French) lessons are once a week for an hour. I tried to do a bit longer but it started to give me a headache.
“You actually need it a lot, because there are maybe only three English-speaking people at the club. The players just speak French.”
Balogun is still keeping an eye on what’s going on at Arsenal and was pleased to see a fellow academy graduate make their debut at the weekend. It turns out the attacker was already familiar with 15-year-old Ethan Nwaneri.
In an interview with Sky Sports, he revealed: “I noticed he trained with us a few times. I spoke to the ’18’s manager. He told me that ‘he’s a really good player’ and he said that ‘he has a bright future’.
“I definitely had an eye out for him, then it was just really good to see making his debut. You hope that he can carry on impressing and staying in the first team.
“There have been a lot of players in the past who have kicked on really early. The likes of Reiss Nelson and Bukayo (Saka). They made their first team really early.
“Bukayo I think made his debut at 17. I am sure Arsenal have a plan for him. I am sure if he keeps his head down and works hard, then he will see through that.”
Was just coming to post that.

You can already see how Nketiah has turned into a man in a quite short time. He doesn't have that too much complaining attitude that you still see with Bruno Fernandes for example.

Moving abroad will surely grow him, and Balogun always seemed to be mentally a bit further to me than Nketiah.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

PlayersLoan playersMen
@AAllenSport
September 21, 2022

No harm to him all that is excellent but come on 1 hours French class a week? A headache? The amount of free time footballers have he could dedicate abit more to it and take a few paracetamol lol.

Uncle Good-Advice

No harm to him all that is excellent but come on 1 hours French class a week? A headache? The amount of free time footballers have he could dedicate abit more to it and take a few paracetamol lol.
I guess that highlights the importance of player's agent and his guidance through the early stages of football career. Or lack of it in this instance because that's ridiculous statement. Ok, maybe Balogun is not a linguistic genius and he probably knows that he's at Reims just for a season that's why he's taking it easy but in reality it's in his best interest to show maturity, ambition and willingness to learn also off the pitch while on loan. You never know where you're going to play throughout your career and leaving good impression in Ligue 1 may be helpful financially when he, inevitably, part ways with Arsenal.

Top Bottom