• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Literature

raidersoftheark

Established Member
I've been interested for a while now in reading about the sport by top managers and strategists. Essentially footballing philosophies and books on strategies and such. Any recommendations? Please no Fever Pitch or autobiographies, while they may be worthwile I want something a little richer.

Anzac

Established Member
raidersoftheark said:
I've been interested for a while now in reading about the sport by top managers and strategists. Essentially footballing philosophies and books on strategies and such. Any recommendations? Please no Fever Pitch or autobiographies, while they may be worthwile I want something a little richer.

Have a lok at 'Inverting The Pyramid' and then 'Brilliant Orange' is supposed to be good as well.

Check out the thread on "The Making of a Modern Super Club" in the DVD/Games forum = there are a few others mentioned there as well.

DREVAK

Established Member
Wouldn't this be better of in the DVD, games etc. section? Anyway you could go for books recommended for the UEFA licenses if it really is the technical, serious stuff you are looking for. Just don't expect it to be even remotely interesting unless you want to become a coach.

ibby

Established Member
Anzac said:
Have a lok at 'Inverting The Pyramid' and then 'Brilliant Orange' is supposed to be good as well.

Check out the thread on "The Making of a Modern Super Club" in the DVD/Games forum = there are a few others mentioned there as well.

What I came in to say. Written by the brilliant Jonathan Wilson. If you want a taste, below is his page on the Guardian website, some great articles if you have the time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/jonathanwilson

raidersoftheark

Established Member
Haha, I'm reading Behind the Curtain now. Interesting read.

Surely Klausy has read a book or two? Woher sind sie, herr Daimler. (and yes, I know that's german).

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Aye, Behind the Curtain is a good read. Wilson is a real gem.

"The Ball is Round" by David Goldblatt is probably the best 992 pages I've ever seen written about football as a political, social and cultural phenomenon though.

Another mandatory book for any Arsenal fan is "Arsénal: The Making of a Modern Super Club". Alex Fynn is one of the best football analysts I've ever read, and he's got practically unlimited insight in the club. That book should constitute the basis for any financial discussion regarding Arsenal's whereabouts for the past seven or eight years.

AshburtonGhost

I just finished reading ‘Arsénal: The Making of a Modern Super Club’, Klaus. I particularly liked how Fynn constructively debated the positives and negatives of certain aspects of Wenger’s managerial approach – something many of us (me included) could try to do more often. It was a great read and one that I’d recommend as a must for any Arsenal fan.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Another mandatory book for any Arsenal fan is "Arsénal: The Making of a Modern Super Club". Alex Fynn is one of the best football analysts I've ever read, and he's got practically unlimited insight in the club. That book should constitute the basis for any financial discussion regarding Arsenal's whereabouts for the past seven or eight years.
How is Fynn's Heroes and Villains? The one about the 1990-91 season focusing on us and The ****, with two players on the cover, and the one who ended up having the lesser battle with alcohol was Tony Adams.

Is there a better book about the NLD?

Brilliant Orange author David Winner said in the book that he's an Arsenal fan. So has John Foot, who wrote Winning At All Costs: A Scandalous History of Italian Soccer -- although I think its British title is Calcio: A History of Italian Football. Both books are fascinating, and I learned more about the countries involved, never mind the way they think about football, than in anything else I've ever read.

Has anybody read A Different Corner, Richard Brentnall's book about football in Spain? Would you recommend it?

tam1886

Established Member
I got "Arsénal: The Making of a Modern Super Club" for my birthday a week or so ago but I haven't got around to reading it yet. I'm still going through one on the history of Highbury, I think by Bruce Smith, which is also quite good. Looking forward to finishing this one then getting started on Fynn's book.

ibby

Established Member
Bought 'Calcio', 'Brilliant Orange' and 'Football Against The Enemy' today.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
ibby said:
Bought 'Calcio', 'Brilliant Orange' and 'Football Against The Enemy' today.
I highly recommend all 3, especially the last. Although I would not recommend the similarly-titled Soccer Against the State unless you're a serious leftist. As in a Che Guevara fan.

Be warned, though, Calcio is long. Well worth it, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom