• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Formation 20/21 Season

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

What is this Wish List sh*t? Wait till we've signed some damn players.

Divided_Pie

Regardless of starting formation it usually turns in to a 3-2-5 in final phase of buildup.

In the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 there were times Xhaka would drop to the left side of the back 3 and AMN would tuck in to CM from RB.

In the 3-4-3 Luis completes the back three so a CM doesn't need to drop back and a FB doesn't have to tuck in. I agree that with Luiz signed, the apparent desire to sign a left-footed CB, and the fact that Saliba and the other CB signing will be very young and new to the PL, it's likely we'll see a lot of 3-4-3 next season.

When you look at who the attacking five will be, it will be the front three plus the FBs/WBs (similar to Liverpool), or it will be the front three plus AMs (similar to City).

Aside from AMN, who wants to play CM and/or get sold, Arsenal do not have inverted fullbacks. That's actually good because the outside forwards (Pepe and Auba/Willian) will likely be inverted. Therefore the other two in the front five would either be AMs in a 4-2-3-1 or WBs in a 3-4-3.

Many see Auba moving centrally in place of Laca but I don't see it - he lacks the footballing skills and hold up play to do that effectively in Arteta's setup and he's bagging tons of goals from the left. On top of that Arteta has started playing the front three closer together which put's Auba closer to goal. If Laca is sold I see another central striker coming in.

In a 4-3-3 Arsenal could provide the width in the front five with AMs - Willian and Nelson on the right and Saka and Özil on the left. Bar Özil however, they aren't terribly experienced playing centrally.

More importantly, there is no Rodrigo/Fernandino level player to drop in to the back 3, unless we continue to use Xhaka that way on the left, which is not ideal because he lacks mobility and defensive skills. Torreira is simply too small and weak for this role in the PL. If Partey were signed he could potentially play that role but it would limit his offensive contribution. Diawara is a more natural fit there but has been out of form.

All of this considered, the 3-4-3 makes the most sense to me. It worked okay with Xhaka and Ceballos, but if you throw Partey and/or Diawara in to the mix it could work even better with their added strength and mobility. IMO Özil could even play CM in a 3-4-3 with the right partner (e.g. Partey).

Outside you have Tierney/Saka/Kola at LWB and Bellerin/Willian/Cedric at RWB - both sides playing high and wide to complete the front 5 in attack, with the CMs playing progressive passes and making occasional runs forward. The wingbacks have to be hard working all-rounders and I like Willian and Tierney for those reasons.

.....................Leno
........Saliba...Luiz...Gabriel
..........Partey.....Diawara
Willian.........................Tierney
.........Pepe...Laca... Auba

Will be interesting to see how things take shape as players are transferred in and out.

Last edited:

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
God. Why Willian is in your midfield three? :rofl:

Some of these Arsenal fans don't watch Willian aye.

The guy is a natural winger, unless if he has the same passing ability & midfield positioning as Ryan Giggs, he shouldn't be anywhere near playing in midfield.

Was this aimed at me, when did you start watching football? Giggs was never great in midfield but whatever and Willian has been great there loads of times, came in as a midfielder to Chelsea IIRC. I guess Utd fans only watch the results on livescore or sky sports normally.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Was this aimed at me, when did you start watching football? Giggs was never great in midfield but whatever and Willian has been great there loads of times, came in as a midfielder to Chelsea IIRC. I guess Utd fans only watch the results on livescore or sky sports normally.

Quote me when you can prove me wrong not quote me when you have zero evidence that he has the ability to play in the midfield 3 but just your fantasia.

A winger that his ability is dribble, with no awareness proven, no defensively positioning proven, no ability to dictate the tempo & limit passing range. I can still understand if you put him in the hole behind striker as alternative, but as a midfield?

Giggs been playing in midfield in our big games and won us game. He hasn't been great but he has won us league title as our regular midfield in midfield 2 at one point in 2010/2011. What did Willian do?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Quote me when you can prove me wrong not quote me when you have zero evidence that he has the ability to play in the midfield 3 but just your fantasia.

A winger that his ability is dribble, with no awareness proven, no defensively positioning proven, no ability to dictate the tempo & limit passing range. I can still understand if you put him in the hole behind striker as alternative, but as a midfield?

Giggs been playing in midfield in our big games and won us game. He hasn't been great but he has won us league title as our regular midfield in midfield 2 at one point in 2010/2011. What did Willian do?

From central positions Willian averages a goal or assist every game. His also has a very high chance creation. He can play centrally stop being a classic united fan.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Depends on the personnel obviously. For the most part players dictate system and style of play. Unless we bring in AT LEAST another 2 midfielders we won't be playing the 4-3-3 JDP style that Arteta wants us to play and may have to continue with 3-4-3 or some variation of it.

It's not gonna be a case of Arteta deciding to go 4-3-3 because it's his preferred formation, it doesn't work like that and Arteta is far too intelligent to try and force something which won't work. At the moment we've basically only got one midfielder who's in favour and that's Xhaka. So even signing Partey probably doesn't change much, we'd have to sign at least another creative midfielder on top of that.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If Arteta really want attacking football 433 4231 Arteta forced to play 343 because we can't defend and we can't concede 30 shots a game. You see the game against Watford they outplayed us because we got bad defense not unbalanced midfield that's why we bought mari and targeting another CB and want partey

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Gabriel, Partey and Aouar would indicate Arteta wants to play a 433 in most games. Then you can really start dominating teams. Aouar is fantastic in the 433 and can also play as the central CAM in 4231.

Obviously things will change if we cant get our main targets. But I'm starting to think any impending Lacazette sale won't lead to signing another forward if we want Aouar and Partey.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I'd love to see a 4-4-1-1 with Pepe behind the striker, but realistically, it's going to be a 4-3-3 or 4-3-3 hybrid.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

God. Why Willian is in your midfield three? :rofl:

Some of these Arsenal fans don't watch Willian aye.

The guy is a natural winger, unless if he has the same passing ability & midfield positioning as Ryan Giggs, he shouldn't be anywhere near playing in midfield.
:lol: you don't have a clue do you

He played there for Shaktar and occasionally for Chelsea, not sure if this is trolling.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

Ahahaha you dont think Willian playing in midfield is proof enough he can play ind midfield, go back to your stats attack and watching your text updates. Maybe some day you'll watch a few matches.

I'm not even sure what you're saying with this "A winger that his ability is dribble, with no awareness proven"

blaze_of_glory

----------------------Leno---------------------
Hector-------Saliba----CB-----------Tierney
Saka---------Ceballos----Xhaka----Willian
----------------Pepe----Auba--------------

442 proper football lads

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

If we don’t sign Partey and opt for Aouar, do you think something like this would work:

Ceballos Xhaka Aouar​

With the ball we’d be great in drawing fouls further up the pitch with both Ceballos and Aouar.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If we don’t sign Partey and opt for Aouar, do you think something like this would work:

Ceballos Xhaka Aouar​

With the ball we’d be great in drawing fouls further up the pitch with both Ceballos and Aouar.

Xhaka and Ceballos dont work in a 3.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So, you’re trying to say a midfield 3 of Xhaka, Partey and Ceballos wouldn’t work?

I’ve seen a lot of people posting that up on here and Twitter.

Nah not in my opinion. Ceballos and Xhaka are very similar both pretty immobile. Ceballos more of a deep lying play maker like Xhaka.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

Ceballos Xhaka Aouar​

Think we'd struggle a bit ith a high press on Xhaka, but with Tierney and Bellerin on the wings the centrebacks and goalie should have good options. I guess Ceballos and Aouar can drop deeper and collect the ball, while it gets Ceballos playing in that box to box role he desperately wants to be playing in. I think we would murder the lwoer down teams, not sure abou the higher ups.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Ahahaha you dont think Willian playing in midfield is proof enough he can play ind midfield, go back to your stats attack and watching your text updates. Maybe some day you'll watch a few matches.

I'm not even sure what you're saying with this "A winger that his ability is dribble, with no awareness proven"

:lol: you don't have a clue do you

He played there for Shaktar and occasionally for Chelsea, not sure if this is trolling.

From central positions Willian averages a goal or assist every game. His also has a very high chance creation. He can play centrally stop being a classic united fan.

I watched lot of Chelsea games since my best mate is Chelsea fans so I know what is his best position & his assets is a winger not midfielder in midfield 3.

However, I'm not a Chelsea fan who watches Chelsea every single games like you guys so I can't argue about it and I have to agree with you guys. :lol:

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I watched lot of Chelsea games since my best mate is Chelsea fans so I know what is his best position & his assets is a winger not midfielder in midfield 3.

However, I'm not a Chelsea fan who watches Chelsea every single games like you guys so I can't argue about it and I have to agree with you guys. :lol:

Oh well your friend is a Chelsea fan, oh well I stand corrected you clearly know better than everyone else who watches Chelsea. :rofl: Does this work when you say something racist but you have a {insert race here} friend.

But are you actually an idiot? In your first sentence you say you're right then in the second you're saying you're wrong and you dont know? You laugh at the idea of Willian playing in midfield... now you;re saying its not his best position... like I actually thought you were trolling now I'm thinking you might be serious.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom