• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Manager 2010

Anzac

Established Member
entropy13 said:
Anzac said:
entrophy - how do you play in windowed mode and is there any advantage to it? I take it that it enables you to minimize the game as in any other windows programe?

Yes it's easier to switch programs when in windowed mode. You don't have to alt+tab your way out. That's why I can post here even when playing.

Great - I'll give it a go when I re-install my game.

I'd bought Annan & Jovetic in the senior team, and a sh*t load of youngsters like Belfodil, Canales, Sandjak, Assulin, Guilavogui & Salaun. Tried to buy Chamakh & Suarez but kept getting out bid by CFC & ManC.

Was playing 433 with RVP as Trequarista up front & AA & Eduardo as Advanced Playmakers on the flanks & had only just started the season - B'ham 3-0 at Home, Fiorentina 2-0 Away, & ManU 1-0 Away - Al had been immense in goal & we'd yet to concede including pre-season. Usually dominated the match stats playing in either Attack mode (Home) or Control (Away), but went with Standard at OT & the possession etc was even except ManU had about 22 shots at goal to my 14.

I'll try Illusion's idea about changing the size of my data base as well - I had all the major European & Sth American Leagues running in view mode but hadn't loaded players from anywhere, but still had Large database selected & 36k of players. It used to be that Belgium & Switzerland were good for players, and I'm guessing that the former Yugoslav area would also be decent if it reflects 'real' like.

gunnerGH

Established Member
entropy13 said:
Illusion said:
gunnerGH said:
How much memory you got if you dont mind me asking?

4GB

We have the same amount of RAM then. Do you play in windowed mode?

Question Stealer! :D

Ive just got a new machine with 6GB of RAM cant wait to get this baby fired up!

Large database and 20 leagues should do it ;-)

entropy13

Established Member
gunnerGH said:

The amount of RAM doesn't really affect performance in FM once you reach past 2GB. It just means that you can do other things and run more programs besides FM. It's the processor speed that will then determine if it'll be faster or slower.

Ever since FM 2009 I'm using large database, around 24-29 leagues, and loading up all players from up to 4 countries.

Anzac

Established Member
entropy13 said:
gunnerGH said:

The amount of RAM doesn't really affect performance in FM once you reach past 2GB. It just means that you can do other things and run more programs besides FM. It's the processor speed that will then determine if it'll be faster or slower.

Ever since FM 2009 I'm using large database, around 24-29 leagues, and loading up all players from up to 4 countries.

what leagues & countries?

Illusion

Established Member
entropy13 said:
We have the same amount of RAM then. Do you play in windowed mode?

Yes, absolutely.

Windowed play is essential for FM, got to do something while it processes. Need to abuse your fellow managers via MSN and browse the web or watch some shows etc. :)

I only play FM networked with a friend at the moment, not that into single player these days.

Haven't played our game in some time, the last season we did finished with me getting to every major final possible and proceeding to lose most of them (gutted). I think I came away with a League and Cup double, when it could have been a quadruple + the Euro Championships.

I've made the CL final four or five seasons in a row now I think, but only won it twice, which is really bothering me. Nothing worse than getting to a final and chucking it away.

Dominating the Premier League though, the last season was quite an easy one, no real rivals able to keep up with me at all.

Oh and the club has embarked on construction of a new 78,000 capacity (bigger than Old Trafford hohoho!) stadium called "The Pearce Arena" (poor name). That has given me some debt to contend with, but if I continue to be so successful I can't see it being any real issue and the new match day revenue should be excellent.

gunnerGH

Established Member
My new machine is a Pentium Dual Core CPU E5300 @ 2.6Ghz with 6GB memory.

How many leagues can i run do you think? For decent/speed performance?

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Illusion said:
Haven't played our game in some time, the last season we did finished with me getting to every major final possible and proceeding to lose most of them (gutted). I think I came away with a League and Cup double, when it could have been a quadruple + the Euro Championships.

I've made the CL final four or five seasons in a row now I think, but only won it twice, which is really bothering me. Nothing worse than getting to a final and chucking it away.

Tell me about it. :lol:

I lost 4 CL finals in a row in Championship Manager 01/02. Didn't play the game again until it became Football Manager about 3 years later. I couldn't take the disappointment.

entropy13

Established Member
Haven't lost a CL Final yet. Maybe because I've only met 2 teams in the finals so far, 6x Real Madrid and once Udinese.

DREVAK

Established Member
It's October 2023 and a new Premier League season is underway. My glorious QPR team the defending champions after winning the league last season as well as between 2019 and 2021. Only in 2022 did the trophy elude me, with Chelsea topping the table by some distance.

Arsenal, Liverpool and United have been languishing in deep midtable territory for the past few years with an odd top six finish or two. Me, Chelsea and City the top dogs for a few years now. Leeds are back up and have survived their first season – barely.

QPR secured a treble in the 2022/23 season, beating Chelsea in the Champions League final at St. James's Park one nil after extra time despite controlling most of the match, and dispatching Arsenal 2:0 in the FA Cup final with no trouble at all.

Both goals courtesy of goal monster Milan Jesic, signed in January that season for 14 million pounds and repaying the high transfer fee by fourteen goals in eleven appearances. Right now (October 2023) he's on nine goals in four matches. Yup. That's him.

I have changed my tactics only very slightly since the Championship days, a holding midfielder in front of a back four, two slightly advanced mids and two wingers, and a lone striker. The game says it's a 4-1-4-1 and I tend to agree, especially now that one of the wingers often plays a slightly deeper role after Zoran Tosic the ultimate winger badass and QPR icon retired.

Speaking of icons and legends, I find myself on the legend list together with defender Nicolas Otamendi – which is unsurprising seeing he has been the club captain and a defensive rock for over a dozen seasons (still is!) – and, uh, Ryan Viala – a regen striker who is very good but I can not comprehend how he got on the legend list, as he is just 23 and closer to being a rotation player rather than a first team regular.

Other club icons include Ricardo Faty, now a long retired midfielder who was instrumental in the promotion campaign and early PL seasons, the aforementioned Zoran Tosic, and Steven Evans, a powerful 25 year old centre forward whose career is very similar to Viala's – a superb (if not as mindblowingly good as Jesic) but not key player. If I played two up front then I suspect they would be amazingly good, Viala the fast, technical dribbler, Evans the hardworking and powerful forward. But Jesic trumps them both, so, well, yeah.

And that's about it. I have got a ton of promising youngsters, and a great way of making massive bucks in selling those who don't develop as well as you would have wanted them to. Some of them do, however, and get a place in the squad. Like these boys: Jamie Harrison, England's superstar, Rui Rei the teenage Brazilian sensation, Italian deep lying playmaker Felice Pantaleoni and, uh, I'm not sure but I think it's Ivan Zvorc the boy who will put Ballack to shame one day.

Actually the left winger I bought for massive bucks when he wasn't much worse than that now (the others I stole at an early age!) from Everton but I just wanted to brag. He has got like a billion assists in his couple of seasons at QPR.

stuart

Established Member
Just popped into this thread, i've actually just took over at QPR, im finding them to be very inconsistent.

Started with Spain just to see who would take me after the World Cup. Finished 3rd in the WC and then took over at QPR in October. It's January now and we're hovering anywhere between 10th and 16th but a good run could see us pushing for a play off (wont happen!)

January now, i've a striker coming in who i dont really want but i need another body. Also hoping that Damien Duff will sign.

Any tips for me Drevak?

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
entropy13 said:
Haven't lost a CL Final yet. Maybe because I've only met 2 teams in the finals so far, 6x Real Madrid and once Udinese.

Wow.

So you have managed to play in 7 Champions League finals in this game while also continuing to play in 15 straight finals in Football Manager 2009.

Now that's some effort. You must obviously not work and have 2 computers set up to play both at once.

Obviously without cheating :lol:

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
DREVAK said:
It's October 2023 and a new Premier League season is underway. My glorious QPR team the defending champions after winning the league last season as well as between 2019 and 2021. Only in 2022 did the trophy elude me, with Chelsea topping the table by some distance.

Arsenal, Liverpool and United have been languishing in deep midtable territory for the past few years with an odd top six finish or two. Me, Chelsea and City the top dogs for a few years now. Leeds are back up and have survived their first season – barely.

QPR secured a treble in the 2022/23 season, beating Chelsea in the Champions League final at St. James's Park one nil after extra time despite controlling most of the match, and dispatching Arsenal 2:0 in the FA Cup final with no trouble at all.

Both goals courtesy of goal monster Milan Jesic, signed in January that season for 14 million pounds and repaying the high transfer fee by fourteen goals in eleven appearances. Right now (October 2023) he's on nine goals in four matches. Yup. That's him.

I have changed my tactics only very slightly since the Championship days, a holding midfielder in front of a back four, two slightly advanced mids and two wingers, and a lone striker. The game says it's a 4-1-4-1 and I tend to agree, especially now that one of the wingers often plays a slightly deeper role after Zoran Tosic the ultimate winger badass and QPR icon retired.

Speaking of icons and legends, I find myself on the legend list together with defender Nicolas Otamendi – which is unsurprising seeing he has been the club captain and a defensive rock for over a dozen seasons (still is!) – and, uh, Ryan Viala – a regen striker who is very good but I can not comprehend how he got on the legend list, as he is just 23 and closer to being a rotation player rather than a first team regular.

Other club icons include Ricardo Faty, now a long retired midfielder who was instrumental in the promotion campaign and early PL seasons, the aforementioned Zoran Tosic, and Steven Evans, a powerful 25 year old centre forward whose career is very similar to Viala's – a superb (if not as mindblowingly good as Jesic) but not key player. If I played two up front then I suspect they would be amazingly good, Viala the fast, technical dribbler, Evans the hardworking and powerful forward. But Jesic trumps them both, so, well, yeah.

And that's about it. I have got a ton of promising youngsters, and a great way of making massive bucks in selling those who don't develop as well as you would have wanted them to. Some of them do, however, and get a place in the squad. Like these boys: Jamie Harrison, England's superstar, Rui Rei the teenage Brazilian sensation, Italian deep lying playmaker Felice Pantaleoni and, uh, I'm not sure but I think it's Ivan Zvorc the boy who will put Ballack to shame one day.

Actually the left winger I bought for massive bucks when he wasn't much worse than that now (the others I stole at an early age!) from Everton but I just wanted to brag. He has got like a billion assists in his couple of seasons at QPR.

I love reading your posts. Good to see you back posting under this thread. Keep me updated. Have you ever thought of doing a Football Manager story on one of their forums?

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
About to start a new game after Uni exams when the World Cup kicks off.

My best mate is an addict like myself, and each year since 2007 we have had long lasting network games and battle it out against each other. Makes it more realistic as there are 2 players going after world class regens, etc.

My friend is taking over Sunderland and i have been given Birmingham. Although he has a stronger squad, i have a rich owner so we are hoping it evens itself out.

I have given myself a 5 year plan, where i expect to be pushing for the top 4 at the end of it. The main aim is not to get carried away with signing players and instead look at making sure i keep hold of the dressing room and slowly integrate more foreign players into the squad.

Just finished writing up a 3 page report on who to scout and what areas to improve in, and providing that i can bring in 3-4 players ahead of the first campaign, i think i may be able to achieve a mid-table result and possibly trump Sunderland.

P_Gunner

After about 5 years at Accrington my file got corrupted so I decided to use QPR. Trying to get Accrington to the premiership was the hardest thing I've ever tried in FM and after 5 years I still found it difficult avoiding relegation in League 1 (got promoted once).

I'm about to begin my 12th season with QPR and I've been pretty successful so far. I've won the league six times in a row (and 6 times in all) and in all those seasons City have usually been second, though Chelsea and United have both been second once. Arsenal usually finish mid table however every now and then they begin to fight for a top 4 place. I've been in the Champions League final 5 times, winning 3 times and losing twice and I pretty much win the community shield every year.

I used to be a big spender but lately I've just been relying on my wonder kids. Every now and then I splash cash on a new player though because it does get a bit boring to me seeing the same names every season. One of the most exciting experiences was seeing two of my Brazillian prospects, Davi and Rafael, grow up. When they played in U-23's it was obvious they were miles ahead of the competition and they were both in the Brazil squad for the 2018 WC when I believe they were 22 and 23. Brazil ended up getting knocked out of the WC after Davi picked up a red.

This is Davi's (deep lying playmaker) and Rafael's (attacking mid) stats
<a class="postlink" href="http://img210.imageshack.us/f/23davi.png/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://img210.imageshack.us/f/23davi.png/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://img686.imageshack.us/f/25rafael.png/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://img686.imageshack.us/f/25rafael.png/</a>

Sam Smith is my main striker and definitely the best regen I've seen in any fm I've played. I got him when he was around 18, first on loan with an option to buy, but I never expected him to turn out this well. Him along with Welbeck are England's star strikers. He scored around 45 goals last season.

<a class="postlink" href="http://img40.imageshack.us/f/2samsmith.png/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://img40.imageshack.us/f/2samsmith.png/</a>

He plays beside Wellington Silva who has also developed really well in the game. At first I used to play a 4-3-3 with Silva on the left, but I couldn't find anyone to fill in that RWF position consistently so even though Wellington scored 39 goals in his best season I decided to go to 4-1-2-1-2, which is when I started getting the best out of Sam Smith.

<a class="postlink" href="http://img4.imageshack.us/f/16wellingtonsilva.png/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://img4.imageshack.us/f/16wellingtonsilva.png/</a>

I generally try to keep hold of all my legends, but sometimes they begin to overstay their welcome a bit. The only one still with me is Richie De Laet who has been with me ever since my very first season at QPR.

I'm thinking about leaving QPR pretty soon at the end of this year or next and begin a harder job, probably the restoration of Arsenal's greatness in the game or a second try at getting Accrington to the premiership.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
P_Gunner said:
After about 5 years at Accrington my file got corrupted so I decided to use QPR. Trying to get Accrington to the premiership was the hardest thing I've ever tried in FM and after 5 years I still found it difficult avoiding relegation in League 1 (got promoted once).

I'm about to begin my 12th season with QPR and I've been pretty successful so far. I've won the league six times in a row (and 6 times in all) and in all those seasons City have usually been second, though Chelsea and United have both been second once. Arsenal usually finish mid table however every now and then they begin to fight for a top 4 place. I've been in the Champions League final 5 times, winning 3 times and losing twice and I pretty much win the community shield every year.

I used to be a big spender but lately I've just been relying on my wonder kids. Every now and then I splash cash on a new player though because it does get a bit boring to me seeing the same names every season. One of the most exciting experiences was seeing two of my Brazillian prospects, Davi and Rafael, grow up. When they played in U-23's it was obvious they were miles ahead of the competition and they were both in the Brazil squad for the 2018 WC when I believe they were 22 and 23. Brazil ended up getting knocked out of the WC after Davi picked up a red.

Wow i enjoyed reading that! Great write up.

Good to see you are looking to move on and try something new. The hardest part is often trying to leave behind a bunch of players you developed and know that some other manager is gaining success from your hard work.

Takes a while to to get use to, but once you win a trophy at your new club the feeling is unbelievable. Definetly worth it.

Seems like you have developed some wonderful players there. Just a few suggestions, have you ever considered playing Davi a little further forward? He has a fantastic engine and long shot as well as a great passing game and i think he would suit seeing the ball more in the final third. The only area he doesn't excel in is creativity, so maybe he might be more suited in a box to box or strict central roll. Just a suggestion.

Also, have you ever considered training Rafael to play as a striker? He has great finishing attributes and composure and only really needs work on his off the ball movement. If he does this, even though he will still be an attacking midfielder, he will probabaly be a bigger attacking threat. I noticed he is yet to score for you this season and for Brazil in 29 caps which is odd considering his stats.

Maybe playing Rafael as a Treqaurista or an Advanced Playmaker with Davi as a more box to box or central midfielder?

As they say though, don't fix what isn't broke and its far to say that your team definetly doesn't need any repairing so ignore my blabbering! :eek:ops:

P_Gunner

Yes Rafael had a bad start to the season but he started picking up. Last season he scored 19 goals and had over 20 assists. I was thinking about using him as a trequista, but after having such a great season I decided against it because like you said, why fix whats not broken.

As for Davi, I never thought of using him as a box to box - it might be worth a try. The only thing is that there is a player I pouched from Barca that I am hoping will soon be good enough to play a CM role for me in a year or two. As for using him as an advanced playmaker, I already have one - though I never posted pictures of him. I only posted pictures of players that I had a large role in developing (and Wellington Silva because of his Arsenal ties) while I purchased my advanced playmaker for about 15m when he was already fully developed (his release clause at Atletico).

One thing I dislike though is that in all my time of using QPR, a good player has never come out of my own youth system. There is one player in my youth system that plays for a premiership team, but his statistics are absolutely horrible. Has anyone here actually had a good regen come up from your youth system? He doesn't have to be world class, just premiership quality.

P_Gunner

Sam Smith wanted to leave my club to find a new challenge. His contract only had 1 year remaining so I sold him to Real Madrid for 45m. Replacing him was very difficult because my team was pretty centered around him. I brought in two replacement strikers but neither striker lived up to my expectation. I spent about a third of the season tweaking tactics trying to get my team to gel without him.

I finished this season second by 1 point (United won), got unluckily knocked out in the semi finals by Barcelona (My GK picked up an injury and while he was down on the ground the Barca striker tapped the ball into the net) and got knocked out very early in the league cup. I did however manage to win the FA Cup.

Its 2022, World Cup time again so I'm interested in seeing how my players will do. I'm also trying to inject a bit more youth into my team as most of the players that previously brought me success are around 30 or older now.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
My most epic win to date. For the first time in 3 years I failed to defend my UCL trophy, going out to Ajax by losing at home 2-1 in the last 16. My squad morale was down and I needed to win against Manure to keep my title hopes alive. 3-0 down at HT, all my hopes were over. I immediately introduced 3 players at Half time and went 2-5-3 all out attack. What happen later was just fairytale. After this match I also followed up with a 5-0 thrashing for Spuds who is close to the relegation zone already.

wow.jpg

So far I have won the world cup with France, the Euros with Russia, the gold cup and copa america with Mexico. Club level wise i have won everything

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

You need to write a guide :p I do OK but never totally dominate. I think my biggest problem is preparing for individual games, saying the right things to the players, preparing tactics for away games etc.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
The easiest thing to do in this game to keep getting all the best youngsters in the game and just replacing oldies with those that are ready. I do think my tactics is pretty awesome, I have never changed it(only tweaked the CM to AM position and vice versa for some) and used it for all my teams

Top Bottom