• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Leaks: European Super League + more

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Outside the Internet-World we are calling it "Thievery" what the"Whistleblower" is doing for "Der Spiegel".

Housebreakers are going from house to house, stealing your privat documents and selling it for money. Nice.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I had a feeling it was him
The allegations seem pretty weak after reading the spiegel article. He didn’t report using a medication that is only illegal if you fail to report that you’re using it and he insisted on taking a shower once before taking a test. Lol come on

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Serie A giants Inter Milan and AC Milan are likely to have different paths, once the Super League comes into the picture.

Corriere della Sera state that the Super League is likely to start off in the summer of 2024 and will involve the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and the Ligue 1 and the top teams from there.

The report states that the format will follow an American model and will have eight teams in four groups rather than vice versa- as it is in the UEFA Champions League.

But Inter could risk being out of the competition if they fail to qualify for it in the 2023-24 by whatever the qualification process turns out to be. But due to AC Milan's rich Champions League history, the rossoneri are likely to gain a direct qualification to the competition even if they don't directly qualify.

The next meeting to discuss more about the competition will be held from the 3rd to the 5th of June. And yesterday, Juventus president Andrea Agnelli was in Germany to talk to representatives of German clubs such that they are convinced to join the league because they are not as ready as the other giants.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
This Super League will be an absolute ****show for football as we know it and thus "genuine" fans. Said it in regards to the EL final in Baku, football is being turned into an events sport similar to how a lot of US sports are designed and work, to attract more casual mainstream audiences and bring in even more money.

Germany with its member owned clubs will probably be the staunchest opponent of this, as the consistently high numbers of attendance and the generated atmosphere are their biggest selling points right now. On the other hand there have been attempts to get rid of the 50+1 rule again and again, especially from Hannover boss Martin Kind. German clubs see what you can do with investor cash and no die hard fanbase when they look at Leipzig. Clubs like Dortmund and Gladbach will probably be the ones holding out the longest, as due to their big fanbase and recent success they generate enough revenue in this model - at least to stay competetive in the Bundesliga and get into the CL. But they will eventually succumb to the pressure of other big clubs, 'cause in the end if the Super League comes, would you rather play with the big boys, or waste away because you can't compete financially and don't partake in the most prestigious intl club tournament anymore?

Ironically, the 2006 WC in Germany - the so called Summer Fairytale - probably was a starting point for such event thinking. The German NT did generate interest and attendance, but 2006 was out of bounds. Literally everyone was suddenly "interested" in football, it was the beginning of public viewing as an allround event as we know it today, merchandising sky rocketed because everyone suddenly needed a flag or a kit or whatever. You can't milk "traditional" fans the way you can milk the whole public - the latter already got their kits, the former will run and buy one. You could see how the DFB cranked up their pr work and in 2010 it was basically the same public hype, although the tournament wasn't held in the country; suddenly everyone was wearing a Muller shirt.
FC Bayern with their spread out and timid fanbase is a good example that it can work out for clubs, too. Half of Bayern fans I met don't care about football, they just feel the need to kind of feign interest and have a go to team, so they choose the biggest one. Half of their matchday attendees are event goers.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Who come with these dumb ideas? I mean seriously the CL is fun why trying to ruin it

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
This may be inevitable as wealthy clubs don't like being restrained by FFP restrictions. Arsenal might want to consider this carefully because in such a group of clubs and without the financial restrictions, it would be impossible to compete under a self-sustaining model. On the other hand, they could finish last every year and make more money than they do now.

Arsenal aside, this could actually make the domestic leagues more interesting. Without the rich clubs dominating at the top, the leagues could be quite competitive from top to bottom. If you're a fan of a mid-table or lower club in any of the Top 5 leagues, it could actually be a rather exciting time. When you think about it, the Premier League's Top 6 have largely been something of a mini-league of their own, with all the other clubs striving to either finish in the top half or to avoid relegation. Take City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal out of the equation and it's wide open. Bournemouth could win the league one year, Wolves the next and then Newcastle. Of course the money would suffer and to some extent the quality of play as Super League teams stockpiled players, but with more parity it could be a real horserace.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Not overly keen on this 'super league' idea, just seems a bit elitist and unnecessary with the CL.

Also wonder how much power the PL clubs would and should be asking for, I'll take a guess that the tv rights for the PL are a lot more than any other nations?

I imagine I would still support Arsenal but for me it is one hell of a turn off.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This may be inevitable as wealthy clubs don't like being restrained by FFP restrictions. Arsenal might want to consider this carefully because in such a group of clubs and without the financial restrictions, it would be impossible to compete under a self-sustaining model. On the other hand, they could finish last every year and make more money than they do now.

Arsenal aside, this could actually make the domestic leagues more interesting. Without the rich clubs dominating at the top, the leagues could be quite competitive from top to bottom. If you're a fan of a mid-table or lower club in any of the Top 5 leagues, it could actually be a rather exciting time. When you think about it, the Premier League's Top 6 have largely been something of a mini-league of their own, with all the other clubs striving to either finish in the top half or to avoid relegation. Take City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal out of the equation and it's wide open. Bournemouth could win the league one year, Wolves the next and then Newcastle. Of course the money would suffer and to some extent the quality of play as Super League teams stockpiled players, but with more parity it could be a real horserace.

Tbf I think the PL is still a pretty open league, like you say the top six have dominated recently however we’re only three years removed from Leicester winning it all.

Also some of the top 6 have had fortunes change a lot, in recent years Liverpool finished 8th and 7th, Sp**s a few years before that were in the position an Everton or Wolves were now. They even finished 11th once.

I don’t think this top 6 will go on forever, when I first started watching football, Leeds and Newcastle were established top four teams.

Apart from being good in 2019 what have say Sp**s down to be deserving of a place at Europe’s elite table? Everton and Villa have won far more titles than them, even Huddersfield have more league titles than Sp**s ffs.

The PL would become a feeder league to the Super League, whole English league system which has existed for over a century would become almost obsolete. The American model works for American sports, it would kill football.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Tbf I think the PL is still a pretty open league, like you say the top six have dominated recently however we’re only three years removed from Leicester winning it all.

Also some of the top 6 have had fortunes change a lot, in recent years Liverpool finished 8th and 7th, Sp**s a few years before that were in the position an Everton or Wolves were now. They even finished 11th once.

I don’t think this top 6 will go on forever, when I first started watching football, Leeds and Newcastle were established top four teams.

Apart from being good in 2019 what have say Sp**s down to be deserving of a place at Europe’s elite table? Everton and Villa have won far more titles than them, even Huddersfield have more league titles than Sp**s ffs.

The PL would become a feeder league to the Super League, whole English league system which has existed for over a century would become almost obsolete. The American model works for American sports, it would kill football.

Money has already changed things though. What clubs have done historically is no longer relevant in that respect. I actually alluded to the domestic leagues become a so-called "feeder league" at the end when I "the money would suffer and to some extent the quality of play as Super League teams stockpiled players." But that's exactly why the league would be more competitive. The Premier League would no longer be so massively about money as it is now.

Sp**s, apparently, would not even be in the Super League, according to the original leaked documents, so there's no worry about them being part of the elite over Everton or Aston Villa (although, again, the Super League is about money, not history).

Also, I fail to see how the formation of a European Super League would force an American model on the English football system. It would go on exactly as it has before, minus the five richest clubs. But with clubs no longer trying to keep up with the Manchester Cities and Liverpools, there would be less pressure to spend and likely more parity in the top half of the table. Domestic clubs would not be competing against the European giants, but only among themselves.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Money has already changed things though. What clubs have done historically is no longer relevant in that respect. I actually alluded to the domestic leagues become a so-called "feeder league" at the end when I "the money would suffer and to some extent the quality of play as Super League teams stockpiled players." But that's exactly why the league would be more competitive. The Premier League would no longer be so massively about money as it is now.

Sp**s, apparently, would not even be in the Super League, according to the original leaked documents, so there's no worry about them being part of the elite over Everton or Aston Villa (although, again, the Super League is about money, not history).

Also, I fail to see how the formation of a European Super League would force an American model on the English football system. It would go on exactly as it has before, minus the five richest clubs. But with clubs no longer trying to keep up with the Manchester Cities and Liverpools, there would be less pressure to spend and likely more parity in the top half of the table. Domestic clubs would not be competing against the European giants, but only among themselves.

No I meant an American model would apply to the Super League. Didn’t make that clear.

Yeah I do agree with you in most of it, I just worry that the lower leagues especially who are already struggling with so much of the focus towards top 6 clubs will be dealt a terminal blow.

Especially when all the inevitable TV money is focused on the Super League.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Arsenal aside, this could actually make the domestic leagues more interesting. Without the rich clubs dominating at the top, the leagues could be quite competitive from top to bottom.

It's where football, its fans and tradition will survive. There won't ever be intl competitions for most of these clubs anymore, but it'll be a neat little competition. Kind of like the 2nd divisions are now, I suppose.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
No I meant an American model would apply to the Super League. Didn’t make that clear.

Yeah I do agree with you in most of it, I just worry that the lower leagues especially who are already struggling with so much of the focus towards top 6 clubs will be dealt a terminal blow.

Especially when all the inevitable TV money is focused on the Super League.

Ah, OK. I thought when you were saying the English system would become almost obsolete that you were alluding to the American model you mentioned in the next sentence. Probably my own misreading more than you being unclear.

Sure, the enormous TV money would go to the Super League, but I think taking money out of the Premier League is exactly what would make it more competitive. As it stands, only a handful of clubs have a realistic hope of ever becoming champions. I don't even see Leicester City's Cinderella run being repeated because there's just too much money accumulated at the top.

In some ways FFP has entrenched the very clubs it was meant to rein in because owners of the other clubs can't do it the way Chelsea and City did it and without being among the elite clubs they have no chance of getting in on the sponsorship gravy train. By getting rid of the five richest clubs, the playing field becomes level again. It would be more like things were before the Premier League (which was all about money). Maybe the quality would be closer to Championship level than to the Super League, but the parity would make things interesting.

Now don't get me wrong. I think the whole idea of this Super League is unsavory. But it also may be inevitable because the rich clubs will do what they want and the more UEFA slaps their hands for trying to get around the system the more they'll want to get out from under UEFA's hand. But there is good and bad to come from almost anything and I think there's a good chance of more parity in domestic leagues with the giant clubs taken out of the equation. There will still be richer and poorer clubs. There always have been. But the rush to try to keep up with the giant clubs won't be there.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
It's where football, its fans and tradition will survive. There won't ever be intl competitions for most of these clubs anymore, but it'll be a neat little competition. Kind of like the 2nd divisions are now, I suppose.

Exactly. Well, there might still be international competitions, but those competitions would no longer include the Real Madrids and Manchester Cities. But it would be closer to the days before money took a stranglehold on the game.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
lol i mean Champions league and Europa league are enough and suited for all european nations why they trying hard to destroy this,

8 teams in group and 48 teams :lol:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom