• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Manager 2008.

invisibleman18

Established Member
Has anyone ever used 'FM Genie Scout'?
Just come across its existence so was wondering how people have found it and if it's worth trying out.

invisibleman18

Established Member
Just had a look at it. Don't think I'll use it too much as it's sort of cheating, and your scouts in the game are quite good anyway. However it does seem very good for viewing the potential ability of your own youngsters and seeing who is worth grooming and who the dead wood is.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
invisibleman18 said:
Has anyone ever used 'FM Genie Scout'?
Just come across its existence so was wondering how people have found it and if it's worth trying out.

que?

What is it?

invisibleman18

Established Member
Google it.
It's a piece of scouting software some guy has written that allows you to search players and staff and view the hidden attributes that you can't see in the game. Most useful is the potential ability and potential attributes (ie, crossing is 14 now but can become 19 in the future) so you can see which youngsters are likely to become great players in the game, and which are not likely to improve much from what they already are. It seems a really useful tool to see which of your own youngsters have the chance to make it and which will probably never be up to it. Cheating really though.

Anzac

Established Member
Just starting a new game (again) as AFC. Going to play 4312 with a central holding DMC in a flat 3 man midfield.

Have bought Mertesecker(sp) for 17.5m and Riquelme from Boca for a tad under 10m, along with Jiminez(sp) for 2.5m to join next season after his loan period finishes. I've also signed the kids like Ramsey, Pjanic & Coquelin in the Youth team. I'm also going to have a go at converting Kolo to a DM to take over from Bert & use Djourou as my 3rd CB behind Mertesecker & Gallas.

I'm looking at Ade & Eduardo as my strikers with RVP covering off the bench, with Hleb covering Riquleme, Rosicky for Cesc, Kolo for Bert & Diaby for Flamini. I've stuck with Jens & Al as 'keepers.

entropy13

Established Member
I've started a new Arsenal game as well. But I have made edits with the db. All Arsenal transfers will be happening by June 2008 in the game, so Nasri and others will be joining by that time and Flamini and others will be leaving. I adjusted the budget as well because of this. I've won all 7 league matches so far, and I'm yet to draw or lose. Won 8-1 on agg. (6-0, 2-1) against AEK to get to the CL group stages. Won 2-0 against Schalke away for the first group game. I've only conceded two goals in the league so far, and have scored 18.

I've sent Almunia and Mannone on loan and bought Frey. Djourou and Gilbert are also on loan. I bought Zapater, Coloccini and a bunch of Brazilian youngsters, some of which I've sent on loan to Salamanca.

Anzac

Established Member
entropy13 said:
I've started a new Arsenal game as well. But I have made edits with the db. All Arsenal transfers will be happening by June 2008 in the game, so Nasri and others will be joining by that time and Flamini and others will be leaving. I adjusted the budget as well because of this. I've won all 7 league matches so far, and I'm yet to draw or lose. Won 8-1 on agg. (6-0, 2-1) against AEK to get to the CL group stages. Won 2-0 against Schalke away for the first group game. I've only conceded two goals in the league so far, and have scored 18.

I've sent Almunia and Mannone on loan and bought Frey. Djourou and Gilbert are also on loan. I bought Zapater, Coloccini and a bunch of Brazilian youngsters, some of which I've sent on loan to Salamanca.

What formation are you using????
I'm doing my usual mucking around in pre-season games adjusting the settings etc - won the first 2 easily enough on my attacking settings 3-0 (Bendtner hat-trick) & 5-0 (Ade 2, Riquelme 2 - 3 assists MOTM, Toure).

Josh23

For what it's worth, I've never found anything that works better than variations on 3-1-1-3-2, with three centre backs, a dm, a cm, an am, and two strikers - it makes little difference where the other two midfielders go, although I find that also as central attacking midfielders helps. Depending on how strong the goalkeeper is, can get rid of the DM for an extra striker. Then go fairly direct, and about one notch off all-out attack. That said, I also think that tactics make far less difference than good scouting and good transfer dealings. The only way to win FM consistently is to make your club the richest.

Anzac

Established Member
Josh23 said:
For what it's worth, I've never found anything that works better than variations on 3-1-1-3-2, with three centre backs, a dm, a cm, an am, and two strikers - it makes little difference where the other two midfielders go, although I find that also as central attacking midfielders helps. Depending on how strong the goalkeeper is, can get rid of the DM for an extra striker. Then go fairly direct, and about one notch off all-out attack. That said, I also think that tactics make far less difference than good scouting and good transfer dealings. The only way to win FM consistently is to make your club the richest.

What level clubs have you used it with?
How do you utilise the various roles / positions?
A flat back 3 / 2 CBs & SW / outer CBs with sarrows to cover the flanks?
Where do you get your width - WBs / MR/L / AMR/L - although the part I've put in bold sounds like a 3-1-3-1-2 with 3 CMs across the middle???
Passing thru' the middle as you have no width?
I take it you have most players bar CBs & DM on forward runs?
Direct passing?
High tempo?

I hardly ever use a 442 - I was playing a lot with a 4231 but wasn't happy with the defence of 'the hole' - seems like FM'08 you need someone covering 'the hole' in defence. Have also used 3232 / 532 with 3 CBs (central CB pushing into DM), 2 WBs, 3 MCs (central with farrow into 'the hole'), & 2 strikers.

Josh23

Anzac said:
What level clubs have you used it with?
How do you utilise the various roles / positions?
A flat back 3 / 2 CBs & SW / outer CBs with sarrows to cover the flanks?
Where do you get your width - WBs / MR/L / AMR/L - although the part I've put in bold sounds like a 3-1-3-1-2 with 3 CMs across the middle???
Passing thru' the middle as you have no width?
I take it you have most players bar CBs & DM on forward runs?
Direct passing?
High tempo?

I hardly ever use a 442 - I was playing a lot with a 4231 but wasn't happy with the defence of 'the hole' - seems like FM'08 you need someone covering 'the hole' in defence. Have also used 3232 / 532 with 3 CBs (central CB pushing into DM), 2 WBs, 3 MCs (central with farrow into 'the hole'), & 2 strikers.

I've used variations on this theme through various versions of CM/FM since CM96-97, I think, with pretty much every level from Conference up, in most Euro nations. (God, it's depressing to think how many thousands of hours I've wasted, when you put it like that...)

It doesn't have any width, but that doesn't seem to matter. It seems to work by overloading the attcking area to such an extent that you spend most of the time attacking and almost none defending, and when you do, the three CBs and DM are almost as solid defensively as a normal flat back four.

I always play the 3 CBs flat; seems that you can get away with two and a very defensive DM, as long as the keeper is good enough, but that practically guarantees that they will get a couple of shots on target. You do have to have pacy defenders with good heading, though. I don't see an advantage to having two side arrows on the two outside CBs, because mostly the ball still comes through the middle; when it doesn't, they go wide automatically. The runs are only when you have the ball, so all it would mean is that they run wide every time, then back in, then out again, and so on, which would just tire them out.

I've been using fairly direct play mostly, but I tend to find that the stronger your team, the less it matters. FM08 is so easy to make money in that I haven't spent very long playing with tactics. Always high tempo, and most everyone on forward runs. I find that 3 central midfielders is more defensive, but even then the outer two are on forward runs all the way to the box, and the inner one just to AM.

About the most attacking version looks like this:

GK
CB----CB
----DM----
----CM----
AM-AM-AM
CF-ST-CF

Width comes (to the extent it does) from the AMs and the outer two forwards. I actually find that even with the narrowest settings and absolutely no creative freedom, I can't get them to stay as narrow as I want.

I really think, though, that it's not worth worrying about tactics; as long as your team is strong enough, you'll win whatever the tactics -- and it has to be that strong to be sure of winning the CL.

entropy13

Established Member
It will mostly be some screenshots for this update on my Fiorentina-Italy game.

Fiorentina Transfers:

Current Fiorentina squad:

Current Fiorentina staff:

Results for Fiorentina (as of November 17, 2012):

Serie A league table (as of Novemeber 17, 2012):

Current Italy squad (for friendly v. England):

Anzac

Established Member
I am seriously bummed out. Had to restart my game after having to reconfigure my hard drive. Reloaded the game & then reloaded my prior saved games - all good so far. However now it appears that I can't get past about the 20-30 minute mark in the 1st half of any of my saved games as the game crashes. I've tried it with different saved games at different stages - pre-season / season, and in different game speeds.

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
played this till the 2020 season. coached valencia till 2016 then saw arsenal got relegated so terminated me own contract and signed for them to be their saviour. got promoted back with a squad average of 21. fabregas went to milan for 44M pounds! then i reformated my laptop thank god if not i'll be wasting sh*te time sitting playing this crap for my new semester.

this game, really screws up your time. really, it does.

Anzac

Established Member
just an update - I've had to wipe everything & start from scratch - I can't play any match from any previous games - can do everything else but no matches.......

Latest posts+

Top Bottom