• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Leaks: European Super League + more

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
This super league won't help make clubs better on the pitch.

It will actually make some clubs worse, on the pitch and off.

These top clubs may be the top dogs in their domestic leagues, but once they play in an international top league they suddenly might find themselves ending up in midtable or even down at the bottom of such a league - and that will significantly alter their public perception and standing - and in the end attraction and value.

In England, Chelsea is a title contender, in a Super League Chelsea might become a midtable club and fans won't care if the league is harder or more prestigious. If you end up in the middle or at the bottom, you're not the best, doesn't matter if it's in a domestic league or in an international "super" league. And a league system will actually have a magnifying effect on teams' intl shortcomings more so than the CL - if you're **** in the CL you can still have a good season in the league, if the CL is gone and the domestic league, too, and suddenly you find yourself sitting in 12th in your only competition...oh boy. How can you still call yourself a top club...?

Think some clubs don't realize they're playing with fire here and that in how the football world works right now, this league will only help those who consistently win and have the most money, which is why Barca, Real and Bayern love the idea. This will only make top football even more elitist and more of an oligarchy - now we have two to four top clubs from the top leagues in Europe, a super league like this would narrow that down to an internal top 4 or 6 who would then become the biggest profiteers, leaving behind the rest of the once big clubs.

Furthermore, killing the national leagues by withdrawing the best clubs will cause so much harm to how football works. On the other hand, maybe if all the rich **** ****s off to a league of their own, we can enjoy genuine football again.

Last edited:

natural

Established Member
This will happen eventually, and it will change football forever just like how the CL changed football when it was initiated.
I think if this is going to happen then there should be a plan to stop it in case the negatives are more than the psoitives. I mean we have been playing in the domestic league forever. T won’t be bad to move to a better league temporarily, before the superleague is canceled and each team gets back where they belong. These are just my wishes.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
if this happens, I for one will switch allegiance to another club - I am already fed up with the way TV rights are distorting the beautiful game

we now have a situation where, just like Formula One, only one of a handful of clubs can hope to finish at or near the top of the PL - fans of clubs outside the charmed circle can only dream of their club being bought by a rich sugar daddy, so it too can rise to the top

true competition will only be restored if a day comes when many clubs are owned by foreign oligarchs, and who wants that? I envy the fans of lower league clubs who can still go to matches at their local stadium and cheer on the team they have supported all their lives as part of their regular Saturday routine, just like football used to be for everyone

Football is old and stagnated game but the ideas floating around doesn't make me confident it will get better. Esports might take over in next 20-30 years.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think the strength of football in this country is that almost every town has a professional team. It honestly is one of the few remaining outlets for community pride.

The journeys that teams like Burnley and Bournemouth have gone on to make it to the highest tier of English football would be irrelevant. Just another barrier for the smaller clubs to get over.

say yes

forum master baiter
I don't like it but this would work by the way. American leagues have set the blueprint for what is planned here.

If you get all the top clubs in the same league then (in terms of both finance and prestige) the domestic leagues won't be able to come close to competing for the top talents.

If there's no outside competition for players then you can cap wages. What does a wage cap mean?

1. The clubs are all financially equal = equally competitive = great product and tv. The select clubs who join this group will (in effect) remain the top clubs for ever. No more fears about sugar daddy clubs / being left behind.

2. Club football's huge revenue streams will stop going to the players through wage inflation = huge profits for owners like Kroenke, Glazer etc.

Losers will be the players (bye bye crazy wage inflation), the atmosphere/fans (bye bye fun away games) and of course the domestic leagues & every club not invited (bye bye Sp**s being relevant).

I would hate this but it would work and at least we're included.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
TV money.

Pretty soon, we might have teams with no home ground.

I'm sure they're gonna keep a few slots open for teams who can pay enough moolah.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I can honestly see them trying to playing some of these games in the U.S or maybe in Asia.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
TV money.

Pretty soon, we might have teams with no home ground.

I'm sure they're gonna keep a few slots open for teams who can pay enough moolah.
Hit the nail on the head there. If games are on tv and in exotic locations there is no point in owning a stadium which you might sell (in the case of Arsenal) for close to £1 billion pounds.

Think how many ranches the lovely Stan could buy with that moolah!

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I don't like it but this would work by the way. American leagues have set the blueprint for what is planned here.

If you get all the top clubs in the same league then (in terms of both finance and prestige) the domestic leagues won't be able to come close to competing for the top talents.

If there's no outside competition for players then you can cap wages. What does a wage cap mean?

1. The clubs are all financially equal = equally competitive = great product and tv. The select clubs who join this group will (in effect) remain the top clubs for ever. No more fears about sugar daddy clubs / being left behind.

2. Club football's huge revenue streams will stop going to the players through wage inflation = huge profits for owners like Kroenke, Glazer etc.

Losers will be the players (bye bye crazy wage inflation), the atmosphere/fans (bye bye fun away games) and of course the domestic leagues & every club not invited (bye bye Sp**s being relevant).

I would hate this but it would work and at least we're included.

So it would kill fandom, domestic heritage and the money saved at player wages will not in some way benefit smaller clubs but go straight into the pockets of owners? No thank you.

But I definitely can see why especially rich clubs without sugar daddys love this idea. It puts more revenue into their clubs while putting a cap on the spending of City etc.

Plus obviously this:

I think the strength of football in this country is that almost every town has a professional team. It honestly is one of the few remaining outlets for community pride.

The journeys that teams like Burnley and Bournemouth have gone on to make it to the highest tier of English football would be irrelevant. Just another barrier for the smaller clubs to get over.

It completely disregards the social/communal bedding and dimension of football for a purely economic gain. It's a capitalist football vision. It's really a push from non owner big clubs to stay in touch with sugar daddy clubs.

Last edited:

samshere

Why so serieuse?
It won't happen at the expense of domestic leagues, if thats what they're trying to do. But it could work as a replacement to the current format of the CL/EL. Its stupid that only the top four are taken into the CL from England when the teams finishing 5th and 6th are better than the majority of teams qualifying for the CL.

Malky

Established Member
This will completely ruin the domestic league, no club outside the ones chosen for the Super-league will have any chance of reaching that status. The Premier League will be no more prestigious than the SPL because BT and Sky won't be offering big money for the TV rights when their star fixtures for the season will be Sp**s vs West Ham or Everton vs Bournemouth.

Although on the positive, Sp**s aren't included and, out of that current group, Man United would finish bottom :lol::lol:

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The problem with franchise league - and this is a franchise in all but name - is that they reflect a snapshot of a point in time and then perpetuate it forever.

It's lucky for us because, hand on heart, our European track record does not merit inclusion in this elite. Ignoring one-offs, you could argue that Forest have a far stronger claim than Arsenal.

And if you put us aside for a moment what do Man City and PSG have other than new money, in European football history terms. How can they be considered as having more pedigree than Ajax, Inter, Benfica, PSV, Hamburg, Feyenoord or Oporto?

All this means is that the owners of these 18 teams would multiply their wealth overnight because anyone wanting to get into the top-level football would have to buy one of them out. Game of Thrones indeed.

Top Bottom