• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Freddie Adu signs for MLS

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
why shold he wait if he's ready? he's not your "average" 14 year old... besides, its not like he will be playing against Paddy any time soon.. he'll be playing in the MLS for Chrissake... LOL

thegame24

Established Member
doesnt matter hes a 14 year old BOY u hear that hes only a BOY. the kid is still growing and who knows once he gets bigger he might loose some of the talent. hes still got lots of natural mass to gain and hes gotta get used to that weight.

kNiteMare

playing him in pro too soon risk havnig him burn out too early. Competetive match take much more physical strain on the body than you can imagine. If he is played too early he will start dropping at 26/7 (when prime supposedly) and by late 20s he will have to retire.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
playing in the MLS is NOT like playing in any European team... its a much different atmosphere and league. the standard is not as high, and there are a BUNCH of "kids" playing in the league.... (17-19 year olds). and because he has been drafted to play, doesnt mean he will get too many actual match time at first.....

as much as it pains me to say it, MLS is a major step down in quality AND work-out quality... Adu wont have to transition THAT much from playing for the U-20 national team... (in which half of THOSE players already play in the MLS).... playing in the MLS wont exactly "burn him out" as fast as people might think... by the time he hits 17, he will be by far the best player in that league, and then be ready for the big move across the pond....

barnone

When you compare it to English football, yes, the MLS pales. But its really only 7-8 (I think) years old. They are doing some things right- like building soccer-only venues and keeping the number of teams in the league low. The latter of which helps the talent pool depth. As the years go on, though, I still see alot of the US talent going across the Atlantic- for obvious reasons. This will hurt the star marketability that can help a league grow (See Michael Jordan, NBA) but it will be better for the individual players.
The quality of training and coaching at youth levels over here has always been inferior because the focus is on football(American), baseball, etc. With a few exceptions, once a player turns 12 or 13 the quality of these components isn't worth it and they turn to other sports.
It will take years for the MLS and soccer in general to grow and become better, but I see more and more lately to be positive about it.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I don't honestly think the standard of the league is particularly relevant, it's the damage that will be done to his body, which at 14 is still growing.

Look at this list of players:

Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Jermaine Jenas, Kieron Dyer, Wes Brown, John O'Shea... and many others.

What have they all got in common? All were played a lot whilst there bodies were still growing and all have had long term injury problems because of the stress and strain on their bodies.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
EIN, whilst I understand your concern for the young players getting burned out, you HAVE to take the strength of a particular league into account...

in the MLS, Bobby Convey has played for 2 years since he was 16, and he is not even CLOSE to being burned out and he is one of the better players in the league...

younger players in the MLS tend to do well as opposed to the EPL, which is much more of a "brutal" league (more physical)....

and barnone, im not going to get myself started about MLS again, this was not an attempt to slam the MLS, it was merely pointed to make a point about the difference in the leagues... yes, we all know MLS is doing OK and they are only 7-8 years old (yada yada yada)...

sounds like the beginning of my argument with Brian & Gilberto (or Brian = Gilberto).. LOL

Adam

Established Member
US and EIN are both right. Play them, but don't burn them out. Do so in moderation. Perhaps as substitutes or as starters once in a while. The sad truth is that it isn't always the case.

Wenger knows when a youngster is physically ready to have consistent first team football. Alot of people fail to understand this.

barnone

USArsenal said:
and barnone, im not going to get myself started about MLS again, this was not an attempt to slam the MLS, it was merely pointed to make a point about the difference in the leagues... yes, we all know MLS is doing OK and they are only 7-8 years old (yada yada yada)...

I understood your point about the MLS though. Like you I'm a fan of the Premiership and it's hard not to compare the MLS to it. An analogy would be that the EPL is like a fine automobile- sleek and exiting but smooth. The MLS is still in the junkyard looking for a bumper from a 88 Oldsmobile.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
LOL, good analogy....

and Adam, yes, this is true... and TBH, i dont think he will start straight away... kind of like Rooney is doing with Everton

quattro

imo, its not only the physical strain but the mental ones as well. i dont know if this comparison is accurate but if there's a sport where they start them out young its women's tennis and they have an age restriction rule. the likes of jennifer capriati started playing pro at that age (iirc i think even younger) and halfway through her career she was burnt out mentally getting into all sorts of trouble. martina hingis now is retired and she started young... she's only 22, the ideal age to peak for a tennis player of her caliber.

on the physical side, it doesn't matter how crappy the league you're playing in is. football is always rough and getting banged up is just a fact of life regardless of the talent level of the pool. it might do him more harm than good.

i think he would've been better off at clairefontaine... or better yet at arsenal ;D

Latest posts

Top Bottom