• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Please suggest somebody that's realistic that you think can be in the team
I have no idea what you're talking about? The post you've quoted is not for you, the person knows who they are.

In response to your question, if you're talking about Coquelin then the answer is anyone.

FreakySami

I have no idea what you're talking about? The post you've quoted is not for you, the person knows who they are.

In response to your question, if you're talking about Coquelin then the answer is anyone.
Come on, you're still not giving anybody

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Come on, you're still not giving anybody
No, I seriously mean anybody. I may bring on Coq if I need to shore things up e.g take off a forward and bring Coq on as a roaming ball winner.

I would start any midfielder in our squad over Coquelin.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Seeing Coquelin and El Nenny in MF while AMN is at LWB and Willock is not playing really annoys me. Arsène just needs to get rid of these two nothing players and back in his youth.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Ramsey gets killed for a 'purple patch' but he's had multiple spells of good play. Coquelin has been bang average outside of January-May 2015.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Did his more box to box role only start when Cazorla was injured?

I don’t know why these two get so much game time. Both are here through luck and our transfer strategy. We owe them nothing.

IslingtonBornandbred

I was at Wembley against Villa in the final in 2015 and he was outstanding. The key to that type of form was him sitting in front of the centre backs and just doing what he's good at which is literally being aggressive, combative and putting tackles in. On the ball, his job was to move it forward to Cazorla/Özil. Pretty simple.

This "box to box" role has made him look stupid and based on his injuries and Wenger's joke management of trying to transform him he's done here now as far as I'm concerned.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I was at Wembley against Villa in the final in 2015 and he was outstanding. The key to that type of form was him sitting in front of the centre backs and just doing what he's good at which is literally being aggressive, combative and putting tackles in. On the ball, his job was to move it forward to Cazorla/Özil. Pretty simple.

This "box to box" role has made him look stupid and based on his injuries and Wenger's joke management of trying to transform him he's done here now as far as I'm concerned.
That was definitely his best all-round game. There was always going to be a ceiling for him considering how limited he is but that game was the best example of what Coquelin is all about.

nick gould

It dawned to me that Arsenal fans are way too hard to please. In the past a good number of us felt that Coquelin is one of the most underwhelming midfielder in the premier League. However, watching him play against Obiang whom I rate made me realise that actually he is not that bad. Maybe we set our expectations way too high. Either that or we are using him wrong. He shielded the defence pretty well in the same manner that Gueye and Kanti do. Diligently.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I was excited to see how he does as that lone DM with 2 cm’s next to him. We dont usually play like that, but it fits Francis’ quality well. Positioning wise he did really well, and added on that. Hopefully not injured for long

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
We need Coquelin to advance forward only to break up enemy counter attacks, not as an attacker, cause he just can't shoot. Also he needs to keep up that consistent passing like today and work on his physique some more so he wont be dispossesed as easily as he has been in the past. Guy has decent close control and turn radius with the ball at his feet.

8/10 performance for me today.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He's just not as bad as people think. He has strengths and weaknesses like others. He didn't cost £30m though...

Think people are completely underestimating this guy , nearly every major match we have won this guy has been involved in . This pre season he was virtually our best midfielder . His biggest problem has always been he takes an age to regain form after injury.

Thought his distribution this match was pretty good , if that was Xhaka hitting some of those balls .... hell I'd be happy .

pikey2000

Very good last night, kept it simple, 3 tackles and 2 interceptions according to some random stat site, mixed with some nice passes and some neat touches.

Offers something none of our CM's do, an appetite/hunger/enjoyment in ball winning/tackling, until we sign a recognised top ball winner he has a place in our side.

I'd be starting against the bigger teams in a midfield 3 where he sits in front of the defence and just concentrates on winning back possession.

Is he the level of ball winner we truly need to be elite, probably not, is he the best ball winner / out and out defensive mid we have, absolutely yes.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
That was definitely his best all-round game. There was always going to be a ceiling for him considering how limited he is but that game was the best example of what Coquelin is all about.
He had many many games around that level in that amazing period he had before he got injured. He hasn't hit anywhere near those heights since. He was good last night, but still way off what everyone on this forum witnessed, no matter how hard they might try to forget...

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I 'd start him in front of the back 3/4 ahead of Xhaka all day long. Jack and Özil can do the rest.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He had many many games around that level in that amazing period he had before he got injured. He hasn't hit anywhere near those heights since. He was good last night, but still way off what everyone on this forum witnessed, no matter how hard they might try to forget...
The City game comes to mind. Played really smart defensive football. He found his niche and I thought - and still think - having someone dedicated to that is not a bad option to have in the squad. I do think we have a few young midfielders who are more dynamic in terms of their skillset but that doesn't negate how well he had done in the calendar year of 2015. He was really good, and there was hope (particularly on my part) he would develop enough of an all-round game to not end up being an obsolete ball-winner. The FA Cup Final game was as close as he came to showing he had that all-round game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom