• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Franck Ribéry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurgen

Established Member
Saw Ribery for a full 90 mins vs. Heerenveen yesterday, was mightily impressed.
Great pace, technique passing, work rate, bottle. Sometimes he tries to much and he is a cocky git, but maybe that's just what we need. I think he could become the perfect 4-4-2 winger.

hleb

Established Member
You really have it in for flamini dont you Asa. I think he's a decent squad player. More like a 3th or 4th choice in CM. He works hard and is still young. Hopefully he'll improve with experience.

asajoseph

Established Member
I don't like Flamini at all, no...

Honestly, considering he's a decent squad player, all the hullabuloo about signing him and the chances of us dealing with Marseille again, he's really been more trouble than he's worth.

As for him being any good, I've yet to figure out exactly what it is he's supposed to be good at. Which, for a 21 year old, isn't a particularly good sign. Do I expect a mature, complete player? No, not really. But he needs to bring a lot more to the table than he does. Honestly, work rate's all very well and good, but unless you back it up with some kind of substance (i.e. footballing talent), it's wasted energy.

And signing Flamini was exactly that - wasted energy.

Army of Me

Established Member
asajoseph, i have to agree with you, even though i defended flamini in the summer, if signing flamini has meant that we're now exempt from dealing with marseille in the future then it was a bad move.

i do feel falmini has something to offer us, but not a great deal, and if signing flamini has meant we;ve ****ed up our chances of signing ribery, then send him back, give them flamini, 6 million squid and a new rock garden and they can give us franck.

gstew

hleb said:
You really have it in for flamini dont you Asa. I think he's a decent squad player. More like a 3th or 4th choice in CM. He works hard and is still young. Hopefully he'll improve with experience.

AC Milan's Central Midfield choices are:
Kaka, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ambrosini, Rui Costa

Lyon's Central Midfield choices are:
Juninho, Diarra, Tiago, Pedretti

Chelsea's Central Midfield choices are:
Lampard, Essien, Makele, Geremi, Gudjohnson

Barca's Central Midfield choices are:
Deco, Xavi, Van Bommel, Ronaldinho (sometimes), Messi (sometimes), Iniesta

If we want to compete with the best in the world, I don't see how Flamini even comes close to being comparable with 4th choice center backs on the other top teams. He couldn't even carry the boots of Milan's 6th choice.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

For me Flamini has improved quite a bit in the last few months whether he will be world class I don't pretend to know . I do know that Arsène likes him a lot and that we probably will not pick up a centre mid in January Wenger will give the current quartet a chance till the end of the season .

KingReyes

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I don't like Flamini at all, no...

Honestly, considering he's a decent squad player, all the hullabuloo about signing him and the chances of us dealing with Marseille again, he's really been more trouble than he's worth.

As for him being any good, I've yet to figure out exactly what it is he's supposed to be good at. Which, for a 21 year old, isn't a particularly good sign. Do I expect a mature, complete player? No, not really. But he needs to bring a lot more to the table than he does. Honestly, work rate's all very well and good, but unless you back it up with some kind of substance (i.e. footballing talent), it's wasted energy.

And signing Flamini was exactly that - wasted energy.

You've pretty much summed my feeling's on Flamini, couldn't have put them better really. I have yet to see what all the fuss was about both from Arsenal and Marseille. He must be good if they are furious that we got him for free or they just want something.

Anyways I'll stick with the topic as Asa said this Ribery fella looks the goods and could be an ideal replacement for Pires. However after what happened with Flamini I can't see L'OM discussing a deal with us anytime soon, of course everybody has a price and these days money talks.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
celestis said:
For me Flamini has improved quite a bit in the last few months whether he will be world class I don't pretend to know . I do know that Arsène likes him a lot and that we probably will not pick up a centre mid in January Wenger will give the current quartet a chance till the end of the season .

I agree, give him time and he will become a useful player for us, his work rate makes up for him lack of maturity. When learns to channel that energy he will hopefully become a better player. :)

A

Anonymous

Flamini will have to quite literally become something akin to the new vieira before anyone rates him.

