• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That's my only worry, they're all close to being ideal but each is missing one or two crucial attribute which could make the partnership perfect (on paper).

Reckon Wenger realises this but he won't tear up the midfield in one summer. He'll bank on Wilshere picking up some defensive nous, Elneny developing or Ramsey simply returning to his 13/14 self. Not a bad decision imo, the midfield would still be decent even if none of those things happen.
Agreed, think theres some interesting combos there and the spot next to Xhaka certainly up for grabs.

I still have a slight hunch it will be an academy player who complements him the most but of the players already there, I think Wilshere makes the most sense from an offensive POV.

ksarp

And that's why you partner Xhaka with someone who is good defensively as wells as offensively. A box-to-box midfielder like Ramsey.

But my contention is that Xhaka is by design, an 8 so why pair up two 8's? I hate to get sentimental at the mention of Aaron Ramsey, but he shouldn't be in any of the three CM positions (6,10,8) in my estimation on current form.

ksarp

Not necessarily - that kinda defeats the purpose of signing Xhaka in the first place. Coquelin as the 6 may prove to be an uber cautious move in lieu of his defensive abilities, but if we push Xhaka too far forward, we lose his distribution ability in the first phase - unless we look to plant both he and Coq in the first phase which would be a bad idea as we would have no link between them and the furthermost 4 players. Coq will have no impact in possession as the 6 - I actually think Coq would be a better 8 in this scenario. A roaming ball-winner, with decent dribbling ability - a bit like Blaise Matuidi. Push Coq further forward while we're in possession (if you watch us closely, Coquelin does this anyway) and have Xhaka hang back.

The key IMO is the midfielder who accompanies Xhaka in the pivot - the midfielder has to have attacking and defensive capabilities. Last season, Xhaka played alongside a young midfielder in Dahoud who displayed both attacking and defensive qualities. Coq-Xhaka IMO could be too defensive - it's a pairing that would do very well in closing out a game and perhaps springing an effective counter attack in the last stages of a game but I don't think it would be our best combination in other scenarios other than those that require utmost defensive stability, which I would be careful of in terms of our attacking game.

I think Xhaka in the 6 should have a partner who is both skilled at dribbling, is good at ball-winning and can contribute attacking-wise. Ramsey at his best would be a good shout, as would Wilshere but I think all our options while good aren't necessarily the most complementary but we could get them to work. We signed Xhaka primarily because he can defend in the 6 but more importantly he can distribute quickly and effectively - long and short. Coq cannot do that as well as Xhaka.

If truly Xhaka was bought with the intention of fulfilling the 6 role then I pray I am wrong in my belief that he's not a 6. There is only one current pure 6 in our setup, it's not Neny or Xhaka, it's Coq..but what do I know?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth

Do you actually think AMN can do it? I understand he works hard, but does he have the defensive nous?
Strangely enough, I do think he can do it. When I watched him for Ipswich, one of the things that was particularly consistent about him (particularly when he played in a 3 man midfield) was how good he was at tackling, being in position to help his full-back and defending half-space (there was that foul on Wellington Silva though that caused the penalty :lol:). Every time he plays, I see more and more why Wenger likes him as a CM rather than on the wing and stylistically he'd be an extremely good fit for Xhaka.

It's part wishful thinking, but I have a genuine feeling that even if it's not AMN, it will be someone else I'm not thinking of. Conceivably, any one of the midfielders can form a decent partnership but I reckon that none of our first teamers are smooth complements - not that they can make it work.

Sykes

While seeing Xhaka and Coq pair up against MLS all stars, this weird comparison between Coq and Alex Song sprang up in my mind. We all know Coq was initially a b2b and was said to be a bit skillful in the youth teams. I remembered how Song kept on improving in his passing till it was above average and giving RVP those passes.
In a way, I feel a Xhaka - Coq pairing can be a bit similar to Song - Arteta. Maybe I've had too much to drink, but I feel We'll see alot more of Coq - Xhaka this season.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
While seeing Xhaka and Coq pair up against MLS all stars, this weird comparison between Coq and Alex Song sprang up in my mind. We all know Coq was initially a b2b and was said to be a bit skillful in the youth teams. I remembered how Song kept on improving in his passing till it was above average and giving RVP those passes.
In a way, I feel a Xhaka - Coq pairing can be a bit similar to Song - Arteta. Maybe I've had too much to drink, but I feel We'll see alot more of Coq - Xhaka this season.

It was Elneny-Xhaka in the second half against MLS when Coquelin went off.

YaGunnersYa

Coquelin will play an important role next season. People who think he is actually a liability are extremely fickle. Would you rather Flamini or Arteta? I'm very glad we have a guy like him in our squad. Xhaka/Coq as our defensive duo is miles ahead of what we have had the last few years.

No longer a problem position.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think we'll see it a fair few times, and Coquelin will be the one pushing forward when we have the ball. Coq's timing hasn't been so fantastic this pre-season in regards to tackling but once that sorts itself out, he could be a very useful weapon in terms of forcing turnovers higher up the field with Xhaka next to him. I would hope that this is accompanied by some type of defensive strategy to complement tthem as well as the whole team but that would be asking too much of a Wenger led team :lol:

Perhaps from a possession POV, Elneny or Cazorla would be far better bets, but that just means we have options now.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Judging by Arsenal Twitter's response to this game, it seems like there's a collective heel turn against Coquelin growing stronger by the game.

I actually thought that his performance wasn't as bad as some people made out. I do think that his performance today, while defensively sound for most of the game, didn't really help us offensively. I think his role in the team has to be fleshed out and better nuanced by Wenger (which probably won't happen).

I still think he's a valuable squad member so I think some of the comments I've seen about him being "garbage" and the groans when he starts are a bit OTT for me.

Saying that, it's clear why we needed a player like Xhaka, and why Coquelin is probably a tad too limited to be a certain starter every game.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I don't know if it was by Wengers instruction or by accident, but I didn't like it one bit when on first half he would be the highest placed midfielder and also trying/failing one-twos around their box. Everyone knows he's quite limited in tight spaces, so he needs to keep it simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom