<

Formation 20/21 Season

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by DennisTheLegend, Aug 12, 2020.

1. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Established Member

I don't know which is the best formation for these players, Arteta will know that better than anyone. But it's cool that we have four players down the spine of the team that i'm very content with: Leno, Gabriel, Partey and Auba. All four pretty much fit the profile of what you'd want from a modern PL footballer.

Whatever the formation is hopefully we can build around that spine.

2. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

Think you have to start the best players then utilise players who's left around them.

Leno, Bellerin, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey, Ceballos/Xhaka, Auba, Pepe, Willian.

In my opinion are pretty much undroppable for a balanced team.

Holding, Saliba, Luiz, Xhaka, AMN, Saka, Laca, Nketiah, ESR, Martinelli, Elneny to fill in the other two spots. And then eventually a world class LW and creative CM signing to complete the team.

3. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James Trusted

I’d like a 4-2-3-1 with Willian and Saka interchanging between LW/AM all game. Ceballos and Partey should be the double pivot.

4. HairSprayGooners

I think I'd still use 343 in big away games with AMN at LWB though. But definitely the 4231 we saw against Sheffield Utd with Partey instead of Elneny.

5. Raicore

Raicore Active Member

Don't dismiss El neny starting..it could be El neny and Partey partnership for all we know ;)

GoonerJay24 and asukru like this.
  6. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Established Member

I think that will be the way, but eventually I'd like us to develop away from Willian and have Martinelli left and Saka at 10.

asukru and RunTheTrap like this.
  7. Chaoz_Enigma

Chaoz_Enigma Well-Known Member

If Partey pairs with Ceballos, will partey be a no 6? Ceballos and probably saka be double 8s?

8. Kobi

Kobi I Know Who You Are

Just thinking, a Xhaka, Partey pairing would have a very similar dynamic to Petit and Vieira.
    Not saying they will be anything like as good (obviously) but just having two 6ft plus midfielders should really help us physically, and hopefully spell the end of five at the back.
    It did a job and helped stem the bleeding but with Gabriel and Partey I think we're okay now and ready to move forward, literally and figuratively.

9. HairSprayGooners

Possibly but I think Partey will be more of an 8 mainly. It'll change from game to game.

The good thing about having Edu at the helm is that he knows what the invincibles had to win titles. He knows what we need to win titles. Partey is the first signing of the sort we've had since Vieira. That in itself is mental, every top top team in Europe has someone like that when they're doing well.

Bayern - Goretzka
    Liverpool - Fabinho
    City - Fernandinho (not so much at the moment which ties in with Fernandinho's decline)

They're very difficult players to get hold of to be honest.

10. Jason Jace

Jason Jace Member

Take out William for ceballos in 433 formation and we will set for an exciting season

11. GoonerJay24

GoonerJay24 Well-Known Member

That's not true though is it...

12. HairSprayGooners

We haven't signed someone like that since Vieira.

13. GoonerJay24

We've not had a defensive midfielder since Viera?

14. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

I do believe Arteta wants 433 but I also believe it will be a flexible one allowing us easy and natural switch to back 3

Think Saka/Niles will be somewhat crucial in that idea as they would offer the ability to play as LwB/Lcm in such flexible system.
    Don't think Mikel will use that formation every single game, but more so then not he will it seams. We got a manager who knows how to do that, he already is showing that system,.and at the end, you need that option to switch easily with same 11 players...Crucial in today's football

SA Gunner likes this.
  15. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

Take Xhaka out and replace with Ceballos

Xhaka is the antithesis of exciting football

16. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

Xhaka is one of the first names on team sheet...

17. GoonerJay24

I cannot see Luiz playing in a back four. Even at Chelsea he struggled more than in a back three so think we'll continue to play the 343 formation

Leno
    Holding Luiz Gabriel
    AMN Ceballos Partey Tierney
    Pepe Saka
    Auba

18. Chaoz_Enigma

Vieira is more of a box-to-box? We were playing 2 in the centre mid with the other CM like Gilberto as a screening mid. The roles are interchangeable when Vieira was paired with petit.

Partey in my opinion screens the backline more and if he goes up for atletico he tends to cut passing lanes. He does some long passings from deep but mostly make progress short-medium passings through the lines. In this case is he more similar to Gilberto?

19. Furious

Furious Emery Gone, Telly Back On

He can do both depending on what Arteta wants from him and whom he partners him with.

20. Chaoz_Enigma

Against big sides probably 343 and that will massively help Luiz. But ultimately we have to slowly phase him out for a back 4 asthat seems to be the way forward with Mikel's tactical choice last week against SHU.