Personally, I don't see whats the big deal with him, just another young player, and thus far seems hyper-ordinary, Football wise.

The wrangling over flamini wasn't as big as the principle behind the Arsenal capture. If Ribbery does want to leave, it won't make a difference.
But things in the media suggest he doesn't want to leave anywhere yet.

sabret00the

Established Member
I'm in agreement with everyone else, really if Flamini is the sole reason we can't get Ribery it was the worst business decision ever to get the kid. ok i kinda feel that way already but still.

brianfrance

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Saw Ribery for a full 90 mins vs. Heerenveen yesterday, was mightily impressed.
Great pace, technique passing, work rate, bottle. Sometimes he tries to much and he is a cocky git, but maybe that's just what we need. I think he could become the perfect 4-4-2 winger.

On the other hand, I watched samaras closely. Looked decent, and should have scored.

maradonad2g

samaras is a little more then decent he's amazing just needs to improve on he's finishing and stop trying to dribble past whole teams

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Flamini is good, he just needs games to get experiences.

Developing holding midfielder is not a magic. Don't expect every Arsène's signing can play like Fabregas at 17. I have faith in Falmini.

Ribery's case, there is no trade-off between Ribery and Flamini. Money still talks. Between Marseille's two prodigies Nasri and Ribery, I'd pick Ribery.

I was very impressed with Ribery in the U21 games. But if any one watched the game Marseille-Monaco on C4 last night, you would't be too excited about this Ribery. I watched the game 20 mins and found Ribery is a bit like when van Persie just came to Arsenal. This chap was trying to beat every Monaco player, even other Marseille players were around to support him.

Ribery needs time, so does Flamini.

hollow

gstew said:
hleb said:

If we want to compete with the best in the world, I don't see how Flamini even comes close to being comparable with 4th choice center backs on the other top teams. He couldn't even carry the boots of Milan's 6th choice.

Geremi is a black Phil Neville and Gudjonsson is a striker. Plus Chelsea play three in midfield. Maka is injured and they have to rest Lampard at some point.

Just to add a little perspective. We aren't as thin in midfield in comparison to other teams as is often made out.

gstew

hollow said:
gstew said:
hleb said:

Geremi is a black Phil Neville and Gudjonsson is a striker. Plus Chelsea play three in midfield. Maka is injured and they have to rest Lampard at some point.

Just to add a little perspective. We aren't as thin in midfield in comparison to other teams as is often made out.

You've got to be kidding me:

1) Geremi is still in his prime and was good enough for Real Madrid...Boro were very upset to lose him as he was their best midfielder...He starts for a very good Cameroon national team.

2) I can't think of any objective person who would rather have Flamini in midfield than Gudjohnson (regardless of his natural position). Gudjohnson has just as good a work rate as Flamini, while also posessing far greater skills, scoring ability and experience.

3) They still own Smertin who is a very good player and is captain of the Russian national team. If you have seen both Smertin and Flamini play, it is quite obvious who is better (for now).

4) If they are short players in CM, then they can always switch to a 4-4-2 to accomodate their personnel strengths. It isn't brain surgery and players can adapt.

5) We are thin in central midfield in comparison to all other top teams. The best teams in the Europe (and probably the world) are Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juve, Milan, Lyon, Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. These nine are a full level above the next tier (Inter, Liverpool, PSV, Valencia, etc.). Out of the nine, there are only two that are short of quality, quantity and experience in central midfield, ManU and Arsenal.

kel varnsen

Established Member
gstew said:
hleb said:

first of all. flamini is as good as geremi, ambrosini and tiago. second, most of these teams play with a three man midfield. third, barca's central midfield choices are deco, xavi, van bommel, marquez, edmilson and motta. flamini is on the same level as the last three.

flamini is a decent footballer and a good 4th choice central midfielder.

KingReyes

Established Member
You can stick Frank Ribery up your arse, we've got Ryan Smith running down the wing for us in the years to come.

i hope so anyways :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom