• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Manager 2010

James

Established Member
Anzac said:
Clrnc said:
i swear thats the weirdest formation i ever seen, can't even figure out how it will work in real life let alone in a rigid game.

Think of it this way:

........GK...........
........SW..........
......CB....CB....FB
.....CM/DM..CM/DM........
AM.......AM...........
......ST.....ST.....

The width is provided by the wide AM & the FB, who alternate = when the FB goes forward the AM drops deep to keep the width in the defensive line so that it always operates as a back 3 across the pitch, with a sweeper behind them. It plays havoc against a man marking system as the markers of the widemen get dragged out of shape, creating space for the playmakers to exploit.
You love formations.

Anzac

Established Member
James said:
You love formations.

lol = it's part & parcel of tactics, selections & roles in understanding the 'HOW' & 'WHY' we do what we do.

For me putting 11 players on the field in some random/preferred formation, and telling them go to it is tantamount to lunacy, whether it be in a simulation like FM or in real life. You need to know what you want to achieve & how you are going to do so.

The trick is in recognising the strengths & weaknesses in your available resources - your preferred style & shape may not be suited to their capabilities, and you may not have the budget to aquire the calibre or number of players to make it work - so you need to be flexible & able to adapt.

I find it interesting that while this is a fundamental to FM, AW does something quite different in real life.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Spot on, Anzac. I love it when people label tactics talk as a topic only discussed by self proclaiming experts who don't know what they're talking about.

Anzac

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Spot on, Anzac. I love it when people label tactics talk as a topic only discussed by self proclaiming experts who don't know what they're talking about.

lol - call it what you like, tactics, formations, player selections, roles, style = for me they are the building blocks & fundamentals to a team & manager, and are all intrinsically linked to the end result or lack thereof.

DREVAK

Established Member
I can't seem to get a game going. I mean I started a game as Stoke and got the transfer market rolling and already played two league matches (losing to both Liverpool and Chelsea thanks to hattricks by Torres and Drogba, ahem), but I don't know... I wouldn't mind playing as stoke but I miss the promotion battles.

I wanted to pick Ipswich like I did several times in the past but somehow it didn't click and I couldn't get into the game. Cardiff, whom I have taken to the Champions League finals in 09, have got zero transfer budget now and that's just no fun as I really like signing players. Not expensive ones, just obscure and potentially interesting ones.

I don't mind a challenge but right now I'd prefer my usual pick of a decent Championship team with at least some transfer budget to start my glorious promotion crusade. I don't want no rednecky Barnsleys though, I prefer my team to have a fabulous name, badge, some class and things like that (how gay eh!). Well not that the Tractor Boys of Ipswich were exactly a glamorous choice but still. I don't want the top boys like Newcastle or West Brom either. These decisions are annoying.

DREVAK

Established Member
Funny, I actually decided on them after my previous post! Solid transfer budget but still a bit of a challenge with an aging keeper (Radek Cerny), tons of wingers or attacking midfielders of varied skill but few options elsewhere on the pitch, and a bunch of players in need of replacing as usual. And horrible staff. Nice club colours and badge, too! Ahem.

Anyway the season is well underway and the transfer budget is spent. Oh how I love my job! I signed Marek Suchy from Slavia Prague, a decent enough defensive player with supposedly some potential, easily a starter albeit will need to improve in a few weak areas if I get promoted. Quite cheap, too.

Then some Otamendi guy or something from Argentina I think, cost a lot but the scout report was raving about him and he has magnificent physical stats. Not so great on the technical front but decent enough in the centre back abilities.

I was pleased to see how highly rated – deservedly so considering his real life performances I dare to say – another Czech defender, Roman Hubnik from Sparta Prague (on loan from Russia), was, so I signed him and he'll join in January. He cost absolute peanuts (like 300 000 pounds!), can play anywhere in defense and would be a good addition to Premier League teams according to my scouts and me as well after looking at his very solid attributes.

Asmir Begovic from Portsmouth was my last signing. I remembered signing the goalkeeper in 09 and so I scouted him. A bit gamey but he looks even better than last time. Well worth the two million and the high wages I had to offer for him to join a Championship side.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I signed Mark Viduka on a free, hopefully he won't spend the rest of his career in the physio room. I wanted to get a few other free transfers like Lauren or Sol Campbell but other teams offered better deals I suppose. Or maybe weren't Championship squads predicted for a midtable finish.

The current squad is still wildly imbalanced though. I'd love to get rid of several players which won't be a problem I suspect, but their value isn't too high and I expect to make very little money out of that. There's also too many attacking players and not enough defenders or midfielders. I'm also struggling to find a good assistant manager after working hard to get a decent coaching setup going. I do have a few magnificent targets in mind but the club finances don't necessarily agree with me!

GaelForce22

Established Member
Got it a couple of days ago, started with Inter to see what it's like.

But now the real challenge, can I take Leyton Orient to the Premiership?

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I've been reading the Tactical Theorems and Frameworks guide for FM 2010, a must guide for anyone who wants to play the game at great depth. It has also provided me with alot of answers to where I could have been going wrong in my previous teams. Although, it is important to remember that it is only a guide rather than an answer book.

I read your post on the previous page about inconsistency and was going to suggest reading TTF but looks like you've beaten me to it.

I was in your boat with Villa. One week I'd beat United 3-1, next week I'd lose to Stoke 2-0. Whatever happened I couldn't keep a clean sheet.

The biggest thing TTF pointed out to me was the importance of fluditiy and how it fits inwith your strategy of attacking/defending. I was trying to play fluid all the time. So against teams like United it was ok as they attack a lot so it gave me chance to counter and break. But against teams like Stoke who are much more rigid and organised as one big unit rather than individuals it was really hurting me as my players just didn't stick together defensivel.
General rule is defensive = rigid and attacking = fluid, with tweaks to suit your opponents.

I read TTF and went 11 games unbeaten and kept plenty of clean sheets., it really is worth reading it.

Oh and people were discussing PA. You should check out Sp**s' PAs. It'll leave you fuming!

Illusion

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:
Oh and people were discussing PA. You should check out Sp**s' PAs. It'll leave you fuming!

Don't get me started on PA's again :)

Sp**s are second in the Prem in my Forest/Newc multiplayer game, ahead of Arsenal no less, pretty ridiculous.

Here's a little update on my multiplayer league:

2rp5lhv.jpg

Looking very comfortable for promotion this season and I do hope my mate controlling Newcastle is able to hold off Boro. He was 9 points behind them a couple of months back, he clawed it back with an eleven match unbeaten run and now sits four points above them with nine games to go.

My longest unbeaten run this season was thirteen games, the highlight of which was beating Man Utd 1-0 at Old Trafford in the League Cup, unfortunately my Cup run didn't go much further than that.

I've also had a nice run of six clean sheets in a row. My GK isn't anything particularly special statwise, but I've kept faith with him all season and he's played every single minute of every game so far. I think his stats are something like played 46 with 25 clean sheets, can't complain about those. Although, when my team lets in goals it tends to be several of them.

I recently got hammered 4-1 at Anfield by Liverpool in the FA Cup fifth round. I tried to do them the same way I did Man Utd but my team gave away a penalty and the solid pressure absorbing formation started to come undone. Another penalty was given away in the second half and despite brief hope of a comeback as I scored a goal to make it 3-1, Liverpool sealed the deal with a fourth.

Currently playing a pretty standard 4-4-2 formation with one Trequarista and one Complete forward up front, although I do switch to a 4-3-3 against some teams depending on the situation.

Anzac

Established Member
Do you guys use multiple tactics for your games?
Based upon prior TT&Fs from previous games I use about 5 standard formations based upon 'mentality', and have another 2 'go to' formations dependant upon the game situation.
I used to check the match stats after 15 mins to see if my starting tactic was doing the business, and then again at half time, 60 mins, and lastly again in the last 10 mins.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
That's the beauty with the new system. You don't really have to make yourself 5 tactics. The new system does it for you. So you set your formation how you want it and then use the touchline shouts to make it attacking or defensive etc, and it changes it as you would have done using the sliders on 09. The sliders are still there on FM10, they're just behind the player roles and quick settings that we see.

So yeh I use multiple tactics. i think you have to, it's the only way to consistently do well. The key, I've found, is linking your tactic with fluidity.

Oh and my 12 game unbeaten run was brought to an end last night...by Arsenal! **** you all ;)

Anzac

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:
That's the beauty with the new system. You don't really have to make yourself 5 tactics. The new system does it for you. So you set your formation how you want it and then use the touchline shouts to make it attacking or defensive etc, and it changes it as you would have done using the sliders on 09. The sliders are still there on FM10, they're just behind the player roles and quick settings that we see.

So yeh I use multiple tactics. i think you have to, it's the only way to consistently do well. The key, I've found, is linking your tactic with fluidity.
Oh and my 12 game unbeaten run was brought to an end last night...by Arsenal! f**k you all ;)

I was reading the new TT&F & was looking at their formation/tactical examples of 'real life' managers & teams. Based upon that I think it has as much to do with the STYLE you want the team to play, & then matching the INSTRUCTIONS, ROLES & PLAYER DUTY to that, and then adapting that to your team capabilities & opposition etc.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Yeh you're right. But it's vital that you get that fluidity right. For example, Arsenal play very fluid passing football. It works well. But on the game if you were to play very fluid against someone like Stoke or burnley you may struggle because they are solid units.

I was struggling big time with Villa. Had them playing like I wanted going forward (pretty fluid, short passing, using the wings etc) but couldn't keep clean sheets. The problem was that even when I went defensive I was keeping my players fluid and it just doesn't work.

But you're right, You need to decide on a style and stick to it. Buy players who suit it and set their roles etc around that.

TTF is really niteresting, you realise so much more about the game after you've read it.

Anzac

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:
Yeh you're right. But it's vital that you get that fluidity right. For example, Arsenal play very fluid passing football. It works well. But on the game if you were to play very fluid against someone like Stoke or burnley you may struggle because they are solid units.

I was struggling big time with Villa. Had them playing like I wanted going forward (pretty fluid, short passing, using the wings etc) but couldn't keep clean sheets. The problem was that even when I went defensive I was keeping my players fluid and it just doesn't work.

But you're right, You need to decide on a style and stick to it. Buy players who suit it and set their roles etc around that.

TTF is really niteresting, you realise so much more about the game after you've read it.

Did you look at the game stats & analysis?
Do you need to change your shape to plug the defensive issue?

I was pleased they mentioned 'Inverting The Pyramid' = I have a copy next to my bed - lol.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
I needed to be more rigid. I realised that when I read TTF. So now when I go defensive I go rigid or very rigid and it works perfectly, most of the time. As I said, went 12 games unbeaten and kept a fair few clean sheets in that.

Illusion

Established Member
First season of my multiplayer game finished.

I won the league with 107 points (46 games, 34 wins, 5 draws, 7 losses) and I scored 104 goals, conceding 32. Best record in the league in all departments, so I'm pleased with that.

Cup performances were below par apart from the fantastic 1-0 victory over Man Utd at Old Trafford.

My mate playing as Newcastle did manage to get promoted, although by pure luck as much as anything else. He actually finished third but Middlesbrough had ten points docked for going bankrupt (lol) which meant that my mate was pushed up to second place (he was 3 points behind Boro), giving him the second automatic promotion slot.

Tottenham came dangerously close to winning the Prem, they were top of the table going into the last game but managed to draw against Hull and Chelsea won their final game to take the title. Man Utd were third and Arsenal fourth, followed by City in fifth and Liverpool in sixth.

CL went to Real Madrid and the UEFA Cup to Fiorentina.

Along the way my mate decided to apply for the Ivory Coast job since their manager was sacked following a poor ANC performance. He got the job and is now doing really well with them in the world cup. His first game was against Brazil which he won 2-1 (was 2-0 up until the 89th when Kaka scored) and he smashed up Australia and the Czech Republic who were the other two teams in the group. He also received the best draw ever for the next round - Tunisia. Not only that but the biggest teams all drew each other with France vs. England, Spain vs. Germany, Italy vs. Holland and Brazil vs. Croatia.

I set my expectations for the coming season as 'mid table finish', I could have gone for more as I normally do but this time I felt I wanted a slightly more conservative season to consolidate my position in the Premier League.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
If you download it from Steam you don't have to put it on a disc, should just run.

Tottenham are so overrated on this. BUt t'other night I drew 4-4 with them. I scored the equaliser from a penalty in the 95th minute :D

Latest posts+

Top Bottom