• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football leaks: Mourinho, Ronaldo and Mendes involved in tax evasion scandal?

Oh_Snap

Lock them all up, greedy bastards, they can afford to pay tax and still be multi millionaires so no excuses for dodging it. We pay it, so should they! That includes any Arsenal player involved.

From what i read so far Özil did nothing really illegal, had to pay 2mio & 700k fee which he already did 2 years ago. Sensationalism at it's best. I'll try to get the SPIEGEL on monday and see what they got on him and will post here.

It's just rich coming from newspapers that have amazon / starbucks / apple ads on their pages who owe the tax-payers billions (!) instead of millions.

carlito'sway

Established Member
From what i read so far Özil did nothing really illegal, had to pay 2mio & 700k fee which he already did 2 years ago. Sensationalism at it's best. I'll try to get the SPIEGEL on monday and see what they got on him and will post here.

It's just rich coming from newspapers that have amazon / starbucks / apple ads on their pages who owe the tax-payers billions (!) instead of millions.

What a straw man argument......:rolleyes:

Oh_Snap

What a straw man argument......:rolleyes:

I didn't say they shouldn't publish it, it's their duty to the public to make things like this public. BUT if he really only did what they wrote in their teaser (article is behind a paywall), which was basically nothing, it's just using Özils fame (most popular german footballer) to sell some copies while they still hold their hand open for money that should be going to taxpayers.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I didn't say they shouldn't publish it, it's their duty to the public to make things like this public. BUT if he really only did what they wrote in their teaser (article is behind a paywall), which was basically nothing, it's just using Özils fame (most popular german footballer) to sell some copies while they still hold their hand open for money that should be going to taxpayers.

At least 12 different sites are publishing the investigations. If Der Spieger i behind a pay wall, just look for the other legitimate sources.
Since Özil is paying close to a million in penalty, it is clearly because he has done something wrong, period.
I don't even get what you are trying to say in your last sentence. So, they should say no to advertising money because some of these corporations have allegedly cheated the system? Jesus, what sort of logic is that? o_O

Oh_Snap

Since Özil is paying close to a million in penalty, it is clearly because he has done something wrong, period.
I don't even get what you are trying to say in your last sentence. So, they should say no to advertising money because some of these corporations have allegedly cheated the system? Jesus, what sort of logic is that? o_O

If they publish somehting on tax-frauds but on the other hand hold their hand open for companies that dodge billions in taxes its hypocracy at it's best. If you don't understand that "logic" .. i dont get what's not to get there, maybe you can elaborate.

Unlike Neymar f.e. Özil didn't get a criminal proceeding. People get crazy cuz it's in the millions but it's just "normal" if you earn a lot and you have to pay a tax back payment it'll be in the millions. That beeing said, i'm really unhappy he's greedy like that because behaviour like this destroys societys and i really thought he's one of the good guys :/

carlito'sway

Established Member
If they publish somehting on tax-frauds but on the other hand hold their hand open for companies that dodge billions in taxes its hypocracy at it's best. If you don't understand that "logic" .. i dont get what's not to get there, maybe you can elaborate.

Unlike Neymar f.e. Özil didn't get a criminal proceeding. People get crazy cuz it's in the millions but it's just "normal" if you earn a lot and you have to pay a tax back payment it'll be in the millions. That beeing said, i'm really unhappy he's greedy like that because behaviour like this destroys societys and i really thought he's one of the good guys :/

As I said, straw man argument. Does not make any sense whatsoever in the context.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I agree, governments are weak not to stand up to the big companies who are getting away with legal tax avoidance. The UK are missing out on millions of pounds of taxes from these huge companies but you have to blame the Gov, not the companies. These loop holes are there to be used by the wealthy and they should be shut but the gov wont do it. I despise The Mail and many other newspapers but legal tax avoidance and illegal tax evasion are two different things.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I agree, governments are weak not to stand up to the big companies who are getting away with legal tax avoidance. The UK are missing out on millions of pounds of taxes from these huge companies but you have to blame the Gov, not the companies. These loop holes are there to be used by the wealthy and they should be shut but the gov wont do it. I despise The Mail and many other newspapers but legal tax avoidance and illegal tax evasion are two different things.
But some of these loopholes are there for ligitimate reasons and the government can't shut them.

No-one wants charities to have to pay tax. So the rich find ways to set up charities, maybe give some away and use running costs to pay themselves.

No -one wants people who do business here but live in other countries to pay their tax twice otherwise they won't come. So the rich buy a homes in other countries and become non domiciled.

The bottom line is if you have a set of circumstances where people don't need to pay tax for legitimate reasons, the rich will find ways of piggy backing those rules. It's like a never ending game of catch me if you can where the authorities close one door and the rich open another.

Humans are somewhat intelligent, and when it comes to greed, incredibly ingenious and go to extraordinary lengths.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I have just as much contempt for the tax authorities as I do for the actual dodgers themselves. Toothless, the lot of them. Happy to hammer your run of the mill individual but when up against an extremely wealthy individual or big corporation it's "nothing to see here folks"

I cringe when Western countries cry about budget deficits where with a few strokes of pens, they could funnel billions, and in some cases trillions of dollars back into their coffers by being tough on these corporations.
Look at Ireland. The EU made apple pay 13 billion in tax and the Irish government doesn't want it.

I can't dodge tax and footballers should be the same. And corporations. Hope someone goes to jail.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Look at Ireland. The EU made apple pay 13 billion in tax and the Irish government doesn't want it.

I can't dodge tax and footballers should be the same. And corporations. Hope someone goes to jail.

Would love to see Mendes getting caught in this mess. He is toxic. Hopefully, this whole agent mafia will be dismantle as well.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

FIFA could make **** like Mendes insignificant if they capped agent fees to a maximum amount based on transfer fee.

I would make it like most Western tax systems, marginal rates based on transfer fees.

carlito'sway

Established Member
FIFA could make **** like Mendes insignificant if they capped agent fees to a maximum amount based on transfer fee.

I would make it like most Western tax systems, marginal rates based on transfer fees.

You said FIFA though.....A bunch of racketeers themselves.....

carlito'sway

Established Member
Here is the Tollin "headquarters"in the Virgin Islands. Tollin is Cristiano Ronaldo (shell) company in charge of his marketing rights. The "office" is the upstairs address, like a number of other shell companies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom