• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Frech football

bobbypires

Established Member
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm not English, so I'll tell you which clubs are popular in Spain. PSG, Marseille and now Monaco. :D
It's very difficult to find people wearing shirts of French clubs over here. They're considered by the press as Portuguese teams (not great teams, but neither bad ones). I don't think so. Portugal only have Porto. But everything is different when they talk about La France. There are only praises.
My favourite French team is Metz and I also like Sochaux. And France is my favourite national team (obvious reasons).

Andrew

Not best, but the ones I see as most popular...

1. PSG
2. Marseille
3. Monaco
4. Lyon
5. Lens
6. Auxerre

BTW, I think French teams are underrated, as shown by their European success this year. The French league is perhaps the 4th or 5th best in the world.

Soler

Established Member
I'd rate it equal to Germany now, Andrew. The Bundesliga has gone into rapid decline as of late, which is a shame. I think it'll be interesting to see how Werder Bremen (seven points clear of Bayern Munich with eight games to go) go in next season's Champions League.

lewdikris

Established Member
French football was probably most popular in England in the last 15 years when Chris Waddle was at Marseille, and Hoddle was at Monaco ... it boosted interest massively.

Auxerre have got a lot of attention recently - particularly amongst Arsenal, United and Liverpool fans, as we seem to be trying to buy half their team.

Mark

Established Member
The French league has some good players but it takes them a while to settle in when they come to Engand. Pires, Cygan etc. It's not the greates of leagues, but it's not that bad. I think these are my favourite french clubs:

1. Lyon
2. Monaco
3. PSG
4. Marseille
5. Sochaux

beaney

1. Lyon
2. Monaco
3. PSG
4. Marseille
tends to be these guys in no particual order.
for obvious reasons Monaco are our favourite french team for the short term!

jc8gooner

I like Monaco, personally. 1) The Arsène Wenger connection. 2) The cool stadium-unique to say the least.

French football is not thought of as strong in England, but the players that come from the French league and move to England Spain and Italy are generally very good. If all the French national players played in the French league, it would be very strong.

brianfrance

Established Member
Hey ça va mec ! Jsuis un ptit frenchie perdu ici comme toi :wink:

I'll repeat again and again the same words : French league won't go up to the English, Spanish or Italian level coz of all tax
I must search in my old "france football", somes years ago there was an article which show the difference for an English, Italian, Spanish, German and French team about the cost of a same player
I don't remember well, but I think it was in France 100'000 EUR per month and 60'000 for England > finally same money for the player, near 45'000-50'000 EUROS.
CLEAR !

By the way, I'm very surprised to see Sochaux, Metz (Lens not surprised, as they played Arsenal in european cup)

Here IMO the famous English team here :
1° Arsenal, no doubt, on the summer you can see many people with the beautiful shirt
2° Manchester United
3° Liverpool (not for Houillier, but for the long story and Anfiel Road)
4° Chelski (not really since it's Chelski, but since deschamps, petit, gallas, and before, when Zola Vialli Flo etc.. played for)
5° The 5 is difficult, but I think it's one of these : Leeds, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Tottenham

Mark

Established Member
brianfrance said:
5° The 5 is difficult, but I think it's one of these : Leeds, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Tottenham

People outside England have heard of Tottenham?!? :lol:

JGooner

I always suspected that France's onerous tax burden was one of the reasons why their domestic football league hasn't become world class, so it's good to see that brianfrance is confirming this.

I think the most popular French teams in England are:

1. PSG (everybody knows about them - probably because they are based in Paris)
2. Monaco (because of Hoddle, Wenger, etc.)
3. Marseille (because they won the European Cup - well, sort of - in the 1990s)
4. Auxerre (because players like Cisse, Mexes, and Boumsong keep being linked with British clubs)
5. Lyon (because of their recent success)

Mark

Established Member
I completely forgot about Auxerre for some reason. They have some good players.

brianfrance

Established Member
Mark said:
brianfrance said:

People outside England have heard of Tottenham?!? :lol:
yeah !! :lol: one of the reason is when ginola was on his top level, he played for them; Others reasons are .... french sometimes are crazy :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom